Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by Ian Royal » 04 Dec 2008 22:15

S09Royal
bishbosh92 Personally

if we go up this year it will be through the playoffs

which i wont mind as going to wembley would be qulity

but i could see us becomign a big like west brom and a yoyo team bewteen the prem and the championship what you tihnk?

I don't think we're anything like West Brom.
If the team don't try hard enough and become more consistant in the hope that Brum and/or Wolves slip up along the way, Playoffs could, in some way, be a devastating prospect-esspecially if we finish in 3rd! If we don't make the top 2, i would like us to either finish in 4th or 5th. Regarding being a yo-yo team in the PL, West Brom aren't, they aren't consistant and like losing all of their matches. I'd say Stoke are a yo-yo team. We won't know until the time and let's not get ahead of ourselves, we aren't there yet but lets hope and pray that we will be there come May 3rd!

A yo yo team is a team that goes up and down a lot. This is the first time Stoke have been in the top flight since at least the mid 90s as far as I can recall. They are very definitely not a yo yo team.

Bolton used to be a good example of one as did 'Boro I think. Sunderland are an excellent current example, West Brom are also pretty much nailed on as yo yo. Birmingham too.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 05 Dec 2008 07:16

surely if you nail on a yo-yo then it wont be able to go up and down, it will be trapped.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 05 Dec 2008 07:56

Ian Royal
S09Royal
bishbosh92 Personally

but i could see us becomign a big like west brom and a yoyo team bewteen the prem and the championship what you tihnk?

If the team don't try hard enough and become more consistant in the hope that Brum and/or Wolves slip up along the way, Playoffs could, in some way, be a devastating prospect-esspecially if we finish in 3rd! If we don't make the top 2, i would like us to either finish in 4th or 5th. Regarding being a yo-yo team in the PL, West Brom aren't, they aren't consistant and like losing all of their matches. I'd say Stoke are a yo-yo team. We won't know until the time and let's not get ahead of ourselves, we aren't there yet but lets hope and pray that we will be there come May 3rd!

A yo yo team is a team that goes up and down a lot. This is the first time Stoke have been in the top flight since at least the mid 90s as far as I can recall. They are very definitely not a yo yo team.

Bolton used to be a good example of one as did 'Boro I think. Sunderland are an excellent current example, West Brom are also pretty much nailed on as yo yo. Birmingham too.
Agrred there West Brom and birmingham brill examples of yoyo teams.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Dec 2008 09:08

Ian Royal
S09Royal
bishbosh92 Personally

I am pretty sure that it is a lot longer than that since Stoke were last in the top Division (Wikipedia says 84-85). So you are very much correct in asserting that they are not yet a YoYo team

tom_t69

by tom_t69 » 05 Dec 2008 10:09

Tbh a wouldnt mind us being a yo yo team cos there is always excitemnent. I couldnt bare being a team like bolton or boro where they finish mid table every season and never have anything to play for. I reckon we could be in for a play off finalo at the end of the year and imo that would be a better way of going up then second.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 05 Dec 2008 10:11

tom_t69 I couldnt bare

That's ok, we don't want you to get undressed anyway.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 05 Dec 2008 10:14

tom_t69 Tbh a wouldnt mind us being a yo yo team cos there is always excitemnent. I couldnt bare being a team like bolton or boro where they finish mid table every season and never have anything to play for. I reckon we could be in for a play off finalo at the end of the year and imo that would be a better way of going up then second.
Agreed there being a team like Bolton or Boro would be boring, and wouldnt mind playoff final going to wembley would be great. and you got a point there being a yoyo team would be exiciting.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 05 Dec 2008 10:23

We need to progress, get back, push on, increase the squad with quality, and start aiming for the cups and europe.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 05 Dec 2008 10:35

bishbosh92
tom_t69 Tbh a wouldnt mind us being a yo yo team cos there is always excitemnent. I couldnt bare being a team like bolton or boro where they finish mid table every season and never have anything to play for. I reckon we could be in for a play off finalo at the end of the year and imo that would be a better way of going up then second.
Agreed there being a team like Bolton or Boro would be boring, and wouldnt mind playoff final going to wembley would be great. and you got a point there being a yoyo team would be exiciting.

Agreed. I bet Boro fans were bored shitless when they won the League Cup final and reached the UEFA cup final a couple of years ago. Lets hope that never happens to us!

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 05 Dec 2008 10:43

The 17 Bus We need to progress, get back, push on, increase the squad with quality, and start aiming for the cups and europe.
Agrred there m8 we have a strong sqaud and if we get back up we have to spend money to progress and stay there.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 05 Dec 2008 10:59

Not sure that we have that strong a squad, nice to dream tho

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 05 Dec 2008 11:28

The 17 Bus Not sure that we have that strong a squad, nice to dream tho
if we didnt have a strong sqaud we wouldnt be in the positon we are atm i no theres still a way to go but if havent got a strong sqaud we wouldnt even be in the hunt for promotion.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 05 Dec 2008 11:49

Nonsense, we have a tight 15, we have been lucky with injuries, but to think we have a particulaly strong squad has net been tested yet, and hopefully it wont need to.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 05 Dec 2008 12:00

The 17 Bus Nonsense, we have a tight 15, we have been lucky with injuries, but to think we have a particulaly strong squad has net been tested yet, and hopefully it wont need to.
Well we will find out when we play the likes of brum and other top half teams as will need to be at our best.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 05 Dec 2008 12:06

You are mixing the TEAM up with the SQUAD, the team has already been tested, including against Wolves,a nd so far is doing ok, how well do you think we would do if Doyle, hahnemann and Armstrong got injured, thats when the squad will be tested

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 05 Dec 2008 12:09

The 17 Bus Nonsense, we have a tight 15, we have been lucky with injuries, but to think we have a particulaly strong squad has net been tested yet, and hopefully it wont need to.

^^^

This.

This is right.

You are mixing the TEAM up with the SQUAD, the team has already been tested, including against Wolves,a nd so far is doing ok, how well do you think we would do if Doyle, hahnemann and Armstrong got injured, thats when the squad will be tested

As is this.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 05 Dec 2008 12:09

TY Prof

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 05 Dec 2008 12:13

The 17 Bus You are mixing the TEAM up with the SQUAD, the team has already been tested, including against Wolves,a nd so far is doing ok, how well do you think we would do if Doyle, hahnemann and Armstrong got injured, thats when the squad will be tested
i suppose i am mixing them up

but we dont have to worry bout it until it happens

then we will find out how our fringe places can step up to the plate and try and make a mark

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 05 Dec 2008 12:16

No worries, it is easy to get carried away, and the lack of reserve games has long worried me, I am sure there used to be a lot more, now too many players are not playing regular football, same as the 7 subs in the Prem!! What is that all about?

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 05 Dec 2008 12:21

The 17 Bus No worries, it is easy to get carried away, and the lack of reserve games has long worried me, I am sure there used to be a lot more, now too many players are not playing regular football, same as the 7 subs in the Prem!! What is that all about?
Indeed

agreed with the 7subs tho

not good for sub morale as half the bench noes they wont get used

and agreed again hasnt been many reserve games recently has there

2091 posts