Manager's Favorites

Wongle

Manager's Favorites

by Wongle » 05 Dec 2008 15:12

Having followed Reading for the last 20 years this is, as I'm sure many of you will make me aware my first post on the forum. I have actively followed the threads on here over the years since we first moved to the Mad Stad and have on many occasions been enlightened by some of the posts that I have read....... i shall not comment on some of the other posts however!

Following our last home game I once again found myself leaving the ground in frustration, not at the performance or the work rate that had gone in, and not even at the hour it still takes to leave the beloved car park, but instead at the consistently predictable and disappointing utilization of our substitutes.

As i am sure this is a view shared by many others i would like nothing more than to see the Academies products coming to fruition in the first team, and at the beginning of this season i believed it more likely than ever. Pearce had completed a very successful loan spell last season at Norwich winning man of the match awards and looking very solid, as had Jem and Henry. So although with slight hesitation i was pleased to see our talented talisman that Marek be replaced by Jem. Although slightly clueless on occassion we could see he was developing game by game, and i believed that he would become one of our better players this season.

Pearce equally came in and acquitted himself very well, at times making Ivar look past it. Henry on the other hand has not really had a sniff.

Like Pardew before him Coppell appears to have his favorites and will do anything to give them a game. "I won't change a winning team" has been the mentality for many years with Coppell however he is more than happy to change it if one of the chosen few are not in the line up. Pearce played exceptionally well and was replaced by Bikey who is infinately better (no question), however Ivar should have been dropped on form if that was the deciding factor. Sadly he has been farmed out and Doobs is now providing cover that should have rightly been his.

Cisse is having a great run of games. Against Southampton we were terrible all over the park, however Cisse was having a solid game in comparrison to the rest of the team. Not wanting to drop Harper (Who i rate as one of our better players) he replaces Cisse, our best player at the time, and brings on not Marek who would attack and unlock Southampton, but the Viking himself, who is one of the chosen few.

Long is another. Lita albeit a jumped up little Ghetto Smurf has been one of our best strikers in between knife fights and bottle bashes, however Shane apparently has more to offer!? Can someone please tell me what this is, as i can't comprehend this. He's quick, appears to be big headed and can play the guitar well i am told, but he cant actually play football.

Henry was brought on with 3 minutes left against the Cov. We were in control with 20 minutes left and Hunt was replaced with the afforementioned skippy to try and give him a chance to shine, why was Kebe not replaced by Henry for the same extent. Doyle had not really done anything of merit, and given that Hunt and Doyle are relatively similar in style, Coppell brought on a favorite (Long) not to replace his Love Child Doyle, but to deny Hunt a hat trick.

Coppell is by far the best manager that i have seen, and believe that he will probably go on to be one of the best managers in our history without question. However, i now know what the subs will be and people appear to be getting an unfair rub of the green which i fundamentally disagree with.

Pardew had it with Caskey, Forster, Smith et al, and it appears Coppell has it hear. There is little that this article will do except stir some conversation, however i would like to know if it is just me, or does Coppell appear to play his favorites to the detrement of the team on occasion?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Manager's Favorites

by winchester_royal » 05 Dec 2008 15:17

Wonderful post, which I think sums up the frustration of the majority of Reading fans.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 05 Dec 2008 15:39

Wongle Having followed Reading for the last 20 years this is, as I'm sure many of you will make me aware my first post on the forum. I have actively followed the threads on here over the years since we first moved to the Mad Stad and have on many occasions been enlightened by some of the posts that I have read....... i shall not comment on some of the other posts however!

Following our last home game I once again found myself leaving the ground in frustration, not at the performance or the work rate that had gone in, and not even at the hour it still takes to leave the beloved car park, but instead at the consistently predictable and disappointing utilization of our substitutes.

As i am sure this is a view shared by many others i would like nothing more than to see the Academies products coming to fruition in the first team, and at the beginning of this season i believed it more likely than ever. Pearce had completed a very successful loan spell last season at Norwich winning man of the match awards and looking very solid, as had Jem and Henry. So although with slight hesitation i was pleased to see our talented talisman that Marek be replaced by Jem. Although slightly clueless on occassion we could see he was developing game by game, and i believed that he would become one of our better players this season.

Pearce equally came in and acquitted himself very well, at times making Ivar look past it. Henry on the other hand has not really had a sniff.

Like Pardew before him Coppell appears to have his favorites and will do anything to give them a game. "I won't change a winning team" has been the mentality for many years with Coppell however he is more than happy to change it if one of the chosen few are not in the line up. Pearce played exceptionally well and was replaced by Bikey who is infinately better (no question), however Ivar should have been dropped on form if that was the deciding factor. Sadly he has been farmed out and Doobs is now providing cover that should have rightly been his.

Cisse is having a great run of games. Against Southampton we were terrible all over the park, however Cisse was having a solid game in comparrison to the rest of the team. Not wanting to drop Harper (Who i rate as one of our better players) he replaces Cisse, our best player at the time, and brings on not Marek who would attack and unlock Southampton, but the Viking himself, who is one of the chosen few.

Long is another. Lita albeit a jumped up little Ghetto Smurf has been one of our best strikers in between knife fights and bottle bashes, however Shane apparently has more to offer!? Can someone please tell me what this is, as i can't comprehend this. He's quick, appears to be big headed and can play the guitar well i am told, but he cant actually play football.

Henry was brought on with 3 minutes left against the Cov. We were in control with 20 minutes left and Hunt was replaced with the afforementioned skippy to try and give him a chance to shine, why was Kebe not replaced by Henry for the same extent. Doyle had not really done anything of merit, and given that Hunt and Doyle are relatively similar in style, Coppell brought on a favorite (Long) not to replace his Love Child Doyle, but to deny Hunt a hat trick.

Coppell is by far the best manager that i have seen, and believe that he will probably go on to be one of the best managers in our history without question. However, i now know what the subs will be and people appear to be getting an unfair rub of the green which i fundamentally disagree with.

Pardew had it with Caskey, Forster, Smith et al, and it appears Coppell has it hear. There is little that this article will do except stir some conversation, however i would like to know if it is just me, or does Coppell appear to play his favorites to the detrement of the team on occasion?
Agrred there brillaint post

especally bout noel hun being subbed

he was better than doyle by far monday

and also long is woeful ship him off on loan or sell him and get lita back

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 05 Dec 2008 15:42

Quickly made up for all those years of silence, then.

PS. I'm not reading all that

PPS oxf*rd off newbie

Wongle

by Wongle » 05 Dec 2008 15:47

An appropriate response from a Doyle fanboy.

See original post for more.
:roll:

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 05 Dec 2008 15:52

Wongle An appropriate response from a Doyle fanboy.

See original post for more.
:roll:
Well he is boundto disagree isnt he

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 05 Dec 2008 15:52

super thread mate, agree with every single word (except its spelt favourite :D ), amazing how SC can never see what to everyone else is so damn obvious that Shane Long will never make a footballer at CC or PL level

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 05 Dec 2008 15:53

People make far too much of this in my view. All managers have favourites as do all fans, all pundits and practically everyone involved in watching football.

As for his substitutions, well its no secret that Coppell is less likely to make use of his bench than the vast majority of managers. He's frequently said he wants the players selected to find their own way through tricky situations. Now ive no doubt there are occasions where not acting with a change may have cost us in certain games but the bigger picture is that , the trust he gives those players will earn far more over a period of time.

As for the specifics on Monday, well it was documented that Hunt has been carrying a slight knock for the last week or so i guess it was laways the intention to spare him if possible, whilst Cisse definitely picked up a knock making a challenge during the game and was probably taken off as a precaution anyway.

Anyway
Welcome to the board
Good first post
I'm not reading all that
fcuk off newbie etc etc etc

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 05 Dec 2008 15:56

Chaney super thread mate, agree with every single word (except its spelt favourite :D ), amazing how SC can never see what to everyone else is so damn obvious that Shane Long will never make a footballer at CC or PL level
Agrred there

specially with the shane long bit

will never nake it at reading

hes called an impact sub

but neve rmakes an impact

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 05 Dec 2008 15:59

bishbosh92
Chaney super thread mate, agree with every single word (except its spelt favourite :D ), amazing how SC can never see what to everyone else is so damn obvious that Shane Long will never make a footballer at CC or PL level
Agrred there

hes called an impact sub

take off your gloves and type it again :wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Dec 2008 16:00

bishbosh92 especally bout noel hun being subbed

he was better than doyle by far monday

It's not about who is playing better or worse all the time but how the new partnership will perform when the sub comes on or what the manager wants the team to do when he brings someone on.

Agree with the general favourites theme though, it's one of those little things that contributed to our downfall last season. It's also one of those things that Coppell said he needed to address as one of his weaknesses.

It's easy to fall back on those you know and trust when times are tough though, it's having the courage to back the new players that is the difficult bit.

zummerset

by zummerset » 05 Dec 2008 16:02

Good post...I agree with everything you said (apart from rating of Harper). As I have missed the chance to feck you off - welcome to HNA!

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 05 Dec 2008 16:08

Chaney
bishbosh92
Agrred there

hes called an impact sub

take off your gloves and type it again :wink:
No i think its fine as it it

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 05 Dec 2008 16:16

Good post, and I did read it all.

I agree about Gunnarson against Southampton - that was the maddest sub decision ever. Also I wish that Coppel would make more use of subs - particluarly in blooding new players. But this year he seems to be a bit more flexible in his team selections and we have had a few more players getting short but significant spells in the side - Karacan, Pearce, etc.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Dec 2008 16:31

Handsome Man ...he seems to be a bit more flexible in his team selections and we have had a few more players getting short but significant spells in the side - Karacan, Pearce, etc.

Although they were largely due to injuries and the old regulars soon won their places back in the side...rightly or wrongy

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Dec 2008 16:47

Wongle Having followed Reading for the last 20 years this is, as I'm sure many of you will make me aware my first post on the forum. I have actively followed the threads on here over the years since we first moved to the Mad Stad and have on many occasions been enlightened by some of the posts that I have read....... i shall not comment on some of the other posts however!

Great post. I loved Coppell before most Reading fans decided to jump on the bandwagon and I'm still a Coppell fan to the core, but I have to agree this is the one thing that hacks me off about him: subs are too little too late a lot of the time.

And I couldn't agree more about the Lita point. I've started so many threads and made so many comments about this that it's getting a bit embarrassing on my front so I have to keep it a bit quiet now. Nice to see someone else taking up this point though.

Welcome aboard!

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 05 Dec 2008 17:13

The most annoying thing about RFC and it's fans are those that feel the need to quote a whole post, ffs we know what you are replying to, now stop it.

As for the topic, fans are much quicker to disregard players than managers are, because we want success, there and then, we do not see the team building going on, hence we slap in players we would like to see at our clubs, with no idea if they are really it or not. It is not that long ago that we berated the club for not getting in Hulse, at the time he took us apart on his arrival at Leeds. Since that game against us Hulse has scored 30 goals, signed for 1.1m and sold for a £1m profit by Leeds.

Summer of 2005 we signed a Kevin Doyle , unknown player from Eire, lack of ambition, etc etc, for 78k, since then this player has managed 52 goals, and is a book profit of at least £6m, sometimes the manager seems to know sod all, but twice manager of the season, named by most as one of the top managers in the English game, we should be happy not sat here complaining, it's not as tho we are doing all that badly,.

It seems strange to see RFC fans unhappy with 3rd at the second tier.

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 05 Dec 2008 17:25

I don't think he's unhappy about our situation, just wants improvement. Liverpool fans were booing at the end of the last game even though they are top of the tree...
There's always room for improvement whatever level you're at - and I agree with some of what is written - Coppell does have his favourites, Lita is far better than Long - but there are non-football issues there i'm sure.

I personally find it baffling that Marek is the best player in the league and he can't get in the team at present. I'm a fan of Harper, always have been, but at the moment Marek should be playing instead of him as he appears out of form / not doing what he has been doing for past 4/5 years.

Wongle

by Wongle » 05 Dec 2008 18:39

To The 17 Bus:

I was not puling apart our manager and tried my best to make that clear, nor am i unhappy with our current league position or performances (With exception to Southampton, but everyone has a bad day).

I am simply trying to vent my frustration and concern that it is becoming ever more apparent to me that Coppell is relying once more on players he would appear to favour (rightly or wrongly) ahead of others within the team.

I agree with many of the responses on here, there are benefits to be gained from showing support to players, and there are other issues behind the scenes that none of us will ever here of. However, when looking at the times we have made substitutions, who has been replaced and by whom it is worrying that we have displayed a complete lack of variety, and trust within the squad.

Many were on here toward the end of last season with exactly the same comments regarding the departure of Shorey, and the season prior with Sidwell. The last 3 months of Shorey's tenure were a disgrace, too many times did he show a complete lack of enthusiasm and should have been removed. Being that we may change a "losing side" none of the favoured players were removed for prolonged periods. It appears players that bide their time and then perform to the standards requested, are then removed unjustly and nothing more is said.

A few home games ago I felt encouraged when the east stand began to chant for Lita, i understand he is a jumped up little blighter, however we as fans should show more enthusiasm for the subs, chant for the likes of Henry, and support those that we want to see play. I know that Pardew didn't remove Caskey for prolonged periods due to fear of backlash from the fans (quickly followed by misplaced trust).

If we begin to ask for performances and players, there is only so long that the management can go before they may begin to listen. Perhaps a round of Ole Ole Ole Ole Bobby Convey, when we are next controlling a game and S.Hunt could use a rest?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 05 Dec 2008 18:48

Arch Quickly made up for all those years of silence, then.

PS. I'm not reading all that

PPS oxf*rd off newbie

Why come on a message board if you don't wish to read?