Re: Bryn Back

by brendywendy » 05 Sep 2008 14:38

Nah
karacan to fight it out with cisse as the CM back up to marek and harps
brynn as multi purpose substitute

Streets

by Streets » 05 Sep 2008 14:45

winchester_royal Apparently Gunnar is close to a return.

I'm actually more concerned than pleased., especially given his form last year. He has lost his pace, and is no longer the player he was before, and I am worried he may stint the development of Karacan, and maybe even get in the team ahead of Marek.

Anyone else share these concerns?

TBF he lost his pace at Watford before he even arrived here. He could be a reasonable sub but to be honest - Harper, Marek and Karacan are all ahead of the Gun.

Bit part player and off in January I hope. (based on his none involvement and waste of a 'decent' wage)

Captain Lager

by Captain Lager » 05 Sep 2008 15:47

Karacan will be out the team when Marek is back anyway so doesn't make a great deal of difference if Gunnar is fit. I foresee many sub appearances with 2 minutes on the clock. If only Harper moved on..

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 05 Sep 2008 16:37

Of course it will be great to have him back when he is fit. Bryn is a wise head and a solid pro who is there to do a specific job whatever is asked of him. He gives us several options and rarely lets us down.

For energy and tempo there is Karacan, but if we want to spoil and frustrate and eke (sp?) out those 1-0 away wins, Bryn is the man.

He's our Martin Peters - ghosting in late at the near post for a well timed firm header to the far left corner.

Note to SC - this only happens from corners on the right.

So - not an auto choice by any means but pick and choose tactically and he is a very welcome addition.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 05 Sep 2008 17:32

loyalroyal4life
The Surgeon of Crowthorne
RG1 Export Don't think there's any chance of him replacing Matejovsky or Harps however I do agree this could possibly hinder Karacan's development which I would definitely be worried about.

What he said

how can it hinder his development? If he plays well when given the chance then he will stay in the team, if anything, he will know he has bryn coming back which will act as a motivator to play well consistently.

Henry's development is more likely to be hindered by the form shown by Kebe thus far, at least Karacan has been given a chance to prove himself

I can see Karacan not even making the bench once Marek, Cisse & Boris are all fit, regardless of the form of any of them (& assuming they all get fit at more or less the same time).

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 05 Sep 2008 17:40

Dick Habbin's hairdo Of course it will be great to have him back when he is fit. Bryn is a wise head and a solid pro who is there to do a specific job whatever is asked of him. He gives us several options and rarely lets us down.

For energy and tempo there is Karacan, but if we want to spoil and frustrate and eke (sp?) out those 1-0 away wins, Bryn is the man.

He's our Martin Peters - ghosting in late at the near post for a well timed firm header to the far left corner.

Note to SC - this only happens from corners on the right.

So - not an auto choice by any means but pick and choose tactically and he is a very welcome addition.

I'd start looking for someone to replace him but yes, he adds something to our squad assuming that he has the legs to do so.

That would be my main fear. He'd clearly lost something between the two Prem seasons.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 05 Sep 2008 18:35

He can still do a job but much like our last Championship season...from the bench. Bring him on in the last 20 minutes to keep things tight...as Brendy has said he is also very good in the air and might just nick a goal or two....but I dont think he should start.

RNH63
Location: 1,2,3 to the 4........my hardcore lyrics could knock down your front door.

by RNH63 » 05 Sep 2008 19:07

Bryn was far too slow for the prem but championship may be his level. Lets w8 and see. Certainly wouldn't in front of Harps or Marek though.

K'off Newbie, I know!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 05 Sep 2008 22:46

Sick Boy: Well, at one time, you've got it... and then you lose it... and it's gone forever. All walks of life: George Best, for example. Had it, lost it. Or David Bowie, or Lou Reed...
Renton: Some of his solo stuff's not bad.
Sick Boy: No, it's not bad, but it's not great either. And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just... shite.

joe999

by joe999 » 05 Sep 2008 23:59

papereyes Sick Boy: Well, at one time, you've got it... and then you lose it... and it's gone forever. All walks of life: George Best, for example. Had it, lost it. Or David Bowie, or Lou Reed...
Renton: Some of his solo stuff's not bad.
Sick Boy: No, it's not bad, but it's not great either. And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just... shite.

great film, but if you're saying bryns shite then I totally disagree with you :)

one of our most intelligent players with probably the best shot deserves at least the bench

would put him ahead of cisse and karacan at the moment

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Sep 2008 17:54

I'd start with Bikey and Marek, or maybe Marek and Bryn if Bikey in midfield is too risky.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Sep 2008 18:30

joe999 I see your point, but personally, no.

Was pretty awful in the prem in all honesty, but his intelligence rather than pace or skill will make him a good player in the championship if he plays.

good thinking head, and one of the few players we have who could bang one in from outside the box

Would be good IMO until Marek's back, Karacan looked a bit out of his depth against Palace.

I agree.

Plus I think the worst thing one can do to a youngster is throw him into the team for long stretches and we depend on him. Then when he has an inevitable off game it can damage his confidence. I'm more in favour of starting Karacan every now and then, becoming more regular as the likes of Bryn, Marek etc get tired/ injured?

joe999

by joe999 » 07 Sep 2008 01:37

yep my thoughts exactly, particularly with Mareks fitness looking like his weakness

Chillitsphil

by Chillitsphil » 07 Sep 2008 02:09

The difference is that Bryn will never be good enough to play in the EPL and push us on to the next level, Karacan could be... so it would seem logical that Jem will get the nod.

joe999

by joe999 » 07 Sep 2008 02:12

agreed, he has a lot of potential, but as 2 world wars said, we wouldnt want him playing every week JUST yet, because his inexperience could show when playing against some established championship sides.

Bryn has the intelligence and experience to play every week for 60-80 mins, then give Jem a run out if we're in a comfortbale lead or need a change

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 07 Sep 2008 05:39

you know what you get with him, can start or can come on to close out games....

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 07 Sep 2008 10:23

The Surgeon of Crowthorne I can see Karacan not even making the bench once Marek, Cisse & Boris are all fit, regardless of the form of any of them (& assuming they all get fit at more or less the same time).

Just substitue Doyle for Karacan and you've got your answer.

If he's good enough he will play.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 07 Sep 2008 11:37

just look at our form after he got sent off against west ham, he played 1 game? after that and our form fell dramatically after we repeatedly got run over in the midfield. We had no ball winner and no one willing to make the tackle that may have cost him a booking. Will be like a new signing when he comes back

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 07 Sep 2008 11:39

gazzer, loyal royal just look at our form after he got sent off against west ham, he played 1 game? after that and our form fell dramatically after we repeatedly got run over in the midfield. We had no ball winner and no one willing to make the tackle that may have cost him a booking. Will be like a new signing when he comes back

Other than the games against the Top 4, it was like that with him in the side ...

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Sep 2008 14:08

Chillitsphil The difference is that Bryn will never be good enough to play in the EPL and push us on to the next level, Karacan could be... so it would seem logical that Jem will get the nod.

logic doesnt come into SSC team selection