yes
67%
no
33%

Total votes: 96
bishbosh92

Re: Should Shane Long be Loaned out?

by bishbosh92 » 11 Dec 2008 09:15

Id say yes deffo Loan out Long, either that or sell him.

Hes never really made an impact at this club

largetrousers
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by largetrousers » 11 Dec 2008 09:36

Agree with all, either loan him our or sell/release him. He just hasn't got the goods, and is not coming on in leaps and bounds. At least if he had the ability we'd see it, but its just the same thing all the time, being carried by others. At the start everyone at the club raved about his pace, where is this? He hasn't got the speed of thought so doesn't make use of any pace he might have. His touch reminds me of that ex Forest forward with the pineapple on his head, Jason Lee, who could at least head a ball! Those in charge need to take a serious look at themselves and spend some money on another decent forward if they want us to get back in the prem and stay there, all it'll take is a knock to one of our front two and our season could be over as Long will never cut it. Then again, doubts also cloud our depth in other areas (GK and RW in particular), this month will be a test and I hope we grind through it with maximum points otherwise we'll loose ground.

Im Spartacus

by Im Spartacus » 11 Dec 2008 10:06

A Fed is more than adequate cover for Marcus.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 11 Dec 2008 10:23

tbh even though i voted yes, i think it is too little, too late now, he should of gone last season!

Big Bears Blouse

by Big Bears Blouse » 11 Dec 2008 12:27

Yea, lets loan out our only backup striker. :roll:

Fools you if you include Mooney.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Dec 2008 22:29

I voted No purely because there is no obvious alternative at present. What message does it send out if you are sent out on loan only to be called back when necessity strikes. reminds me of a classic comment from an old Elm Park Disease which said that Ian Branfoot always selected Gary Westwood to play in goal when there was no-one else to choose from.

If there is a choice, and that choice includes someone who is considerably better and is fit then yes, either loan him out or sell him.

When does his contract expire? 2010? 2011???

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 12 Dec 2008 00:53

The obvious thing to do to push Shanes career and boost his morale is to loan him out. Pick up another striker in the Jan window / loan Shane out for the rest of the season, get some goals behind him. Bring him back, brimfull of confidence and go from there. I shall be very surprised if Lita ever puts on an RFC shirt again.
Lets hope Shane feels wanted at this club and his spat with S Hunt is settled. I would so hate to see the Boo boys at Shanes throat and denting any confidence he already seems to lack.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 12 Dec 2008 10:05

Without a doubt a yes,

I can understand why Coppell relented from doing it when he first came to the club, he was raw and had that impact that was needed amongst the subs bench and clearly enjoyed being part of the squad.However the problem with Long now is that this 'raw' talent has still yet to be refined as the seasons have gone on,i think we forget just how inxeperienced he even still is in terms in his involvement in football having only played youth team games at cork when he arrived.His work ethic is admirable very much in the Doyle mode of things and he is very pacy off the mark which causes problems,his problem lies in his positioning and making himself a nuisance as a striker to get into a position to shoot and score-in short he needs goals.Playing a cameo role after 3 years at Reading will not help him improve his sharpness in front of goal and i can only see that a loan spell with maybe a lower championship side will benefit him at this time.I also sometimes wonder whether playing in the shadow of Doyle does not help him as they have several similarities in the way they play.

Clearly it is a big year for Long as Coppell mentioned in the fans forum at the beginning of the season,he needs to start producing the goods or he could become another nearly man at RFC- a loan period would maybe toughen him up in front of goal.In recent games when he has come on he has the look of a frustrated young man,moody almost and his decision making has been affected as a result.I think the penalty 'discussion;' whilst not really a talking point highlights the frustrations of Long and how desperatly he feel he needs a goal.Incidentally like a few other posters on here I would prefer having Lita back and loaning out Long as there is always the goalscoring threat of Leroy however I think Lita wants to play in the starting 11 and that is something we cannot offer right now.If Lita does go in Jan its essential we get in a Forward to compete,Mooney is not yet up to standard and the same can be said of Church.

heathrow royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: As seen on Soccer AM and somewhere between Heathrow and Southampton airport!!!

by heathrow royal » 12 Dec 2008 10:57

Without a doubt he needs to go out on loan

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 12 Dec 2008 11:42

send Long on loan to a Championship or league one team so he'll play regularly for 90 minutes, recall Lita and give him 20 mins per game to prove himself once more. If Lita doesn't take his chance, get him out and recall Long back who will hopefully have gained more experience and confidence.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 12 Dec 2008 11:50

We can't loan him out as he's a 'Work in Progress' :lol:

I say release the sack of shite at the end of the season. RZR with 2 broken ankles has a better first touch than Shane Long

Murts-is-Lej

by Murts-is-Lej » 12 Dec 2008 11:52

I'm with the "needs to get regular game time" brigade. Considering purely Long's benefit that would mean going on loan (unless he can get a kick in on Noel where it hurts!), but considering Reading's squad we need to keep him until we can get some more strength in the Jan sales.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 12 Dec 2008 11:56

Harry Carry send Long on loan to a Championship or league one team so he'll play regularly for 90 minutes, recall Lita and give him 20 mins per game to prove himself once more. If Lita doesn't take his chance, get him out and recall Long back who will hopefully have gained more experience and confidence.

send long out on loan, sell lita in january and have church as a back up (providing he is fit) this will provide real incentive for both long and church and if all else fails Moons can come in on the bench.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 12 Dec 2008 11:57

jumpers for goalposts We can't loan him out as he's a 'Work in Progress' :lol:

I say release the sack of shite at the end of the season. RZR with 2 broken ankles has a better first touch than Shane Long

8)

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 13 Dec 2008 00:26

YES. HTH

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 13 Dec 2008 10:42

If I was Shane, I would give it a real go for the rest of the year and if it doesn't work out, I would have a word with the Manager about being released.
Most players want to play, he can certainly improve, but here he has flat-lined, saying that I hope he does come on, score and challenge N Hunt and K Doyle.

He can do a job for any team below the Premiership.
But he needs games.

hellopremiership

by hellopremiership » 13 Dec 2008 14:18

Bring Back Tyson!
Now he was an impact player.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 Dec 2008 14:24

hellopremiership Bring Back Tyson!
Now he was an impact player.

He certainly had an impact at Wycombe, yes. None here though really.

jocombes

by jocombes » 13 Dec 2008 14:36

Just needs to play some games, instead of being a bench warmer all the time

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 Dec 2008 14:50

I said no and I agree with RB's opinion on this. He should try to see what he can do this season and then see what happens.

If he doesn't break through this season he may well have to leave.