Back from the Game

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Back from the Game

by Alan Partridge » 20 Sep 2008 20:54

Genuine feeling from those that went is that we battered them and should have won, I find it slightly concerning that the only way we scrapped a point in the end is from a goal that never was and a penalty.

Bad day in front of goal? Or is it just to be expected when Shane Long is playing for 40 minutes?

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 20 Sep 2008 20:57

Alan Partridge Genuine feeling from those that went is that we battered them and should have won, I find it slightly concerning that the only way we scrapped a point in the end is from a goal that never was and a penalty.

Bad day in front of goal? Or is it just to be expected when Shane Long is playing for 40 minutes?

Despite the way the goals came from we deserved more but for the ref, and Shunt being on the end of all good crosses.

I'm sure we wouldve won the game if N Hunt would've stayed on.

towserSL2crew

by towserSL2crew » 20 Sep 2008 21:20

The ref was a disgrace today , not often you hear both sets of fans singing the same songs about a ref ( stand up if the refs a twat)
We played ok but our use of the ball was not good , we gave it straight back to Watford too often and paniked a lot , lashing it away instead of playing our way up the pitch.
Never mind we got a point lets go up and do Stoke on Tuesday now.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 20 Sep 2008 21:21

As usual there are mixed views about how we played-Archie seemed to think we were great,Billy thought we played too much long ball and somebody else thought we played a passing game.
It was a very strange game-I felt that Watford had most of the play in the first half but couldn't play a final ball and lacked imagination.
Ours was the usual mixed bag of dazzling runs by Kebe but no end product and some aimless long-balls.
In the second half I thought we played some decent football mainly down the right with interpassing between Karacan,Kebe and Rosenior.
A draw was probably a fair result but it was crazy how the game got to 2-2 and although the ref was very iffy he did at least consult the linesman for our first goal and gave the right decision for the Long penalty.As for Bikey's "goal" I can only think that Bikey must have pushed the defender but from a Reading point of view it felt like a harsh decision.

Earlier Archie spoke about our determination but I really can't agree.
Yes Karacan,Armstrong,Pearce and Bikey all put their foot in but overall we are still a bit of a wimpish side.
It's fine when we are playing at home but away there always seems to be that lack of concentration and determination and the willingness to let the other side shoot as we stand off (e.g. Stead's goal last week).
Until we battle more away from home we will be relying on our home form to keep us in contention.
I think we are badly missing Kitson's physical presence at both ends of the pitch which means that we are stuck at least until January with littl'uns playing up front and putting such little pressure on the standard 2 giant (relatively) defenders.
We might do o.k v Swansea because they are not strong centrally at the back but for away games I do think that we need that bit more steel to succeed.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 20 Sep 2008 21:29

chilipepper91 many other niggling ones, such as a corner against Armstrong at the end of the first half, when it took no touch off him.

Whilst I will never defend the ineptitude of the worst officiating crew I have seen in over 40 years of fooball, that decision was the sole one that lino actually got right all day long. It DID take a nick off Armstrong, clearly heard by those of us it happened right in front off and only about 12 yards away.

I had some sympathy with Boothroyd getting sent off as the lino did that thing where he waits to see what the referee gives before making his own "decision" and then both lino and referee signalled for a Watford throw...right up to the point a Watford player tried to take the throw, at which point the referee blew up and said it was the other way. :shock: Fcuk me, how hard could it possibly be?

Everyone knows what was wrong with our first "goal", but there was nothing wrong with Bikey's goal and we should have had three penalties for fouls on Long and Doyle before even he couldn't say no to such a blatant trip.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 20 Sep 2008 21:37

strap However, based on what little commentaries filtered through to my PC today, he was cr@p. Kebe is simply a clown.Someone has to point out the elephant in the room!!

Your jaundiced view of Kebe is, I'm afraid, the elephant in your particular room. You may base your opinion of him on other games you may have seen, but YOU WEREN'T THERE TODAY. You cannot possible base a judgement on something you haven't seen with your own eyes. Kebe was outstanding at times, particurlarly with one driving run at the heart of the Watford defence ended by a pearler of a shot that their keeper had to tip over the bar at full stretch. He beat players time and time again down the wing and put in crosses that Watford had to deal with every time. Not one cross ended up in the crowd behind the goal and only one was hit in such a way that it just cleared Doyle's head by inches.

You weren't there...you, sir, are the clown.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 20 Sep 2008 21:40

I was there today - just for a change - and I'm afraid to say that Kebe is a clown.... sure he has some twisty turning skill but nobody - least fo all him - knows what the feck he is going to do with it before he either runs in to an oppo defender or hoofs it too long or out on the cross. Head down.

RL - rough diamond, indeed. Perhaps we should send him to Antwerp for a couple of years for polishing.

1871royals

by 1871royals » 20 Sep 2008 21:43

Before the game considering the number of injuries Watford had I thought we should beat them.

First 15 minutes we looked very creative and Watford couldn’t seem to get out of their half. N Hunt missed a sitter, Bikey hit the bar and Kebe had one of his dazzling runs (I think he is so closer to scoring a wonder goal.) After the goal we seemed to sit back but looked relatively comfortable.

Difficult to see what happened for their goals from the away end. For the first it seemed we never cleared a set piece and the second appeared to be a good bit of football.

S Long winning a pen puts a false gloss on what was an embarrassing performance. He has got to be one of the most overrated players in our squad. He has been here for 3 years and hasn’t progressed at all. Leroy or Mooney should definitely be ahead of him in the pecking order. He does one good think every 10 subs appearances, and their must been a reason why he has never been considered good enough to start regularly for the last 3 years.

Kebe, Roseiner and Karacan were the 3 best players imo. I think something exciting is going to happen every time Kebe gets on the ball. Fast becoming one of my fav players. Jem seemed to get around the pitch and made an impact. Personally I think Jem is too similar to Harps. We need a ballwinner ever game since Sidwell’s gone we don’t have someone to win the ball. Obviously we can’t sign someone of his calibre but we definitely need a similar type of player.

I think with the addition of a ballwinner we should make the playoffs and maybe sneak automatic.

It really frustrates me that we seem to be overrun in every game but yet the management don’t think we need a ballwinner!

SirGarth

by SirGarth » 20 Sep 2008 21:59

Anyone remember Tommy Youldens 'goal' that wasn't many years ago?
We went up that season :D

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 20 Sep 2008 22:15

1871royals Before the game considering the number of injuries Watford had I thought we should beat them.

First 15 minutes we looked very creative and Watford couldn’t seem to get out of their half. N Hunt missed a sitter, Bikey hit the bar and Kebe had one of his dazzling runs (I think he is so closer to scoring a wonder goal.) After the goal we seemed to sit back but looked relatively comfortable.

Difficult to see what happened for their goals from the away end. For the first it seemed we never cleared a set piece and the second appeared to be a good bit of football.

S Long winning a pen puts a false gloss on what was an embarrassing performance. He has got to be one of the most overrated players in our squad. He has been here for 3 years and hasn’t progressed at all. Leroy or Mooney should definitely be ahead of him in the pecking order. He does one good think every 10 subs appearances, and their must been a reason why he has never been considered good enough to start regularly for the last 3 years.

Kebe, Roseiner and Karacan were the 3 best players imo. I think something exciting is going to happen every time Kebe gets on the ball. Fast becoming one of my fav players. Jem seemed to get around the pitch and made an impact. Personally I think Jem is too similar to Harps. We need a ballwinner ever game since Sidwell’s gone we don’t have someone to win the ball. Obviously we can’t sign someone of his calibre but we definitely need a similar type of player.

I think with the addition of a ballwinner we should make the playoffs and maybe sneak automatic.

It really frustrates me that we seem to be overrun in every game but yet the management don’t think we need a ballwinner!

I was already celebrating when Noel headed into what was a certain goal, but fro my view he headed it so well he headed it onto his foot that then sent it onto his head again & wide. :?

I dont rate Long at all but i thought he did well, he outpaced a few and got the pen where he swanned beautifully....

We do lack in the centre of midfield, jem was more active than harper and jem was just a yard of his passing but for work rate his superb. The problem in the centre might be down too having 2 wide players but with what the extra the wide players add then it is worth putting up with.

I am not harpers biggest fan but i did not notice he was playing today, tho he does run his head off.

tlcs

by tlcs » 20 Sep 2008 22:31

About 10 mins before the end of the match there was an incident on our left involving the linesman and the ref and it looked like they where comparing notes.

I think the linesman was checking his betting slip and has it down as a 2-2 draw
and the ref had shunt down as the last goal scorer so i think they both played their parts well.

The worst officals ive seen at a game for more years than i can remember.

Now there is a hugh gap in class between the premiership refs and these twats in the championship

Royal Boil

by Royal Boil » 20 Sep 2008 23:24

Re Kebe. It's amazing how short people's memories are around here. I can remember Sonko during his first season with RFC and what a donkey he was. Waste of space doesn't even begin to describe it. He couldn't head the ball, couldn't distribute the ball, but by God he could hoof it up into row Z, which is what he spent most of his time doing. Fast forward a while and he's turned into Superman and is a crowd favourite. To me, Kebe shows the same sort of latent promise. There's something there, certainly in the way that he goes past opposition players, but the final ingredient, with that telling final ball or that instinctive football brain, is still missing. Be a bit patient and I think he'll eventually get it, just like Eliza Doolittle, by George. And as BBCRB keep saying, if he wasn't so inconsistent we wouldn't have landed him!

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 20 Sep 2008 23:30

Royal Boil Re Kebe. It's amazing how short people's memories are around here. I can remember Sonko during his first season with RFC and what a donkey he was. Waste of space doesn't even begin to describe it. He couldn't head the ball, couldn't distribute the ball, but by God he could hoof it up into row Z, which is what he spent most of his time doing. Fast forward a while and he's turned into Superman and is a crowd favourite. To me, Kebe shows the same sort of latent promise. There's something there, certainly in the way that he goes past opposition players, but the final ingredient, with that telling final ball or that instinctive football brain, is still missing. Be a bit patient and I think he'll eventually get it, just like Eliza Doolittle, by George. And as BBCRB keep saying, if he wasn't so inconsistent we wouldn't have landed him!

I think he'll turn into a great player for us

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 20 Sep 2008 23:42

kwik-silva
Royal Boil Re Kebe. It's amazing how short people's memories are around here. I can remember Sonko during his first season with RFC and what a donkey he was. Waste of space doesn't even begin to describe it. He couldn't head the ball, couldn't distribute the ball, but by God he could hoof it up into row Z, which is what he spent most of his time doing. Fast forward a while and he's turned into Superman and is a crowd favourite. To me, Kebe shows the same sort of latent promise. There's something there, certainly in the way that he goes past opposition players, but the final ingredient, with that telling final ball or that instinctive football brain, is still missing. Be a bit patient and I think he'll eventually get it, just like Eliza Doolittle, by George. And as BBCRB keep saying, if he wasn't so inconsistent we wouldn't have landed him!

+1

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 20 Sep 2008 23:49

URZZZZZZZZ
kwik-silva

+1

+2.

Will take time but will come good.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 21 Sep 2008 00:01

I've not been to the game today, other commitments took priority, but I do feel that we should have done something to level up the scores again. It obviously wasn't a goal, so scoring an own goal would have been fairest i think.
However, it appears Bikey had a perfectly good goal disallowed, so maybe what comes around goes around.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 21 Sep 2008 00:07

I am fed up with the negative vibes regarding Armstrong, to me he has been one of best signings in years. He has fitted in straight away and does his job. 90% he is in the correct position & makes many interceptions.

As the goals were at the other end of the pitch i cant be 100% if he was at fault but he was one of better players, i have him down as Mr consistent & i am surprised that we have signed such a good left back in this current market without looking to the future.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by URZZZZZZZZ » 21 Sep 2008 00:15

2.8 lita injection I am fed up with the negative vibes regarding Armstrong, to me he has been one of best signings in years. He has fitted in straight away and does his job. 90% he is in the correct position & makes many interceptions.

As the goals were at the other end of the pitch i cant be 100% if he was at fault but he was one of better players, i have him down as Mr consistent & i am surprised that we have signed such a good left back in this current market without looking to the future.

I agree

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 21 Sep 2008 00:23

Watford fans could be the worst in the league.

Apparently they thought "shit on the floor" was a racist jibe.

This whole day has got me mighty angry, i think i need sleep.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by URZZZZZZZZ » 21 Sep 2008 00:27

willz_royal Watford fans could be the worst in the league.

Apparently they thought "shit on the floor" was a racist jibe.

This whole day has got me mighty angry, i think i need sleep.

Watford fans have always had a rod stuck up where the sun don't shine.