Blades fans back from the game...

susieroyal

Re: Blades fans back from the game...

by susieroyal » 16 Nov 2008 09:52

To be fair, if we had sold out our allocation they would have been bleating on about "where were you when you were shite".

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 16 Nov 2008 10:48

FiNeRaIn
PistolPete
For what it's worth, their support was particularly awful. Both in numbers and voice considering their position and performance today.

So so true, defo one of the worst supported teams in the top two divisions, but we have a class side and thats what counts.

YAWN.

Are you ever going to give it a rest?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 Nov 2008 11:04

PistolPete
* Doyle, Hunt bro's and long - Cheap as chips!! - 15/11/2008 16:05

* The above players have been purchased for peanuts from an Irish club. Have Reading got a partnership with this club?

Clueless.

If you are the poor soul reading this, we signed Doyle and Long from Cork at the same time. We then signed NHunt from Dundee United. Cork now hate us for signing Doyle for so little. We have since signed two more players from Cork, but one of them was a goodwill gesture and the other was largely because they needed the money.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Nov 2008 11:10

To be honest, didn't think the home support were that impressive. A couple of renditions of Greasy Chip Buttie (prompted by the PA) and about 5 minutes in the second half when they looked like stringing 2 passes together, otherwise the famed passionate Bramhall Lane atmosphere was no-where to be seen.

11,000 Burnley fans were louder.

Royal-DLG

by Royal-DLG » 16 Nov 2008 11:36

For what it's worth, their support was particularly awful. Both in numbers and voice considering their position and performance today.

what game was he at!?

we pretty much never stopped singing... whereas sheffield only sang about 3 times in the match!

blade 1

by blade 1 » 16 Nov 2008 13:59

Fair play to you guys.

you made us look ordinary. (yet again) Its what we have been doing to teams for the past few weeks.

You took your chances at crucial times and we couldn't, though you never seemed in too much danger.

Reckon you will go up automatically this year and unless wolves slide dramatically we will be play offs at best.

Only bright spot for us is that our right back is quality, like ashley cole back in the day.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 16 Nov 2008 14:46

blade 1 Fair play to you guys.

you made us look ordinary. (yet again) Its what we have been doing to teams for the past few weeks.

You took your chances at crucial times and we couldn't, though you never seemed in too much danger.

Reckon you will go up automatically this year and unless wolves slide dramatically we will be play offs at best.

Only bright spot for us is that our right back is quality, like ashley cole back in the day.

What did you think of Armstrong's performance? Should you have let him go on that evidence?

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 16 Nov 2008 17:43

From bladesunited:

United – Whatever gripes about tactics, formation, team selection are merited but surely there can be no dispute that Reading simply are a better team, with better individuals and are better coached.

Reading completely dictated proceedings from the start of the game, they passed the ball better, looked faster, stronger and more skilful than the huff and puff Blades that gamely tried to come back but had surrender much of the initiative and the game in the first 25 minutes. It is strange to see a home side seem almost afraid when they had 25,000+ fans in the stadium but yesterday as in other encounters, United let the Berkshire side simply control the game. The early goal was no surprise as Reading had spent all of the opening stages of the game in the United third of the field and seemed to gain corner after corner. Even after the goal, the pressure did not relent, as United’s players seemed to be in quicksand in comparison to the athletic, sharp and stronger Reading men. United had a brief flurry without playing much football of note but a few half chances from corners was hardly acceptable for a home side that had been completely outplayed for the opening 20 minutes of the game. When Kevin Doyle scored all too easily just before half time, the game was effectively over. United did spurn chances in the second half through Beattie and Sharp but Reading could also have scored further goals.

To hear Blackwell say out strikers missed chances and other fans say we could have had 3 or 4 goals was a bit galling as all this happened when the game was 2-0 to Reading and pretty much over. I felt Reading were excellent in the opening and then barely got out of first gear for the rest of the game and it was a bit of a cakewalk. Sure, if we had scored then it may have been a nervy time but the fact it was didn’t. Why didn’t we try and take the game to them? Maybe we just are good enough to do this.

However, despite this United still and should have made Reading work harder for their goals, for their superiority and their victory. I do not think the tactics worked one bit as it left our full backs badly exposed. We seemed to have only 1 up front at times and much of the midfield did not seem to know who they were marking. Their wingers were left with lots of space too. Our so called midfield three should have been superior to the ‘two’ Reading played in this area but actually was inferior so poor were Speed, Howard and Spring and so good were Harper and Cisse. Why we gave them so much ground and time is debatable but it seems when we play quicker, better and sharper players we really struggle (basically better teams! – look at Arsenal and the 6-0). The experienced plodders like Speed, Spring, Beattie may be able to do it against much of the division but it seems when we face these quicker and more athletic players who have skill to boot we look a very slow and very uninspired side. Reading took us apart fro the first 20 minutes yesterday and I think many honest United fans really will realise how far off we are being a genuine automatic promotion side.

The reality check was that many fans probably realise us sneaking into 5th or 6th place is about as good as it is going to get without either a) more investment in January (but then how much have Reading spent?) or b) a review of the coaching and management. The last may be seen as a direct dig at Blackwell and in truth it probably is. Since the improvements he made when he first come when we played fast, attacking football, a bit like some of that Reading played yesterday, we seem to have gone backwards. He does not seem to know his best formation, his best team, nor how to actually beat the better teams in the division. He says that yesterday we looked afraid and gave Reading too much respect. As the manager he has to take full responsibility for that. He has a big month coming up where we can fade away and basically be looking at one of those last play off spots as a best cased scenario or he can see us kick on again and try and hang onto the coattails of the top 3. Unfortunately, I fear the former due to the lack of pace, subtlety and goalscoring (outside of Beattie) that we have in our team currently.

Worryingly, United’s next opponent is the top side Wolverhampton. United will have to give a better account of themselves or they will face a massive confidence problem if they can’t even fail to even test the top sides in the division at their own home ground.

Reading – Probably the best side in the division. Strong, skilled, tall, good footballers, organised. Sure they are not Real Madrid, but they will take some stopping. I actually think that some of their standout players were not the ones who were playing week in, week out for the last few years like Kebe and Cisse. They lost Shorey, Kitson and Sonko but they do not seem to have skipped a beat and that is credit to Coppell who is still a vastly underrated manager. They play the right way and always look to pass and always look to go forward, wherever they go away from home. However, if teams mix it up, they have the size and power to mix it too. I felt Cisse was the best player on the pitch yesterday. Also, they prove you do not have to play a target man up front as they have two smaller players, albeit who can really compete in the air, and who generally like it to feet. I still think their defence can be got at. I thought Armstrong was one of their poorer players and was the main are we caused problems yesterday but they manage to cover their lack of speed at this area by covering for each other. Harper is a player that should be playing much higher up as he has all the qualities needed in a midfielder. Hunt (S) is an annoying little sod but a good footballer. The winger Kebe caused Sun Jihai a lot of problems too. Reading will go away and play that up-tempo passing football utilising the pace and scoring threats they have and win a lot of games. I struggle to see how two teams will finish above them.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 16 Nov 2008 18:23

But Strapon thinks Kebe can't play football.
I'm confused.

Cookie

by Cookie » 16 Nov 2008 18:27

Tinrib From bladesunited:

United – Whatever gripes about tactics, formation, team selection are merited but surely there can be no dispute that Reading simply are a better team, with better individuals and are better coached.

Reading completely dictated proceedings from the start of the game, they passed the ball better, looked faster, stronger and more skilful than the huff and puff Blades that gamely tried to come back but had surrender much of the initiative and the game in the first 25 minutes.

Reading – Probably the best side in the division. Strong, skilled, tall, good footballers, organised. Sure they are not Real Madrid, but they will take some stopping. I actually think that some of their standout players were not the ones who were playing week in, week out for the last few years like Kebe and Cisse. They lost Shorey, Kitson and Sonko but they do not seem to have skipped a beat and that is credit to Coppell who is still a vastly underrated manager. They play the right way and always look to pass and always look to go forward, wherever they go away from home. However, if teams mix it up, they have the size and power to mix it too. I felt Cisse was the best player on the pitch yesterday. Also, they prove you do not have to play a target man up front as they have two smaller players, albeit who can really compete in the air, and who generally like it to feet. I still think their defence can be got at. I thought Armstrong was one of their poorer players and was the main are we caused problems yesterday but they manage to cover their lack of speed at this area by covering for each other. Harper is a player that should be playing much higher up as he has all the qualities needed in a midfielder. Hunt (S) is an annoying little sod but a good footballer. The winger Kebe caused Sun Jihai a lot of problems too. Reading will go away and play that up-tempo passing football utilising the pace and scoring threats they have and win a lot of games. I struggle to see how two teams will finish above them.

"I struggle to see how two teams will finish above them"

So do I mate. :lol:

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 16 Nov 2008 18:35

,,, and I'm (generally) an intermediate RTG and yet I agree with Strapon... Kebe can't play football. He's a giraffe on crack.

His main attribute is that if he has no clue what he is doing then gawd help the poor defender. Paulo Wanchope had the coordination of a fighter pilot compared to Jimmy.

But I'd still have him in the team.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 17 Nov 2008 10:40

Tinrib Even after the goal, the pressure did not relent, as United’s players seemed to be in quicksand in comparison to the athletic, sharp and stronger Reading men.

This is one thing that has really impresed me this season. Remember the days when we used to try to defend a 1-0 lead for 80+ minutes? This season, we're still pushing forward even when we have a three-goal cushion with a few minutes left. They really want to score.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 17 Nov 2008 11:37

FiNeRaIn We are the arsenal of the championship, great team, oxf*rd fans. It annoys the opposition even more.

No, FFS, we are the READING of the Championship.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 17 Nov 2008 11:48

FiNeRaIn
PistolPete

So so true, defo one of the worst supported teams in the top two divisions, but we have a class side and thats what counts.

I agree with these comments about our support, it is an embarrassment, the Brizzle away day was an aberration.
Get up and show some passion even at away games these days and the travelling "observers" sitting around simply snigger. I struggle to see any familiar faces from the South Bank at matches these days, people moan about the yobs at football but at least they tend to get behind the team, or used to.
Play Off Final? Don`t make me laugh. Who would want to spend ninety minutes at Wembley in stony silence just like we were in Cardiff in 2001.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 17 Nov 2008 11:57

Negative by name negative by nature :D , in all seriousness though i would have to agree that our support can be fairley dire some times but tbh tavelling away in the prem we filled most grounds and the atmoshphere was generally good. I was very suprised at how quite alot of the grounds were, i recall sing "where the famous atmosphere" at Anfield and St James Park Old Trafford was the same but not to be unexpected then arsenal man city everton all the same, Only decent atmospheres in the prem were pompey and villa. You wait if were still looking strong at christmas the stadium will be nearly full and there will be a sense of excitement around the ground again.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2008 12:10

agreed with that

st james'park and old trafford were very very disappointing atmosphere wise

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 Nov 2008 12:20

brendywendy agreed with that

Possibly because it was Reading visiting? To the locals that would be like us hosting Crewe or Doncaster - hardly caluclated to make the pulse race.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 17 Nov 2008 12:25

I've been to OT a few times - not just to watch Reading - and it can be very quiet. As for Anfield, the noise made by the crowd when they equalised was quite memorable, I recall.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Nov 2008 12:26

Dirk Gently
brendywendy agreed with that

Possibly because it was Reading visiting? To the locals that would be like us hosting Crewe or Doncaster - hardly caluclated to make the pulse race.

fair point

it was still dissapointing though

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 17 Nov 2008 14:27

Cookie
Tinrib From bladesunited:

Reading completely dictated proceedings from the start of the game, they passed the ball better, looked faster, stronger and more skilful than the huff and puff Blades that gamely tried to come back but had surrender much of the initiative and the game in the first 25 minutes.

"I struggle to see how two teams will finish above them"

So do I mate. :lol:

Cue a floyd_streete-style "23 worse teams" rant.