Burnley Away Match Thread

198 posts
holsgrove breaks a leg

Re: Burnley Away Match Thread

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 29 Oct 2008 01:55

clearly as frustrating as its gets tonight,i have to say im bemused by readings current start to this season being so jekyll and hyde home and away.The squad has obvious talent as shown by the victories we have gained, and there can be no doubting the commitment and drive is there.What does seem to be a increasing problem is the lack of focus and concentration during the game,especially away from home- tonight for me wasnt about the fact we didnt score but that we lost concentration again to let another goal in.Too often individual mistakes and lack of focus has seen the opposition come away with a goal,we really are getting punished for lapses in concentration.The saying is that if you do that in the prem you get punished all the time,but to be honest it will happen in any division if big mistakes are not cut out.Ironically it has stemmed from the burnley game at home when we were coasting 3-0 only to let in a sloppy last min goal, since then the goals shipped in have come from silly mistakes and just not reading the game well.I can think of players eg marcus,liam and ivar all who have contributed to their own downfall in this way but as a team we do seem to switch off alarmingly.

Sometimes i wonder whether its because we try too hard to attack teams and win that perhaps we forget our objectives- the hunt brothers, effective that they have been are guilty of this on occaisions when the simple thing would prove more incisive.Reading have been built as a team under coppell that go for the win and dont do draws, i just wish that we look to some games away and think a point is a decent return rather than do all the work away from home but lose focus at the critical moment( ala preston and burnley and to some extent even charlton).Clearly we have away victories in our locker after wolves but its vital errors are cut out otherwise the away form becomes a subject matter with reason,there are going to be a few more frustrating draws at home so picking up point/s away from home sooner rather than later start to matter.There are the usual over reaction posts tonight as i thought, though clearly we are not automatic promotion standard unless we clean up the major mistakes and that for coppell will be hard to swallow given the players he (currently) has at his disposal.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Oct 2008 07:31

PEARCEY
RoyalBlue
PEARCEY Come off it Royal Blue. I am not an RTG but to say we may well be dragged into a relegation battle is pathetic.

See my edited version for an explanation. It may not happen but you can't deny that home losses added to a dismal away record would equate to relegation form.

And don't forget, we have part two of the sale of the century to look forward to in January. Lets hope Poundstretchers still have some replacements left in stock!

We are still 4th in the table.....with the best home record in the entire country...this is STG spin of the highest order. By all means accentuate the negative and worst case scenario but its being overly pessimistic in my view.
Our away form will certainly prevent us from finishing in the top two but as we can both see that despite it we remain firmly entrenched in the play offs...

Perhaps we can request that we have home games only if we make the playoffs! :cry:

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 29 Oct 2008 08:34

Pablo We need a creative central midfielder how can also score goals. How many goals have Karacan, Harper, Cisse, Gunnarsson and Matejovsky scored this season?

Matejovsky scored the screamer last season against Liverpool.
I can't believe you even included Marek in that - he's played one game this season.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 29 Oct 2008 11:35

Gordons Cumming The swing from positive to negative on HNA is truly a wonder to behold.

One minute we're gonna hit 107 points the next we're going to be relegated. :roll:

Good grief.

Indeed; anyone would think that HNA was made of a collection of individuals. Oh.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 29 Oct 2008 12:22

marek has played just one game so you cant count him as not scoring enough goals give him a chance!!

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 29 Oct 2008 13:15

RoyalBlue
PEARCEY Come off it Royal Blue. I am not an RTG but to say we may well be dragged into a relegation battle is pathetic.

See my edited version for an explanation. It may not happen but you can't deny that home losses added to a dismal away record would equate to relegation form.

And don't forget, we have part two of the sale of the century to look forward to in January. Lets hope Poundstretchers still have some replacements left in stock!

I'll settle for finishing 6th and beating Burnley in play off final at Wembley. As regards 'Sale of the Century', I think we did remarkably well at the last transfer window.

Kitson---5.5 mill--what a bargain NOT. Has done absolutely nothing at Stoke and already thrown his toys out of the pram.

Little--off the wage bill. Played about 60 mins for Pompey. Done FA and injured again.

Shorey--Hardly set the world alight--dropped recently for one game.

Sidwell--taking on the mantle of sicknote Murty.--but could be back to his best soon--we'll see.

Sonko--hasn't really featured much and hasn't done anything to say we were wrong to sell him.

Exception---for Mooney, read Bennett

Henleyensian

by Henleyensian » 29 Oct 2008 14:30

There are about 18000 to 20000 people at most home games and about 200-300 at away games. I don't know how many of the approx 18000 people who do not go to away games make comments on here but I will tell you now that, as somebody who goes to away games ,I am sick of being called an RTG (as if that were something to be ashamed of) and called idiotic for being an optimist.

It is obvious that you moaners were all at home last night instead of supporting the team. Don't tell me it is because you have to work as most who go away do so as well. The team could do with support away from home but maybe it is just as well that you critics and moaners don't as he few who do go actually support them. You don't hear boos from impatient "supporters" at away games.

Last night was as those of you who quote the radio have said. It is no coincidence that the "Man of the Match" was the Burnley goalkeeper and if you had been there you would have seen how hard the team worked and how frustrated they must have been to come away with nothing. Even a Burley fan rang in to the radio to say that we had hammered them and were very unlucky to come away with nothing.

Please stop trying to find scapegoats and be positive in your support. It is what the team needs and deserves.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Oct 2008 14:46

hoorah

spot on mr man

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 29 Oct 2008 14:52

Henleyensian There are about 18000 to 20000 people at most home games and about 200-300 at away games. I don't know how many of the approx 18000 people who do not go to away games make comments on here but I will tell you now that, as somebody who goes to away games ,I am sick of being called an RTG (as if that were something to be ashamed of) and called idiotic for being an optimist.

It is obvious that you moaners were all at home last night instead of supporting the team. Don't tell me it is because you have to work as most who go away do so as well. The team could do with support away from home but maybe it is just as well that you critics and moaners don't as he few who do go actually support them. You don't hear boos from impatient "supporters" at away games.

Last night was as those of you who quote the radio have said. It is no coincidence that the "Man of the Match" was the Burnley goalkeeper and if you had been there you would have seen how hard the team worked and how frustrated they must have been to come away with nothing. Even a Burley fan rang in to the radio to say that we had hammered them and were very unlucky to come away with nothing.

Please stop trying to find scapegoats and be positive in your support. It is what the team needs and deserves.

'LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME' I go to away games and therefore am bettter than you people who neither have the time, money or desire to get to Burnley on a Tuesday evening!!!

BTW I listened to the game and have read most reports on the match and it seems we were very unlucky not to get at least a point from the game if not all three (woodwork x 3 and their keeper being MOTM).

You wont hear me moaning if we give all that we got and don't get anything from an away game through cicumstances rather than lack of effort.

Most teams in our division will end up with about the same away record, it is at home where we can gain most advantage and we are doing that well at the moment.

braindead

by braindead » 29 Oct 2008 15:02

I have to say I am surprised at the negativity on here. I appreciate that a lot of you are used to Premiership football, but the Championship is a tough league, and in order to triumph you need to mix guile with skill and strength.
From what I have seen of you (Albeit only two games) you have the above in spades, and two bad results do not a bad team make. before long you will pick up wins on the road, and your home record is excellent, so I definitely think you will finish top 6, and when (not if) Wolves falter you may be in with a shout of automatic promotion.

Some of us poor Championship relations would love to have your players in our team.

Also would you mind recalling Lita from Norwich - we have them on Saturday :)

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 29 Oct 2008 15:08

braindead I have to say I am surprised at the negativity on here. I appreciate that a lot of you are used to Premiership football, but the Championship is a tough league, and in order to triumph you need to mix guile with skill and strength.
From what I have seen of you (Albeit only two games) you have the above in spades, and two bad results do not a bad team make. before long you will pick up wins on the road, and your home record is excellent, so I definitely think you will finish top 6, and when (not if) Wolves falter you may be in with a shout of automatic promotion.

Some of us poor Championship relations would love to have your players in our team.

LOL most of us on here are used to old Div 2,3 and 4 football sadly.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Oct 2008 15:12

londinium
braindead I have to say I am surprised at the negativity on here. I appreciate that a lot of you are used to Premiership football, but the Championship is a tough league, and in order to triumph you need to mix guile with skill and strength.

LOL most of us on here are used to old Div 2,3 and 4 football sadly.

I think most of us are just used to moaning. We can't help it, its in our DNA.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Oct 2008 15:18

1 year in the top league and half of HNA think we deserve to be there for ever or summink

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 29 Oct 2008 18:10

Gordons Cumming The swing from positive to negative on HNA is truly a wonder to behold.

One minute we're gonna hit 107 points the next we're going to be relegated. :roll:

Good grief.

The manic/depressive nature of the more vocal fan base. I read these posts in a similar vein as I do the gossip columns and op/ed pieces. Some good opinions and news amongst a bunch of noise. :lol:

That said, I'm as frustrated with the away form as anyone else.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 29 Oct 2008 18:47

A win at Ashton Gate and this will all be forgotten.

:D

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 02 Nov 2008 00:48

winchester_royal This is the match where cisse has to step up, personally I believe he has the attributes to really dominate a midfield, but he hasn't done it yet.

I called it. :)

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 02 Nov 2008 01:35

winchester_royal Well worth going with a 5-man midfield.

Kebe
Marek
Harps
Cisse
SHunt

then

winchester_royal Harps and Marek on saturday please SSC.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Nov 2008 11:19

ive been saying for weeks that cisse should get a start ahead of harps as his performaces off the bench have looked really strong

if anyone should get the credit for his recent inclusion
it should be me dagnammit

198 posts