Back from the game - Coventry (H)

187 posts
Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Back from the game - Coventry (H)

by Alan Partridge » 01 Dec 2008 23:28

Royal Rother Rosenior had a superb game tonight.

I'm sure even his knockers will agree. Magnificent going forward, sound defensively and crossing that was an absolute delight.

Apart from 1 that hit Andy Hughes territory (the North Stand) thought he was very good tonight, our best attacking player.

also anyone shed any light on the award of the free kick for their goal, looked really soft, which summed the referee up tonight, he was poor throughout.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Dec 2008 23:36

Seemed a fair enough decision from TV replay.

Speaking of the officials, who I thought did okay actually, we could/should have had a 4th when SHunt went clean through with 5 minutes left only to be given offside. He was a good yard onside.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 Dec 2008 23:38

Fair enough, we are a long way from it but it looked in real time from where we are that Duberry just outmuscled Morrison and headed clear but there we go. Coventry's only meaningful effort I think, can't remember anything else!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Dec 2008 23:40

Alan Partridge Fair enough, we are a long way from it but it looked in real time from where we are that Duberry just outmuscled Morrison and headed clear but there we go. Coventry's only meaningful effort I think, can't remember anything else!

Was a bit soft, but I can see why given. Doobs caught out of position a yard or so from his man, tried to muscle his way round him to get the ball but half went through him as well.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 01 Dec 2008 23:41

Either I am a crap footy analyst or some of you watch a different game...

Doyler got kicked and wrestled all night but just got up and got on with it. More than that he is quality with the ball at his feet and holding the ball up.

Rosenior - impressive. Superb ball to pick out the great run of giraffe on crack to pull back for Cisse's goal.

Stretch was excellent, too, and he was quite tested for pace at times on long diagonals but covered well.

Didn't feel we pushed out of second gear and had the measure of Cov with two banks of four making them play sideways for long periods with no penetration. We can't sit off like that too often and give better teams room to play in front.

Oh, ref was poor. Consistently poor.

Workmanlike 3 points when we could be bothered to step it after the first 20 mins.

Great free kick for Cov goal.

Number 13 superb for first ten mins - then it was a library.

Cold. Farking cold.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 01 Dec 2008 23:42

Going into stoppage time, it occurred to me that other than their goal, I couldn't remember a single shot coventry had all night.

Is it my memory, or do they really offer that little threat up front?

Kurtz

by Kurtz » 01 Dec 2008 23:47

May I be the first to say that it was quite cold tonight.

Decent result. Average game. Midfield sat too deep for long periods giving too few outlets to Doyle & Hunt but thanks to numbers we did look solid at the back. Didn't win enough in central midfield but breaks on the wings good, Rosenoir probably MOTM with some great runs. He seemed to spend the game in acres of space. Would have been nice to have played the ball through the middle of the park on the ground once in a while but as Harper can't do that & we won anyway I'm not complaining too much. Last 15 mins and everyone on the pitch was day dreaming about warm dressing rooms & mugs of Horlicks.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 01 Dec 2008 23:58

parky
andrew1957 Number 13 - fairly quiet at times but not too bad considering there were so few
Ref- 8 - one of the better refs we have had to be fair although there were not many difficult decisions. Thought he let them physically overpower Doyle too much. Should have had some more free kicks.

Readingfanman Number 13 - fairly quiet at times but not too bad considering there were so few
Ref- 8 - one of the better refs we have had to be fair although there were not many difficult decisions. Thought he let them physically overpower Doyle too much. Should have had some more free kicks.

:roll:

That's what you get for copying and pasting! :lol:

retro royal

by retro royal » 01 Dec 2008 23:58

Cant believe what i'm reading here.

We were at best an average as a team for most the game, we couldn't control the midfield, and like last season if any teams that had a decent striker we would be found out. As for no 13, rubbish until 2-1 up, so if I read again on this site about only singing when you wining I be peeed off.

My player ratings for what it's worth

Hahnamann, 6 not a lot to do
Rosenior 7, good getting forward, some good crosses
Inga6 , getting slower nervous at beginning maybe due to Duberry
Duberrry. 5, gave away free kick for goal looked off the pace
Armstrong 5/6, cant make my mind up attacked well but left big gaps on the left at times, which SHunt had to cover
S.Hunt - 8 MoM, ran his arse off all night covered for Armstrong loads, and put some great balls in the box
Harper - 6, usual harper performance, dreadful booing from the fans at times
Cisse - 6, gave the ball away loads first half, great run for the goal
Kebe - 8, very close to MoM, getting better every time I see him
Doyle- 6, marked out the game, lokked like he was saving himself for 90 mins compared with Noel
N.Hunt - 7/8, ran his heart out, goals fortunate
Last edited by retro royal on 02 Dec 2008 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

anR

by anR » 02 Dec 2008 00:01

So Fox was booed all night because he spat at Hunt? N? I didn't see it but my mate did. I believe there may have been some scuffle after the final whistle as a result of this with Shane or something else after full time?

It seemed very fitting the the ungiven own goal came off his head! That'll learn him...

WTRoyal

by WTRoyal » 02 Dec 2008 00:06

Royal Rother Rosenior had a superb game tonight.

I'm sure even his knockers will agree. Magnificent going forward, sound defensively and crossing that was an absolute delight.

ALOL @ Rosie's moobs :oops:

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 02 Dec 2008 00:31

anR So Fox was booed all night because he spat at Hunt? N? I didn't see it but my mate did. I believe there may have been some scuffle after the final whistle as a result of this with Shane or something else after full time?

It seemed very fitting the the ungiven own goal came off his head! That'll learn him...

Replays on Sky Sports show him punching Shane. If the ref had spotted that he should have shown Fox the red card. But the moron missed it.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 02 Dec 2008 00:42

What i found frustrating tonight was that we always seem to sit back way too much. Both of our CM's let the other midfield control the game. It's like we're over defensive. We need a tough tackling attacking midfielder. I like Harps but he's not the same this season.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 02 Dec 2008 00:46

Geekins What i found frustrating tonight was that we always seem to sit back way too much. Both of our CM's let the other midfield control the game. It's like we're over defensive. We need a tough tackling attacking midfielder. I like Harps but he's not the same this season.

I quite liked Tabb for Coventry. What price another Irishmen with us before the season is out?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 02 Dec 2008 01:07

Geekins What i found frustrating tonight was that we always seem to sit back way too much. Both of our CM's let the other midfield control the game. It's like we're over defensive. We need a tough tackling attacking midfielder. I like Harps but he's not the same this season.

Agree, very slow at closing them down a better team would have punished us. On the plus side we can play a lot better yet won the the game with a bit to spare.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Dec 2008 03:28

We are the best attacking side in this division by a distance but other frailties will cost us promotion unless they are sorted ASAP yet, in agreeing with Steve Coppell's post match observations, it was indeed pleasing, for a change, to see us come from behind to win.

However, our poor start was due almost entirely to a dire central midfield's needless waste of possession.

Whilst Cisse took large strides towards redemption with another well taken goal, Marek Mateosky, fending off hypothermia from the sidelines, must have been wondering what in God's name he has to do get ahead of the currently very average James Harper or, even to be allowed a few minutes on the same pitch as so many who possess just a fraction of his ability.

We went behind to a quality free kick but with Marcus standing so close to his right hand post, any decent strike in the far corners would have been a certain goal.

Hunt's fortuitous opener was the turning point that seemed to calm everyone's nerves and from the moment he converted his 2nd and our 3rd, the rest of the evening resembled a training session.

As much as I like James Harper and value his long years of service, he and Ingimarsson are the last bastions of the "106" still enjoying preferential treatment from it's manager.

Ingimarsson was no better than Duberry tonight but guess who gets all the "sixes" here and who gets the "eights" along with MoM Rosenior :|

Once again our manager has assembled a strong and impressive squad but unless he's prepared to upset some favourites in order to pick his strongest team, this could be a second season of under achievement.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 02 Dec 2008 06:49

Sam Sodje remains doubtful with a knee injury, while striker Dave Mooney (ankle) is unlikely to be involved.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 02 Dec 2008 07:30

parky Cisse -8 - Good again but doesn't deserve to be taken off.

For you and others making similar comments do you not watch the game. Cisse pulled up after a crunching tackle in the second half with what looked like a hammy or calf pull. He was running very economically until he was taken off. I am sure you will read that he is recovering and should be OK for Sat.

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 02 Dec 2008 07:56

I thought the whole match was quite entertaining. After their goal went in i was thinking, 'it's going to be a long night'
I was frozen all night and because of that i didn't pay attention to the third goal! (Again... :roll: )

USA- I thought he had a quiet game, he couldn't do anything that wouldn't injure himself to stop the goal. As for their GK, did he actually make ONE decent save?! Good performance from USA.

Liam- Was the best player on the pitch last night, IMHO.

Dubbery- I didn't really notice him until the 2nd half. Nice to see him get a start.

Ivar- 7

Armstrong- 7

Kebe- It seems to me that everytime he gets the ball, he starts running with it (or trying to) and ends up leaving it behind him.
Despite that, I thought he had a good game.

SHunt- Great run for the 3rd and they couldn't really get on the end of the run that saw the 3rd goal go in.

Harper- STOP GIVING THE DAMN BALL AWAY TO THE OPPOSITION EVERY TIME! I thought he made a few good passes.

Cisse- Lovely 2nd goal. We needed that.

NHunt- He did brilliantly. It was his night, those goals normally wouldn't have gone in, esspecially the 1st, if it hadn't hit Fox, it wouldn't have gone in!

Doyle- He was very quiet all game. I didn't like the fact that whenever he got the ball, 3 defenders were right around him. I hope he springs into life on Saturday against Barnsley.

Overall a pleasing performance, maybe not our best, but we got what we wanted-3 points.
I do have to say tho, every away team that comes here never fails to sing, '4-0 and you still went down' etc, i just think it's cheap and it's about the only thing they can sing to us. We might've gotten over it, but it seems away fans can't :lol: Idiots.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 02 Dec 2008 08:17

Turned down free seat, too cold for me these days.

however.

Re: Who is the mystery LB
Big Ern wrote:
The 17 Bus wrote:
Daniel Fox is the man, possibly. should have got him in Januarary

I doubt Coventry will sell him though.

You're probably right, he only joined them in jan, don't think there's much chance they'll let him go so soon.

We could do with someone that can take a free kick.

187 posts