Simon Church

171 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Simon Church

by winchester_royal » 15 Oct 2008 19:44

Victor Meldrew I agree with AP that on this site as soon as anybody shows a glimmer of form he is thought immediately able to play first team football-there is also a post in another section about the young boy scoring 3 goals against Bashley for Basingstoke at a level which is not much higher than park football.

Victor, I posted that on the Loan Watch thread, because it is someone who is playing out on loan.

All I commented on was what the 'Stoke fan told me.

Not once did I say that Mitchell Bryant should be anywhere near the 1st team.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 15 Oct 2008 19:50

Lita has never been the same player since he came back from the U21s and announced he would not be signing a new contract. Mentally he is not committed and in return RFC have been reluctant to back a striker who wants away on a free (which he will undoubtably do this xmas as his contract runs down) consequently if sh*t happens he will be first in line to be dropped. I have also heard plenty of rumours as to his behaviour (one or two I can personally verify but won't post on here) which suggests the penny has yet to drop as to what seperates the really good players from those that think they are.

As for Church he strikes me as being like Cox was, good enough for division one, possibly good enough for the championship if he works hard, but doesn't have the pace that is required to play at the highest level. In such a case I couldn't see him breaking into the first team set up in the near future.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 21 Oct 2008 05:15

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/oct/21/walesfootballteam-championship

Scouting Report: Simon Church, Reading
Three goals for Wales Under-21s against England suggests Simon Church has a bright future ahead of him

I went to Villa Park to watch England against Wales Under-21s with an open mind to see how good Wales were, considering they had finished above France in their European Championship qualifying group. One player who caught my eye was Simon Church. I had heard very little about him but was impressed by his return of three goals in Wales's two-legged play-off against an England side who had conceded only one goal in the whole of their campaign.

He is a very good finisher, an ability encapsulated by Wales's second goal when what might have appeared to the layman as a simple finish was in fact a well timed run and execution that had to be dug out very quickly after Church realised that the goalkeeper had closed him down. Being able to adapt in so little time is the sign of a natural goalscorer.

That was far from the only strength to his game as he showed a willingness to work in defence. When Aaron Ramsey released himself from his advanced central-midfield role to close down one of the centre-halves on the ball, Church moved to look after the left-back nice and early so that he was not required to chase out of position.

He always tried to read the opposition defence when they were in possession, looking to exploit potential mistakes. Indeed he almost succeeded on two occasions, coming within a whisker of getting on the end of two short back-passes. He surprised the two centre-halves with a decent leap, showing he can more than hold his own in that department, and for someone whom you would not class as a target man his first touch and hold-up play were not bad.

He worked well off his partner on the night, Sam Vokes, going directly in behind the flick-ons but making angles when Vokes had time to pick him out. He was a willing option for his winger when his team-mate was faced up by two opponents and he was quick to get in the box when he was one-on-one. His positioning and judgment of a cross coming in was good, borne out twice in a melee of players when he popped up with two headers at goal.

However, for all his good play around the pitch it is the box where he comes alive and feels most comfortable. This was best summed up when he received a ball surrounded by three English players: in a tight area he controlled, turned, jinked again when he couldn't get his shot off, cut between two defenders and shot just wide. He did, however, get a dressing down from his manager, Brian Flynn, when the best cross of the night skidded across goal but he was nowhere to be seen, having switched off after the build-up.

This is a player who has yet to make a first-team appearance for his parent club, Reading, but has been loaned out to Crewe, Yeovil and Wycombe where he has managed one goal in 22 appearances. For Wales he has seven goals in 10, which makes me wonder why he has not made more of an impression at club level. This is a mystery to me - his is surely a career waiting to happen.
How he rates

Age 19

Born High Wycombe

Position Striker

Height 6ft

Weight 13st 4lb

From Youth team

Pace 8/10

Heading 8/10

Shooting 9/10

Team responsibility 8/10

Valuation £300,000

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 21 Oct 2008 10:06

shit report really, thanks for posting but if he cant work out he played out of position whilst on loan its not exactly well researched

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 21 Oct 2008 10:32

juanpablo shit report really, thanks for posting but if he cant work out he played out of position whilst on loan its not exactly well researched

very good report of his performance in the two games vs england u21 really,which is all it professes to be, apart from the fact that he didnt pick up on that one obscure factoid.

looks like another good kid, with a good future ahead of him-to have this many players who are considered close to 1st team football at this level is testament to our academy-you dont expect a big return, and from where i sit we have two or three players who could possibly do the business at an even higher level. pleasure to see

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 21 Oct 2008 10:52

juanpablo shit report really, thanks for posting but if he cant work out he played out of position whilst on loan its not exactly well researched

I think the clue to this is also in the article:
I had heard very little about him

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 21 Oct 2008 11:37

Nice write up for Churchy. Now we need to get him his loan to at least a division one club. Hope Copps is on the case.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 21 Oct 2008 11:43

Archie's penalty Nice write up for Churchy. Now we need to get him his loan to at least a division one club. Hope Copps is on the case.

He's gone back to Wycombe

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 21 Oct 2008 12:21

Alan Partridge
Archie's penalty Nice write up for Churchy. Now we need to get him his loan to at least a division one club. Hope Copps is on the case.

He's gone back to Wycombe

Well let's hope he plays and scores regularly. He must be running high on confidence anyway...

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 21 Oct 2008 12:59

Something else to consider....

For all the new young talent coming through Wales ranks, they are still short on decent strikers. With a bit more improvement I reckon he will be in and around the full team squad for years to come, and quite possibly a regular starter. All of which must be good for his development. Wales might not have the best players, but they do try to play football.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 21 Oct 2008 13:19

rotherwick_royal Something else to consider....

For all the new young talent coming through Wales ranks, they are still short on decent strikers. With a bit more improvement I reckon he will be in and around the full team squad for years to come, and quite possibly a regular starter. All of which must be good for his development. Wales might not have the best players, but they do try to play football.

Watching those two games has made me very excited about the future of Welsh football.

Just one comment - Ched Evans is probably the first in line of their young strikers. Then it's a toss up between Vokes and 'our' Simon.

Hoping he starts tonight for Wycombe. Looks like he will from a casual glance at their website...

Pablo

by Pablo » 21 Oct 2008 13:32

Church has been very good when playing for Wales U21 and Crew on loan but has he had any first team experience for Reading?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 21 Oct 2008 13:54

Pablo Church has been very good when playing for Wales U21 and Crew on loan but has he had any first team experience for Reading?

Not yet, but at 6ft and Mooney not quite there yet (or at all), he might not be that far off. Maybe a year away.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 21 Oct 2008 16:28

Deathy
Pablo Church has been very good when playing for Wales U21 and Crew on loan but has he had any first team experience for Reading?

Not yet, but at 6ft and Mooney not quite there yet (or at all), he might not be that far off. Maybe a year away.

maybe a couple of stone away too

chandog

by chandog » 21 Oct 2008 16:35

Wax Jacket maybe a couple of stone away too

as we ve got neil ruddock selling programmes as part of soccer am i think we have found the perfect role model for church if he needs to put on weight

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Oct 2008 16:36

So when exactly did he play out of position then?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 21 Oct 2008 16:49

Hoop Blah

So when exactly did he play out of position then?

I've heard he played on the wing quite often for Crewe but I have found no evidence to corroborate such a notion.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 21 Oct 2008 16:51

I have to point out something - unless I've missed a post somewhere.
In both U21 games he scored, he had a fantastic midfielder supplying him with some neat passes and through balls (Ramsey), which he probably doesn't get from going on loan to a League 2 club.
Every striker needs a ball supply.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Oct 2008 16:53

I'm pretty sure he played the majority of his games for Crewe upfront. I remember a the time that they thought he was pretty handy up there, even though he didn't get on the scoresheet that much.

I've seen him play 5 or 6 times and to be honest I can't see him making any impression at Reading. He's ok, but nowhere near the level Cox was at the same stage and, even though I don't rate Long, he's not got as much about him as him either.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 21 Oct 2008 16:55

Well Wycombe have only scored 13 goals in 11 games this season.

I'm not sure Simon is going to get them regularly there...

We just have to wait and see I suppose.

171 posts