We have nearly played all the top 7 away

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
retro royal

We have nearly played all the top 7 away

by retro royal » 10 Dec 2008 10:12

Come 20 December (Birmingham away) we will have played as it stands today the top 7 clubs away, only Burnley would have played us at home.

Whilst Wolves have played Sheff Utd, Cardiff & Preston Away

Birmingham have played Wolves Burnley and Cardiff.

So while were seven points off the lead there is a great chance that the two in front are going to lose points on there travels against the top sides in the division. What am i doing a positive thread :evil:

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

Re: We have nearly played all the top 7 away

by Row Z Royal » 10 Dec 2008 10:20

Eh?

Arthur Pint
Location: Round and round the garden like a teddy bear, one step, two step and....

by Arthur Pint » 10 Dec 2008 10:30

Unfortunately because the Championship is such an unpredictable division where anyone can beat anyone on their day, I'm not sure how meaningful this is. Don't our results show that we've done better against teams near the top and all our bad results have come against teams near the bottom like Charlton and Southampton?

But trying to continue on a positive note I can guess we can hope that these teams in the top 7 take points off Brum and Wolves.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 10 Dec 2008 10:48

here is a good site for such info, scroll down and shows our results home and away in league order as it stands, you can do same for each team.

http://www.soccerstats.com/team.asp?lea ... &teamid=23

Y25

by Y25 » 10 Dec 2008 10:53

50% (and a bit) clean sheets from Marcus only 6 goals conceded at home - not bad again from Marcus. Hope the Feds can fill his shoes.

Arthur Pint
Location: Round and round the garden like a teddy bear, one step, two step and....

by Arthur Pint » 10 Dec 2008 12:05

The 17 Bus here is a good site for such info, scroll down and shows our results home and away in league order as it stands, you can do same for each team.

Great stats, I love it.

<statto mode on>
Interestingly from that if you look at the results of the top 3 and look at games that we either drawn or decided by a one goal margin be that a defeat or win here are the totals.

1. Wolves 9 games
2. Reading 9 games
3. Brum 20 games - that means in only 2 of their games have they managed to open up a greater than 1 goal advantage, nail biting stuff for their fans I guess.

<statto mode off>

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 10 Dec 2008 14:10

The 17 Bus here is a good site for such info, scroll down and shows our results home and away in league order as it stands, you can do same for each team.

Very good site for gambling research, too. :wink:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Dec 2008 17:05

Wow, it's almost as if someone produced a fixture list or something. Will we play them all at home as well?

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 10 Dec 2008 17:16

Gd point we all no that the championship is unpredictable, but if Wolves and Brum drop points against the higher teams it will be a great chance to get near automatic promotion spots.

FIngers Crossed Eh.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Dec 2008 17:42

One thing seems for sure. It'll take a lot for one of us to drop away and an upper mid table team tocharge into the top 2.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 10 Dec 2008 17:56

Good thread with good observations and stats, thanks everyone.

I think if one of the top two starts losing points they'll lose confidence. We on the other hand have arguable had our 'dip' and are playing catchup. When you're top and you go through a dip you can easily fold. With Brums many 1-goal deciders it's not inconceivable that they will fold. And certainly with Wolves' track record of crumbling after the tinest of bad spells it's again not inconceivable that they'll do the same this year.

We are looking strong. We've already had our upsets this season but we're still looking strong.

My only worry is the Jan window which will be make or break for us. This is where other teams gain an advantage over us, with our "Let's risk losing £50million by not spending £5million" policy. If we can pull through that by making a good signing or two, by not losing anyone important and with other teams not totally outdoing us (probably the most important factor) then a steady climb into the autopro spots is very doable.

Arthur Pint

by Arthur Pint » 10 Dec 2008 22:17

2 world wars, 1 world cup
My only worry is the Jan window which will be make or break for us.

I agree, the Jan window will be as nail biting for many Reading fans as the games during that time. Waiting to see who if anyone goes, my hope is no major losses with Lita going to Norwich and a semi-decent striker coming in.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 11 Dec 2008 19:25

This means nothing.
The whole league is completely unpredictable.

Arthur Pint

by Arthur Pint » 12 Dec 2008 11:44

SteveRoyal This means nothing.

Nearly as meaningless as those stats that commentators trot out like "Reading haven't won at Old Trafford since 1917", how is that relevant in any way?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 12 Dec 2008 11:48

bishbosh92 Gd point we all no that the championship is unpredictable, but if Wolves and Brum drop points against the higher teams it will be a great chance to get near automatic promotion spots.

FIngers Crossed Eh.

Your English and punctuation is improving. However, you need to write "good", not "gd" and "know", not "no".

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 12 Dec 2008 12:08

Ian Royal One thing seems for sure. It'll take a lot for one of us to drop away and an upper mid table team tocharge into the top 2.

I think by the end of xmas, it will be crystal clear that the race for automatic promotion will be a 3 horse race!!

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 12 Dec 2008 15:36

Arthur Pint
SteveRoyal This means nothing.

Nearly as meaningless as those stats that commentators trot out like "Reading haven't won at Old Trafford since 1917", how is that relevant in any way?

Surely the fact we will have played all the top teams away and still have to play most of them at home, where we might expect to win, is anything but meaningless.

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1