Will Marek get in?

Friday's Child

Re: marek back in reserves

by Friday's Child » 04 Oct 2008 12:06

I think Jem / Bryn would continue to start, with Harper/Marek on the bench, Cisse could be centre-back cover with Pearce and Duberry. Now THAT is quite a lot of good options, plenty of teams would kill for that.

I expect the healthy competition to push our starters into performing to their absolute best. And I fully expect Coppell to bring in Marek or Harper if they underperform. Cisse needs to get used to being a centre-back again where he was initially excellent last season*.

* initially!

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 04 Oct 2008 12:08

rg6royal
Gus the teenage cow
rg6royal What I'm trying to say is that I think it's wrong that a player like Jem has come in and put in a good shift and could possibly be dropped in the near future just because a higher profile player is waiting to come back in.

well football isn't dictated by some kind of moral code or moral obligation, it's dog eat canine out there and the better player should be selected

I know but I'm just expressing my view that I don't think it's fair on the other players.

who said the game was fair son?

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 04 Oct 2008 13:41

Royal Lady As much as I think Jem is a good, I do think Marek is the better option at the moment. A game can turn on him - his vision is brilliant.

But his visionary passes never actually go to our strikers. Also, he is a bit lightweight. Marek will be good as a substitute.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Oct 2008 14:04

Marek coming back to fitness gives us great options. However, I think Bryn is the undroppable player. He's not outstanding at ony one thing but has by far the best all round game of the four central midifielders. He can tackle, he can pick a pass, he's a threat at set pieces, he's pretty versatile and he has experience. I can see him making a decent partnership with any one of Harper, Matejovsky or Karacan because he posesses what the other three lack. The only thing he lacks is mobility which is the one thing all the other three have. It's just a question of picking and chosing the partnership for a particular game.

superroyaldude

by superroyaldude » 04 Oct 2008 18:29

Marek would cause aboslute havock in this league and the strength of Reading will just be reinforced. However him coming back does come at a price and sadly i think Jem will be the one who will pay, not because he is bad its just because Jem and Marek are 2 very similar players and Gunnar is that strong force that sits back. Yes Jem is a brilliant player but Marek is a much better, more experienced player. Shame he doesnt get passed the ball that often when he is playing.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Will Marek get in?

by howser » 05 Oct 2008 13:51

Very much agree there superroyal, I think that once 100% fit then jem will be given a rest, young lad in the first team for the first time I fully expect SSC to rest him up for a while, and he will become better and stronger for it. The other point to make is that Marek has been a bit " injury prone" since he has been here and he doesn't appear to be a quick recoverer from injury so there are going to be many opportunities for Jem to get back into the side, for me particularly over the cold winter months where I feel his energy and enthusiasm might be a better prospect, might be wrong there !! but only time will tell.

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 05 Oct 2008 14:08

superroyaldude Marek would cause aboslute havock in this league and the strength of Reading will just be reinforced. However him coming back does come at a price and sadly i think Jem will be the one who will pay, not because he is bad its just because Jem and Marek are 2 very similar players and Gunnar is that strong force that sits back. Yes Jem is a brilliant player but Marek is a much better, more experienced player. Shame he doesnt get passed the ball that often when he is playing.

Jem is more like Gunnar in my view. They do everything well without being exceptional at any one part of the game. Marek will be very valuable in games such as yesterday. Burnley played 5 in midfield and made our wingers come inside when we had posession. That in turn meant we had to pick tight passes in central areas. Step forward Marek for one who excels at that as many sides will play that way against us at the Mad Stad.However, other options may be better away from home on a cold night up North.
The good news is we have strength in depth in just about every position which is crucial in a 46 game league. Happy days :) !

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 05 Oct 2008 14:15

OLLIE KEARNS
superroyaldude Marek would cause aboslute havock in this league and the strength of Reading will just be reinforced. However him coming back does come at a price and sadly i think Jem will be the one who will pay, not because he is bad its just because Jem and Marek are 2 very similar players and Gunnar is that strong force that sits back. Yes Jem is a brilliant player but Marek is a much better, more experienced player. Shame he doesnt get passed the ball that often when he is playing.

Jem is more like Gunnar in my view. They do everything well without being exceptional at any one part of the game. Marek will be very valuable in games such as yesterday. Burnley played 5 in midfield and made our wingers come inside when we had posession. That in turn meant we had to pick tight passes in central areas. Step forward Marek for one who excels at that as many sides will play that way against us at the Mad Stad.However, other options may be better away from home on a cold night up North.
The good news is we have strength in depth in just about every position which is crucial in a 46 game league. Happy days :) !

I think all this shows the sheer difference in class between the Premiership and the Championship.

I am very happy at the moment though.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Oct 2008 15:41

Will Marek get back in?

Don't know, but what a great problem to have!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Oct 2008 16:04

In a word - No.

Not until we lose or until Bry or Jem is injured.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 05 Oct 2008 16:37

...or Harper...or Murty...?

chandog

by chandog » 05 Oct 2008 16:45

Man Friday ...or Harper...or Murty...?

given roseniors recent performances i wouldnt want murty to come back to the first team
murty is never fit and is getting on a bit wheras LR is the future

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Oct 2008 16:54

Steve Coppell has stated (and shown) many, many times that as long as players are playing well and the team is winning then he will not drop anyone - no matter who it is coming back from injury.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 05 Oct 2008 17:00

Suits me (sir).

Kevin Doyles Right Foot

by Kevin Doyles Right Foot » 05 Oct 2008 17:17

If its broke, don't fix it. simple. Keep jem and gunnar in there

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Oct 2008 17:19

Kevin Doyles Right Foot If its broke, don't fix it. simple. Keep jem and gunnar in there

We need a search party for the missing AIN'T

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 05 Oct 2008 17:46

marek in, karacan out

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Oct 2008 18:20

I'm hoping Jem can learn a lot from Gunnar during their time together in the first team. Gunnar doesn't have a lot of time left for us and if Jem can learn fromhim I think he could forge a very nice partnership with Harper or Marek. Or both in a 3 man midfield.

In fact I'm salivating at the prospect of Harper, Marek and Karacan.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Oct 2008 20:16

Ian Royal I'm hoping Jem can learn a lot from Gunnar during their time together in the first team. Gunnar doesn't have a lot of time left for us and if Jem can learn fromhim I think he could forge a very nice partnership with Harper or Marek. Or both in a 3 man midfield.

Really ?

Who gets left out ? SHunt, NHunt, Kebe or Doyle - or are we going with only three at the back ?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Oct 2008 21:51

Franchise FC
Ian Royal I'm hoping Jem can learn a lot from Gunnar during their time together in the first team. Gunnar doesn't have a lot of time left for us and if Jem can learn fromhim I think he could forge a very nice partnership with Harper or Marek. Or both in a 3 man midfield.

Really ?

Who gets left out ? SHunt, NHunt, Kebe or Doyle - or are we going with only three at the back ?

Kebe for me as a bit of a luxury player, certainly for the premier league, which is what I was thinking. He'd make a pretty good impact sub though. I'd play Doyle upfront alone with NHunt and SHunt acting as winger-cum-wide forwards. Still 4 at the back.