Adam Federici: Is He Good Enough?

170 posts

Do you think Adam can perform well enough to keep Hahnemann out of the team once he is fit?

Yes
70%
No
11%
We'll see
20%

Total votes: 209
Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Adam Federici: Is He Good Enough?

by Alan Partridge » 10 Dec 2008 16:47

Must admit I do hope Hahners can get fit before the Birmingham game, would be a big miss for him not to play that one in particular.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Dec 2008 16:59

Having watched football for several decades I would like to offer up the observation that reserve 'keepers very often play a series of absolute blinders when they finally get their chance through injury to the 1st choice.

Lack of consistency is often their eventual undoing but they do tend to do really well when first called upon.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 10 Dec 2008 17:01

Royal Rother Having watched football for several decades I would like to offer up the observation that reserve 'keepers very often play a series of absolute blinders when they finally get their chance through injury to the 1st choice.

Lack of consistency is often their eventual undoing but they do tend to do really well when first called upon.

Now you've jinxed it!!!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Dec 2008 17:04

I am of course always wrong so maybe I'll be right this time. If that works. :|

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 10 Dec 2008 17:06

Im not sure

Hes a good keeper dont get me wrong, but the Defensive didnt have as much confidence with him like they do with Marcus in goal.

Or thats how it looked Tuesday anyway/

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 10 Dec 2008 17:08

bishbosh92 Im not sure

Hes a good keeper dont get me wrong, but the Defensive didnt have as much confidence with him like they do with Marcus in goal.

Or thats how it looked Tuesday anyway/

At 1-0, sub keeper just come on,team not playing well I think it's human nature to maybe have a few more nerves at that time. Probably not down to Federici himself, more the game situation.

It's going to be interesting to see how he gets on, first choice defense, meaningful league games so no excuses now. This is the opportunity he has had to wait AGES for, so let's see if he's good enough.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 10 Dec 2008 17:13

Yh you have a point there m8.

Indeed he has had to wait so long for this shot, so lets hope that he proves himself.

As we cant afford to drop to many points.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 10 Dec 2008 17:14

bishbosh92 Yh you have a point there m8.

Indeed he has had to wait so long for this shot, so lets hope that he proves himself.

'too'

Your English is improving m8. Keep it up

(*) Gold sticker.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Dec 2008 17:27

According to the website Reading are unable to recall Andersen from his short term loan and therefore SC will need to go with 5 outfield subs (apparently Kevin Doyle is useful as a keeper) or recall Ross Kittridge from work experience at Basingstoke.

Personally I'd chance it....

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 10 Dec 2008 17:33

Barry the bird boggler According to the website Reading are unable to recall Andersen from his short term loan and therefore SC will need to go with 5 outfield subs (apparently Kevin Doyle is useful as a keeper) or recall Ross Kittridge from work experience at Basingstoke.

Personally I'd chance it....

There is also McCarthy who could be sub for a game. Me too I'd chance it and have the 5 outfield players.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 10 Dec 2008 17:38

rfcjoe

'too'

(*) Gold sticker.
Why thank you

I am trying

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 10 Dec 2008 17:41

rfcjoe

'too'

(*) Gold sticker.

Grammar next! :D

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Dec 2008 22:32

Hoop Blah He's not up to it.

Concedes far too many goals that a keeper at this level should prevent.

Based on what exactly?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Dec 2008 17:27

I am a fan but I thought there were some weaknesses today. 2 or 3 times he stayed on his line when I thought he could have come.

And when Cisse was dispossessed leading to their goal Federici was on the edge of the area so back-peddled rapidly but ended up nowhere near central thus giving Phillips an obvious target.

Having said that his kicking is fantastic. Early days but I don't think I've ever seen another 'keeper with better distribution. That is going to be an very decent weapon in these next few weeks.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 20 Dec 2008 17:38

Royal Rother I am a fan but I thought there were some weaknesses today. 2 or 3 times he stayed on his line when I thought he could have come.

And when Cisse was dispossessed leading to their goal Federici was on the edge of the area so back-peddled rapidly but ended up nowhere near central thus giving Phillips an obvious target.

Having said that his kicking is fantastic. Early days but I don't think I've ever seen another 'keeper with better distribution. That is going to be an very decent weapon in these next few weeks.

I thought he was pretty good overall but like Marcus he doesn't make up his mind early enough on crosses. At least he caught the crosses when he came for them and we didn't see the fumbling we sometimes get from Hahneman

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 20 Dec 2008 20:03

Royal Rother I am a fan but I thought there were some weaknesses today. 2 or 3 times he stayed on his line when I thought he could have come.

He was in no mans land for Bents chance towards the end too

He looks like a keeper who is going to stick to his line and pull off saves as opposed to dominate his area, but it was good to see him claim a few dangerous crosses which he failed to do against Norwich

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 20 Dec 2008 20:06

From what i've seen of him over the last year or so... he's good enough for us.

He has distribution where Hahnemann has experience.

No player is perfect, he pulls he quite often pulls off acrobatic saves... and sometimes he lets goals in. Quite often it depends on the players in front of him.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 20 Dec 2008 20:53

Southbank Old Boy

He was in no mans land for Bents chance towards the end too

He looks like a keeper who is going to stick to his line and pull off saves as opposed to dominate his area, but it was good to see him claim a few dangerous crosses which he failed to do against Norwich

in no mans land?..you mean when he left his line expecting a header back to him from Inga? judging by your board name I would have thought that you might have a better knowledge of football :roll:

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 20 Dec 2008 21:05

Chaney in no mans land?..you mean when he left his line expecting a header back to him from Inga? judging by your board name I would have thought that you might have a better knowledge of football :roll:

That might be one explanation, but if Ivar was heading it back from just outside the edge of the box, as I seem to remember he roughly was, then the keeper shouldn't be so far out. The closer the gap between keeper and defender gets the more likely you'll see a gaff

I think Fed did pretty well today, although again, he wasn't really tested as we defended so well. As others have said he seems to get out of position and conceded more goals than you'd hope for a top keeper at this level, but today he looked a lot more like the prospect some on here have been shouting about

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 20 Dec 2008 21:22

It's going to be an interesting conundrum for Coppell over the next few weeks. On the one hand there's the solid yet passive, reliable shot-stopping Hahnemann. On the other, the wonderful attacking distribution, yet somewhat suspect positioning with Federici.

Personally, I'd go for Fed, his accuracy of kicking, negates our lack of a classic target hold-up striker, keeps the tempo of our play high and really adds a lethal attacking dimension. The only disappointment with Fed so far, is his lack of dominance and control over the area. It's always been Hahnemann's weakness, kind of ironic that both an American and Aussie should be so withdrawn.

170 posts