Back from the game - Coventry (H)

187 posts
LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game - Coventry (H)

by LUX » 02 Dec 2008 08:29

Thaumagurist*
anR So Fox was booed all night because he spat at Hunt? N? I didn't see it but my mate did. I believe there may have been some scuffle after the final whistle as a result of this with Shane or something else after full time?

It seemed very fitting the the ungiven own goal came off his head! That'll learn him...

Replays on Sky Sports show him punching Shane. If the ref had spotted that he should have shown Fox the red card. But the moron missed it.

not true. He shoved him after getting an elbow. Graeme Murty said Long would have been embarrassed to have gone down so easily.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 02 Dec 2008 08:37

Not much to add really - only thing I don't think anyone has mentioned is that it was fekking cold! :D

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 02 Dec 2008 08:39

Whilst I agree with many of the comments on here about the game there is a danger that Coppell's 'loyalty' to players could cost us this season, again!!!

Harper had a poor game and gave the ball away at least twice in very dangerous positions. If the opposition had any quality about them the result could have been different.

Whilst I do not doubt Harper's enthusiasm and energy, he does not have the vision to open up a defence like Matejovsky has.

I only hope that Coppell does not remain 'loyal' to the end of the season.

And I also thought that S Hunt had a good game, but again he still tends to get the ball and try and run through the opposition, with his head down, rather than look for the easy pass. I think he did this a few times tonight and on each occasion lostt he ball.

I am be very critical and to be honest it was a comfortable win in the end but I felt that Coventry were very poor and not every game will be this easy!!!!

Magicman

by Magicman » 02 Dec 2008 08:56

Variety of subjects

I didint think it was that cold inside the ground, its going to get colder before it gets starts to get warmer and better preparations should be taken by the fans.

Great start by Y25/26 I wondered if you were ever going to stop then the Tango's appeared and it stopped shame! I was enjoying that in the North stand, every 30 seconds the North would join in for 30 seconds and then stop, and then start again.

Our defence dropped to deep, and with Citys extra man in midfield we should have condensed the midfield to give them less room to play, and put with more pressure on the ball, then expoilted the fact they had no full backs with our wingers.

Duberry clattered the bloke for the free kick that led to the goal, the wall was in the wrong place and Marcus should have stood in the middle so they couldnt just float it in, although it was a quality goal.

The highlight was Rose's pass to Jimmy for our second delightful ball, followed by great awareness from Jimmy (about time) and a superb finish from Cisse (Cisse, Cisse...)

In the end it was to easy and you cant see the other 2 front runners dropping points in this division.

Oh and will Noel actually ever finish a game? Answers on a postcard

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 02 Dec 2008 09:02

Blue and White Toucan I am be very critical and to be honest it was a comfortable win in the end but I felt that Coventry were very poor and not every game will be this easy!!!!

It was ultimately a comfortable win but Coventry were not a poor side. They played and moved the ball round well and created plenty of problems and you could see how they won at Birmingham earlier in the season.

I think our third goal killed the game, and Coventry with it, after that point both sides more or less just went through the motions.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 02 Dec 2008 09:07

Blue and White Toucan Whilst I agree with many of the comments on here about the game there is a danger that Coppell's 'loyalty' to players could cost us this season, again!!!

Harper had a poor game and gave the ball away at least twice in very dangerous positions. If the opposition had any quality about them the result could have been different.

Whilst I do not doubt Harper's enthusiasm and energy, he does not have the vision to open up a defence like Matejovsky has.

I only hope that Coppell does not remain 'loyal' to the end of the season.

And I also thought that S Hunt had a good game, but again he still tends to get the ball and try and run through the opposition, with his head down, rather than look for the easy pass. I think he did this a few times tonight and on each occasion lostt he ball.

I am be very critical and to be honest it was a comfortable win in the end but I felt that Coventry were very poor and not every game will be this easy!!!!

Unfortunately whilst Harper remains captain, which I question, he will be a certain starter. What I want to know is what footballing qualities does he bring to team that others like Marek, Bryn etc don't bring - and to make the answer even more difficult, what leadership qualities as captain does he bring???

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 02 Dec 2008 09:09

Apart from it being freakin' cold, spot on from AJD about Cissa. He stretched for a foot in half way through second half and immediately felt his hamstring. Taken off as a precaution, I reckon.

And everyone should have refunds for the last 20 mins. Training session indeed.

Watching the north and west stands empty with 10 mins left when 3-1 up says it all.

Or it might be because it was farking cold.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 02 Dec 2008 09:15

Freezing, pretty dull, good three points, instantly forgettable.

Highlight - Rosenior's best performance in a Reading shirt

Lowlights - Matejovsky not getting a game ahead of Harper/Cisse/Gunnarsson - another memorable Shane Long "impact" performance.

It is a hugely high risk strategy to try and go through a season with, effectively, only two forwards. This must be addressed before one or both gets injured/sold/suspended/knackered.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 02 Dec 2008 09:27

Harper was awful. That is all I have to say on a very average team performance (apart from Kebe and Rosie).

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 02 Dec 2008 09:39

Coventry were a typical Championship side, nice and tidy where it is of no consequence,lacking in crucial areas (defence and attack).

As discussed by Coppell on the radio we adopted a deliberate strategy of letting them play around in midfield knowing they would do nothingw ith it and then taking possession when they made the inevitable poor pass. Worked in this case and contrasted with the way we approached Southampton.

Thought Kebe was excellent, some great runs and you simply have to allow a player like him to not get it right every time.

Would have liked Marek to get 20 mins, I suspect we woul dhave scored a couple more if he'd come on as I think he'd have ripped their defence to shreds.

Long did his job, worked hard, chased and made life difficult for their back four. Like with Kebe you need to accept Long for what he is and he is no Doyle, but he's a good player for the closing stages of a game.

Duberry did well after such a long time out and hopefully with 90 minutes under his belt he'll mean we don't miss Bikey.

One thing interested me - the Coventry Gunnarsson was playing with a support on his right arm. Given that he takes those horrible long throws it struck me that perhaps that should not have been allowed. Does it give him extra grip on the ball ? Was he carrying an injury which wouldn;t have thrown the ball without the support ? I don't think artificial aids should be allowed for throw ones ( I don't think players shoul dbe allowed to wear gloves to take a throw either...)

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 02 Dec 2008 09:43

Woodcote Royal Once again our manager has assembled a strong and impressive squad but unless he's prepared to upset some favourites in order to pick his strongest team, this could be a second season of under achievement.

The same point was made on the TV - before today, Coppell had picked the same starting 11 for the past 8 games (apparently). I can't remember much going right for Harps last night, and I think that Marek might have been better in a game where we were never going to dominate the midfield. Plus with Doyler so heavily marked, he'd either have freed him or made better balls for Nunty. Not to say Harps had a bad game.

Talking of Nunty, his celebration for his first?! :lol: :lol: We were cracking up watching it down here in Exeter in the pub!

A few more armchair observations...

Our crossing tonight was generally very dangerous. I'd be interested to see how many we put in - must have been near 20. Rosenior was quality - great attacking AND defending. Kebe - another assist, always looked dangerous on the ball. Hahnemann also rolled the ball out a lot tonight, which of course led to a goal in one case. I like this style, guarantees we can build.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Dec 2008 10:13

Blue and White Toucan And I also thought that S Hunt had a good game, but again he still tends to get the ball and try and run through the opposition, with his head down, rather than look for the easy pass. I think he did this a few times tonight and on each occasion lostt he ball.

Thought he'd been better of late but still wasn't great. As a mate of mine likes to say, if John Oster did half the stuff Hunt gets away with (and occasionally applauded for) for he'd have been booed instantly.

66DD

by 66DD » 02 Dec 2008 10:27

Dick Habbin's hairdo Watching the north and west stands empty with 10 mins left when 3-1 up says it all.

Get off your high horse. People were leaving the east stand with ten minutes to go in as many numbers as well.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 02 Dec 2008 10:28

66DD
Dick Habbin's hairdo Watching the north and west stands empty with 10 mins left when 3-1 up says it all.

Get off your high horse. People were leaving the east stand with ten minutes to go in as many numbers as well.

It says the game was all but won, and it was cold and they wanted to be at home in the warm, not sat in traffic for half an hour.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 02 Dec 2008 10:38

The 17 Bus
66DD

It says the game was all but won, and it was cold and they wanted to be at home in the warm, not sat in traffic for half an hour.

We waited until the final whistle and got out of the car park nice and easily.

There was no real need for anyone to leave early last night, although of course it's not up to anyone else to decide what time people decide to head home....

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 02 Dec 2008 10:40

LUX
Thaumagurist*
anR So Fox was booed all night because he spat at Hunt? N? I didn't see it but my mate did. I believe there may have been some scuffle after the final whistle as a result of this with Shane or something else after full time?

It seemed very fitting the the ungiven own goal came off his head! That'll learn him...

Replays on Sky Sports show him punching Shane. If the ref had spotted that he should have shown Fox the red card. But the moron missed it.

not true. He shoved him after getting an elbow. Graeme Murty said Long would have been embarrassed to have gone down so easily.

Didn't look like a shove.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 02 Dec 2008 10:47

Long definitely shoved him, the elbow was ON Long.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 02 Dec 2008 10:56

Why was Harper not taken off? Average performance. We don't seem to be closing down as much. Thought that Daniel Fox's freekick was good but he should of been sent off. Bring on Barnsley!

Carlos

by Carlos » 02 Dec 2008 11:11

poor first 20 minutes or so but did well to comeback from one nil and looked a class apart in the second half.

hahnemann - 6 - not much to do other than pick the ball out of the goal
rosenior - 8 - good game. quality crossing and good defending
armstrong - 7 - solid if not brilliant
ivar - 7 - slightly dodgy but looked quite assured
doobs - 7 - good game...for him
shunt - 6 - worst player. for a man who is supposed to be touted as being a class apart his runs ran into dead ends, his free kicks were very poor and his assist was very lucky. i remember a certain andy hughes ran and ran and what did we all think of him. i admit that generally he is good but not sure how people could claim he was motm.
kebe - 7 - abit quiet but quality ball for the goal and linked well.
harper - 5 - as captain i expect a little leadership. waving your arms around does not count. why he never tackles i dont know and he is not a good enough playmaker.
cisse - 7 - generally looked assured and took the goal well
doyle - 6 - very quiet
nhunt - 8 - world class strikes.

overall good win. shame about the cold weather.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 02 Dec 2008 11:28

Carlos poor first 20 minutes or so but did well to comeback from one nil and looked a class apart in the second half.

hahnemann - 6 - not much to do other than pick the ball out of the goal
rosenior - 8 - good game. quality crossing and good defending
armstrong - 7 - solid if not brilliant
ivar - 7 - slightly dodgy but looked quite assured
doobs - 7 - good game...for him
shunt - 6 - worst player. for a man who is supposed to be touted as being a class apart his runs ran into dead ends, his free kicks were very poor and his assist was very lucky. i remember a certain andy hughes ran and ran and what did we all think of him. i admit that generally he is good but not sure how people could claim he was motm.
kebe - 7 - abit quiet but quality ball for the goal and linked well.
harper - 5 - as captain i expect a little leadership. waving your arms around does not count. why he never tackles i dont know and he is not a good enough playmaker.
cisse - 7 - generally looked assured and took the goal well
doyle - 6 - very quiet
nhunt - 8 - world class strikes.

overall good win. shame about the cold weather.

SHunt was the worst player yet he gets more marks than Harper :|
nhunt "world class strikes" - world class flukes, perhaps.

187 posts