Back from the Burnley game...

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game...

by PEARCEY » 29 Oct 2008 10:26

braindead Without a doubt you are the best side to visit Turf Moor this season, and to be fair you deserved something from the game.
I thought we were going to get hammered after the first 20 minutes, when you hit the woodwork and Jensen made some excellent saves, but we gradually came into the game, although Doyle & Hunt gave our makeshift back four some worrying times.
I also thought that Harper and the other guy (Sorry can't remember his name) in Central midfield totally dominated Joey Gudjonnson & Chris McCann for the first hour and as a result we were a little disjointed and laxkin a decent supply line to our forwards.

Credi where it's due your following was excellent considering the weather and the distance and if you continue playing like that you may even finish above us :wink:

Thanks for such fair minded comments. What you say about our central midfield, ie Cisse and Harps will by-pass some posters on here who will slate both of these players despite it appearing they both played well.
Good luck for the rest of the season.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 29 Oct 2008 10:33

thanks for the report braindead, i heard exactly the same from my old man who was at the game that especially cisse was our best player last night closing everything down making big challenges. no doubt a lot of hobnobbers will look at the result and just presume that because harps and cisse started we lost and because the new golden boy mr karacan didnt start who hasnt done anything different to what harps has done and got slated for on here, maybe also because henry didnt start :o ...

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 29 Oct 2008 10:33

hughsies no.1 thanks for the report braindead, i heard exactly the same from my old man who was at the game that especially cisse was our best player last night closing everything down making big challenges. no doubt a lot of hobnobbers will look at the result and just presume that because harps and cisse started we lost and because the new golden boy mr karacan didnt start who hasnt done anything different to what harps has done and got slated for on here, maybe also because henry didnt start :o ...

Agreed.

braindead

by braindead » 29 Oct 2008 10:42

Another point - Bikey is a giant of a man, but why did he take that free-kick with the attcking talent you have at your disposal?

I have to say that I have been on the end of results like that where the opposition keeper has his best ever game (and believe me - he did) and it isn't pleasant, but continue playing like that and, although it is a cliche, you will definitely win more games than you lose this season.

Good luck & maybe see you at Wembley 8)

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 29 Oct 2008 10:45

I'm no fan of Cisse, however I think Coppell got the selection right, Karacan has played a lot recently and Gunnarsson simply can't play 2-3 games a week, even the bench i liked the look of. What I can't quite understand (especially after we went 1 down) why didn't he change it? Why not give Matejovsky 10minutes and see if he could create something? Or go 3 up top with Long on, may as well lose 2-0 trying as to lose 1-0 (after the goal Gale said we offered nothing) that's the thing with Coppell that irritates me, he allows the game to drift by without any proactive subs. He's more than happy changing our two midfielders with 5 minutes to go or giving Long 2 minutes at the end but that's all irrelevant. The bench is there for 2 purposes, 1) to cover an injury and b) to change the game, it's as if he doesn't trust the guys on the bench or think they won't make any impact. If that's the case then he's got a lot to answer for because he's the one that signed them all.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 29 Oct 2008 10:49

Alan Partridge I'm no fan of Cisse, however I think Coppell got the selection right, Karacan has played a lot recently and Gunnarsson simply can't play 2-3 games a week, even the bench i liked the look of. What I can't quite understand (especially after we went 1 down) why didn't he change it? Why not give Matejovsky 10minutes and see if he could create something? Or go 3 up top with Long on, may as well lose 2-0 trying as to lose 1-0 (after the goal Gale said we offered nothing) that's the thing with Coppell that irritates me, he allows the game to drift by without any proactive subs. He's more than happy changing our two midfielders with 5 minutes to go or giving Long 2 minutes at the end but that's all irrelevant. The bench is there for 2 purposes, 1) to cover an injury and b) to change the game, it's as if he doesn't trust the guys on the bench or think they won't make any impact. If that's the case then he's got a lot to answer for because he's the one that signed them all.

Yep agreed. Matejovsky was definitely worth a punt....absolutely nothing to lose.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Oct 2008 10:52

bikeys a big guy, would you want to argue with him if you were stephen hunt!?
hes been after a free kick all season, and that should hopefully put that to bed for a bit!

sounded like we totally dominated for 30 mins, they came into it a bit as we started looking to half time, second half we dominated again, but as the game went further and further, we kept creating and missing chances we just got more and more desperate, and started throwing men forward-just needed the awareness to realise that 0-0 is a good result, but it wasnt there, and they sucker punched us again.

substitutions wise- we were dominating the game until the last ten minutes, and its perhaps easy to see why coppell thought we are bound to score if this keeps up, everyones playing well, ill leave it be, then they scored, and slowly it became apparent wed lost the plot,and he obviously thought making a change then would just waste time.
personally i think marek in the middle for harps, and long up in a three with kebe off, and hunt dropping into the middle 3 could just have made the difference though.

all in all a terrible result, and its not good enough to highlight the positives, and say we deserved to win, because its happened too much recently-we need some real grit but we are so fragile, and keep throwing things away-and i think its clear to all now that the 05/06 team would have buried that game without creating as many clear cut chances, we just aint clinical, and we aint strong enough mentally, and thats what that team had, that we dont now.
im gutted, and we need a big effort on saturday in front af a packed away end to get three points to make this week anything other than a total nightmare.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 29 Oct 2008 10:53

braindead Without a doubt you are the best side to visit Turf Moor this season, and to be fair you deserved something from the game.

Keep hearing this from opposition fans this season, but right now I'd rather we be a bit more Birmingham and grind out wins on the road (last night excepted in their case). I'm sure it'll come, although footballers are funny creatures and these results might start messing with their nerves a bit.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 29 Oct 2008 10:57

brendywendy bikeys a big guy, would you want to argue with him if you were stephen hunt!?
hes been after a free kick all season, and that should hopefully put that to bed for a bit!

sounded like we totally dominated for 30 mins, they came into it a bit as we started looking to half time, second half we dominated again, but as the game went further and further, we kept creating and missing chances we just got more and more desperate, and started throwing men forward-just needed the awareness to realise that 0-0 is a good result, but it wasnt there, and they sucker punched us again.

substitutions wise- we were dominating the game until the last ten minutes, and its perhaps easy to see why coppell thought we are bound to score if this keeps up, everyones playing well, ill leave it be, then they scored, and slowly it became apparent wed lost the plot,and he obviously thought making a change then would just waste time.
personally i think marek in the middle for harps, and long up in a three with kebe off, and hunt dropping into the middle 3 could just have made the difference though.

all in all a terrible result, and its not good enough to highlight the positives, and say we deserved to win, because its happened too much recently-we need some real grit but we are so fragile, and keep throwing things away-and i think its clear to all now that the 05/06 team would have buried that game without creating as many clear cut chances, we just aint clinical, and we aint strong enough mentally, and thats what that team had, that we dont now.
im gutted, and we need a big effort on saturday in front af a packed away end to get three points to make this week anything other than a total nightmare.

One of your best posts tbf, although I must say a point at Bristol City would at least claw back something from this week. Need to find a plan B and have got to sort our forwards out, all well and good thumping a side once every so often but i'd take a couple of 1-0's and 2-1's thankyou. No goals from our strikers away from home tells it's own story.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Oct 2008 11:01

yeah, id take a point right now,fo' sho'
and i can even see another wolves performance at the weekend in my most positive moments.
but in my more negative ones im even considering bringing lita back early!

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 29 Oct 2008 11:19

Well done to all the posters who got back from the game within an hour.

:roll:

Basically, we played some good stuff last night and going forward always looked a threat; the fact that we lost was down to their keeper making some fantastic saves (the one in the second half to keep out a header from 6 yards was unbelievable!) and to the woodwork. It is no exagerration to say that we could have easily had 3 or 4 last night.

But we lost - thats football.

As for the players:

Defence:

Marcus had a better game than of late, Liam fell over a couple of times at crucial moments but linked well going forward with Kebe, Stretch got caught out of position a couple of times but always did enough to recover, Ingi was solid, Bikey was much better than Saturday though still prone to the odd lapse.

Midfield:

Cisse dominant in the middle, Harper had a typical game - good and frustrating in places. Kebe had some good runs and was stopped from scoring by the the woodwork and a couple of great saves, whilst SHunt had a better game than of late but was still not as good as he was before the International break.

Forwards:

Doyle and NHunt linked well and always looked dangerous - had the defence all over the place first half and Doyles turn and shot that crashed against the inside of the post were sublime.

We will play a lot worse than that this season and win.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 29 Oct 2008 11:25

Mr Angry Well done to all the posters who got back from the game within an hour.

:roll:

Eh? First post on this thread was at 00:40.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 29 Oct 2008 11:26

Mr Angry Well done to all the posters who got back from the game within an hour.

It took me two hours to get home. I live in Manchester. I could have got home faster but we waited in Accrington and Bolton for booked customers who didn't show.

Sowwy.

Clocks haven't changed, though, so its 23:40. Which is nearly 2 hours. :roll:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 29 Oct 2008 11:37

How many fans made the journey up there?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Oct 2008 11:54

PEARCEY
I thought we were going to get hammered after the first 20 minutes, when you hit the woodwork and Jensen made some excellent saves, but we gradually came into the game, although Doyle & Hunt gave our makeshift back four some worrying times.
I also thought that Harper and the other guy (Sorry can't remember his name) in Central midfield totally dominated Joey Gudjonnson & Chris McCann for the first hour and as a result we were a little disjointed and laxkin a decent supply line to our forwards.

Credi where it's due your following was excellent considering the weather and the distance and if you continue playing like that you may even finish above us :wink:

Thanks for such fair minded comments. What you say about our central midfield, ie Cisse and Harps will by-pass some posters on here who will slate both of these players despite it appearing they both played well.
Good luck for the rest of the season.

From now on, should I not go away to a match I will read opinions from Opposition supporters.
Much better than the gash, bell-end remarks from our lot.
Most who comment on the match don't even go to the match and still feel qualified to speak about the 'performance'.
All bell-ends.

braindead

by braindead » 29 Oct 2008 11:55

300-350 at a guess. Pretty quiet though, having said that it was fecking freezing and we weren't exactly loud

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 29 Oct 2008 12:05

papereyes

Clocks haven't changed, though, so its 23:40. Which is nearly 2 hours. :roll:

:oops:

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 29 Oct 2008 12:14

PEARCEY
Alan Partridge I'm no fan of Cisse, however I think Coppell got the selection right, Karacan has played a lot recently and Gunnarsson simply can't play 2-3 games a week, even the bench i liked the look of. What I can't quite understand (especially after we went 1 down) why didn't he change it? Why not give Matejovsky 10minutes and see if he could create something? Or go 3 up top with Long on, may as well lose 2-0 trying as to lose 1-0 (after the goal Gale said we offered nothing) that's the thing with Coppell that irritates me, he allows the game to drift by without any proactive subs. He's more than happy changing our two midfielders with 5 minutes to go or giving Long 2 minutes at the end but that's all irrelevant. The bench is there for 2 purposes, 1) to cover an injury and b) to change the game, it's as if he doesn't trust the guys on the bench or think they won't make any impact. If that's the case then he's got a lot to answer for because he's the one that signed them all.

Yep agreed. Matejovsky was definitely worth a punt....absolutely nothing to lose.

may well of been saved for saturday!! we need to stop seeing all these comments of how amazing we played and how unlucky we were to come away with nothing. At the end of the day that wont see us get promoted!!!

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 29 Oct 2008 15:52

I feel embarrased we didn't win. We created so many good opportunities yet couldn't finish for the life. As the game went on, Burnley were getting more into the game and made the subs at the right time.

M0J0

by M0J0 » 29 Oct 2008 17:15

papereyes When it required football, we were good.

except we couldn't pass the ball to our own players.

When we tried to match them physically, we were abject.

or maybe the ref penalised our players for tackles that he let go for Burnley

And I respected Coppell's brave set of substitutions that looked like turning the game around.

is that IRONY :?: if so you have just cost me 30 mins of my life that i will never get back.....because i don't recall us having a sub yet i do remember 4 mins added at the end, maybe my mind was ;and still is ,frozen

:wink: