Ipswich v Reading - Match thread

232 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Ipswich v Reading - Match thread

by Royal Lady » 13 Sep 2008 17:35

Has Doyle said he wants to leave? I thought he had more or less said that they'd do his utmost to get us back up, now that no-one has come in for him.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Sep 2008 17:35

1960 Look at Fulham. Almost certs to go down last year and only made it on GD with a goal at Portsmouth in the last game. Now they've bought Zamora, Johnson and Gera and they're flying. If we had stayed up would we have strengthened like this? No.

And Long started? What must N Hunt think, when he's brought down from Scotland, scores when chosen for cup games and then is not chosen again? How is this going to foster teamwork? Yeah, Noel, we'll pick you for unimportant League Cup games, but when it matters we'll choose someone who hasn't scored for months.

I'm pretty sure Hunt will play on tuesday. A good game to get his first league start I'll wager...

Spud
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Spud » 13 Sep 2008 17:35

thirtyyarder
Royal Lady I thought we were talking about this season - but if you want to talk about yo-yoing, I'd take going up one year and going down another over going down from the Prem and never having the chance to get back up there.

Is that what has happened? I thought that we had just lost a few tricky away games.

LEGGI PREDICTS:
After another no show, dire, performance at Watford 2 weeks ago, its time we got our first win at Portman Road, Jim will no doubt change the team for Reading's visit, (he'll probably change it again even if we win) and the Town faithful will demand a better display than the previous 2 League games at Home. Sadly though, I feel it will not come this weekend, Its worrying times to be a Town fan at the moment, I'll predict a 3-1 defeat. The ex-Premiership team having much more talent than we do!!!!

This Ipswich fanzine never thought it would be tricky...we have more talent ... :D
The point being, week in week out we will be shown up for what we are to fans of other teams in the division who think we are still good and trading on our prem status. Certain parties need a big reality check in our team cos I'm still not sure they've got the message.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 13 Sep 2008 17:36

There has again been so much tooing and froing about the likes of Hunt and Doyle about their "prospective" moves to the premiership, we hear and read on Sky Sports about bids for Hunt, which were strongly denied by both clubs, and the tv rumours about Doyle, which to have been strongly denied by all concerned, a lot of the words on these two have come fairly and squarly from the pesty, interfering agents, but they would seem to have done their jobs and unsettled the two of them. But it has to be remembered that it is not only some players that dont want to be here the owner has made it clear that hasn't the slightest interest in the in the club, he has done what he set out to do and got us into the Premiership, although to be fair to him he never said he would keep us there !! he has been a hero in what he has done for us over the last 14 or so years but he is rapidly undoing all that now. As far as the manager goes I fear him leaving purly because we will go for the cheapest possible replacement, and in all honesty who with any pedigree is going to a club who have been widely qouted as not being prepared to spend on fees or wages, no one is going to take a job that is likely to put a big black mark on a mangers CV

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 13 Sep 2008 17:36

Kin L.... I'm flying back for the match next Saturday - think I'll stay in the pub in Bushey....

Having said that, I still think we have the team and the squad to get a play-off place this year. However, it's the gutless, spineless hoofball that we play away without any tempo or rythmn that really needs sorting.... now!

Tuesday - nice easy game, huh? Has anyone actually looked at thetable and seen where Wednesday are? :roll:

thirtyyarder

by thirtyyarder » 13 Sep 2008 17:42

LEGGI PREDICTS:
After another no show, dire, performance at Watford 2 weeks ago, its time we got our first win at Portman Road, Jim will no doubt change the team for Reading's visit, (he'll probably change it again even if we win) and the Town faithful will demand a better display than the previous 2 League games at Home. Sadly though, I feel it will not come this weekend, Its worrying times to be a Town fan at the moment, I'll predict a 3-1 defeat. The ex-Premiership team having much more talent than we do!!!!

This Ipswich fanzine never thought it would be tricky...we have more talent ... :D
The point being, week in week out we will be shown up for what we are to fans of other teams in the division who think we are still good and trading on our prem status. Certain parties need a big reality check in our team cos I'm still not sure they've got the message.[/quote]

there might be some other views on there where their more knowledgeable fans might be anticipating a close 1 -0/ 2- 0 victory. If I chosea qoute from here and said this was representative of all royals views we might come across as a bunch of Gus´s :shock:

Must go, lovely sparring with you, see you on Tuesday :)

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Sep 2008 17:46

What worries me is we've played two poor sides and beat them, we've played 3 average sides and been out played. Created nothing against Forest, taken apart by Charlton and today sounded just as bad.

There's no obvious week link in this squad, you just feel Coppell hasn't got rid of the problems we had last season.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Sep 2008 17:54

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe What worries me is we've played two poor sides and beat them, we've played 3 average sides and been out played. Created nothing against Forest, taken apart by Charlton and today sounded just as bad.

There's no obvious week link in this squad, you just feel Coppell hasn't got rid of the problems we had last season.

I know what you mean. I do feel we are a bit weak in central midfield though. I would actually welcome Gunnar back at the moment...

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 13 Sep 2008 17:56

winchester_royal We are currently 7th, and have had 3 tricky away games.

With our current mindset every away game is tricky.

chandog

by chandog » 13 Sep 2008 17:57

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe What worries me is we've played two poor sides and beat them, we've played 3 average sides and been out played. Created nothing against Forest, taken apart by Charlton and today sounded just as bad.

agreed
the problem is we have a fairly good squad when you just look at the names
it's when you take into account certain players attitudes and confidence levels that these weak links appear
doyle and Shunt want to be playing just about anywhere other than reading
long and harper seem to have lost any of their previous ability over the last couple of games
madejski has said he wants out but there is no one who wants to buy the club

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 13 Sep 2008 18:00

chandog

agreed
it's when you take into account certain players attitudes and confidence levels that these weak links appear
long and harper seem to have lost any of their previous ability over the last couple of games

Luckily Doyle is playing in a position where we have alternatives. S Hunt, on the other hand, only has the ineffective Convey as a threat to his position.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Sep 2008 18:00

chandog

agreed

I disagree about Doyle and Shunt - it's too early to say.

Long has not been good for an awfully long while.

I basically agree about Harps - don't think he is playing well this year...

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Sep 2008 18:01

Harper doesn't do change. Pardew leaving, Sidwell leaving, relegation.

chandog

by chandog » 13 Sep 2008 18:03

Archie's penalty
chandog

agreed

I disagree about Doyle and Shunt - it's too early to say.

Long has not been good for an awfully long while.

I basically agree about Harps - don't think he is playing well this year...

it seems to me that we are having the same argument about Shunt and doyle on two threads at the same time
:lol:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Sep 2008 18:04

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Harper doesn't do change. Pardew leaving, Sidwell leaving, relegation.

Sorry I don't get you.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Sep 2008 18:05

chandog it seems to me that we are having the same argument about Shunt and doyle on two threads at the same time
:lol:

I really need to go and watch the Citeh game or enjoy a bit of the Manchester :shock: sunshine! :D

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 Sep 2008 18:13

winchester_royal LOL @ everyone writing off our chances after 6 games. We are currently 7th, and have had 3 tricky away games.

We still have Marek to come back.....things are not as bad as some of the cocks on here make out.

Will he have got faster and developed some stamina?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 13 Sep 2008 18:19

Steve Coppell "I'm obviously very disappointed. It breaks my heart to see Reading fans leave before the end.

"I'd say today we were done. The first goal was critical. We'd created good early opportunities and if we'd taken one it was a different game. It could have been 2-2 at half time, it was so open.

"At half time we wanted to up our game, they got the critical goal and then had more control. We got more desperate and our desperation to score gave us major problems in the last five minutes.

"It was similar to the Charlton game, we seemed to be OK creating chances but not good taking them. We're porous at the back, we've got to look at that and deal with it.

"Right now we're taking one step forward and one back. That's no good to get out of this division.

"Not many players can say they played well. That's happened a couple of times now and it's a concern.

"Yes we had players away this week but we looked like strangers with some of our passing. We've got to be better.

"I think there will be changes now. I don't know where but there will be changes."

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Sep 2008 18:20

papereyes
winchester_royal LOL @ everyone writing off our chances after 6 games. We are currently 7th, and have had 3 tricky away games.

We still have Marek to come back.....things are not as bad as some of the cocks on here make out.

Will he have got faster and developed some stamina?

Dunno, but his passing, ability, and creativity will still be there.

Royal Spangle

by Royal Spangle » 13 Sep 2008 18:24

Lmao @ Coppell saying he is going to make changes after today's game :lol: He wont drop his "golden boys" what ever the result , I seem to remember him saying he was too loyal to the players last season - and looked what happened. He said he wouldn't do it this season :roll: well sir steve your crown is slipping , and as for changes - I won't be holding my breath. Roll on the next transfer window....... mmm :oops:

232 posts