Not just us

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Not just us

by SCIAG » 02 Jan 2009 22:52

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Their full backs Foley and Jarvis are their best players - Kightley flatters to deceive, plays well against the lesser teams and goes missing against the top teams

Jarvis is a winger. :roll:

JS28ZoD

by JS28ZoD » 02 Jan 2009 23:42

Hoop Blah
Hoop Blah I don't see what the fuss is with Mancienne. Tidy, but nothing special.

From what I've seen of him though I think he's tidy, but nothing special.

Certainly not the kind of prospect that justifies being taken along with England an squad.

Feel free to drag this up in a couple of years time when he's the rock at the heart of Englands 2014 World Cup winning side!
[/quote]

I have been following his career with interest ever since he was introduced into the U21 setup. He has all the right attributes to be a top class defender, power, pace, strong in the tackle, a great leap and a consistently good decision maker. He was called a "one man defence" recently after one of his performances for Wolves.

He is the best young defender I have seen in a while (since Joleon Lescott arrived on the scene at Wolves). It woudln't suprise me one bit if, in a few years time, he is touted as Rio Ferdinand's replacement in the England set up.

yappy

by yappy » 03 Jan 2009 13:45

Well this is what McCarthy says about the situation: http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_4739184,00.html

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has warned Premier League clubs he has no intention of selling his best players in the January transfer window.

Stars such as Michael Kightly, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Wayne Hennessey have been linked with moves to the Premier League.
McCarthy, though, insists he has the backing of the chairman and the board when he says his key players are "staying put."

Laughing off any prospective bids from top-flight clubs, McCarthy told The Sun: "I've got no worries at all about the transfer window."

"If someone comes to me to ask about my players I will tell them to sod off.

"Then they can go to Jez Moxey and he will tell them to sod off.

"Then they can go to chairman Steve Morgan and he will tell them to sod off.

"And if one of my players comes to me and says he's unhappy and wants to leave then I'll tell him to sod off and all."

:lol: Not a huge fan of McCarthy, but I do have to say that interview did make me laugh.

I think its pretty certain Wolves won't lose any of their top players, the price of promotion far exceeds selling off their top players for a few million each. Wolves probably don't have anywhere near the same wage budget as us and Birmingham, meaning we may be more vulnerable to big offers.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Jan 2009 13:54

SpaceCruiser Let's not go off topic. But yes, they were shit in the second half of this season.

John Riggins = LEGEND!!!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Jan 2009 14:36

yappy Well this is what McCarthy says about the situation: http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_4739184,00.html

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has warned Premier League clubs he has no intention of selling his best players in the January transfer window.

Stars such as Michael Kightly, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Wayne Hennessey have been linked with moves to the Premier League.
McCarthy, though, insists he has the backing of the chairman and the board when he says his key players are "staying put."

Laughing off any prospective bids from top-flight clubs, McCarthy told The Sun: "I've got no worries at all about the transfer window."

"And if one of my players comes to me and says he's unhappy and wants to leave then I'll tell him to sod off and all."

:lol: Not a huge fan of McCarthy, but I do have to say that interview did make me laugh.

I think its pretty certain Wolves won't lose any of their top players, the price of promotion far exceeds selling off their top players for a few million each. Wolves probably don't have anywhere near the same wage budget as us and Birmingham, meaning we may be more vulnerable to big offers.

That's a great sound-bite from McCarthy, and probably exactly what Wolves fans want to hear - bur the reality of life (same as it is for us) is that no matter who tells them to sod off, when a PL club goes to a player's agent and as a result that player is then an unhappy player, the only option left is to do the deal for as much as you can get.

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 03 Jan 2009 16:59

Dirk Gently Everyone worrying about who we might lose in the transfer window needs to remember that it's not just us who has players who could be PL targets :

Newcastle could launch a £4m raid for highly rated Wolves winger Michael Kightly (The Sun)

As well as the Magpies, Kightly is also being tracked by Everton and Middlesbrough. (Daily Mirror)

Everton are also watching Wolves striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake. (Daily Mail)

Wolves could lose on-loan Chelsea defender Michael Mancienne to Everton but want Leyton Orient's £500,000-rated centre-back Tamika Mkandawire as a replacement. (The Sun)

Look at the sources.

Expect better from you Dirky boy.

Shit thread which needs to be closed.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 05 Jan 2009 10:05

yappy Well this is what McCarthy says about the situation: http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_4739184,00.html

It's all very well saying that but the power is with the players and not the clubs. If a player wants to leave and his form "suffers" because of it (look at Defoe's mysterious illness!) they will invariably leave. Also, if a top four club comes in for a player it will be difficult for McCartney to keep them.

Saying that, I don't think players will want to leave for the likes of Hull, west Brom, Bolton etc as they can see the potential for Wolves in the top flight.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 05 Jan 2009 11:25

Royal With Cheese It's all very well saying that but the power is with the players and not the clubs. If a player wants to leave and his form "suffers" because of it (look at Defoe's mysterious illness!) they will invariably leave.

If Pompey decided they can afford to dig their heels in, Defoe would have to start playing again, or kiss goodbye to any chance of breaking into the England team any time soon.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Jan 2009 12:01

rabidbee
Royal With Cheese It's all very well saying that but the power is with the players and not the clubs. If a player wants to leave and his form "suffers" because of it (look at Defoe's mysterious illness!) they will invariably leave.

If Pompey decided they can afford to dig their heels in, Defoe would have to start playing again, or kiss goodbye to any chance of breaking into the England team any time soon.

Yes, but it's a brave club that will take on that sort of fight. As well as tying up potential capital in an unproductive way, thee's a bad influence in (or outside) the squad and also the message to potential recruits and their agents. Sad but true that the clubs nearly always have to give in the the inevitable.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Jan 2009 12:09

Dirk Gently
rabidbee

Yes, but it's a brave club that will take on that sort of fight. As well as tying up potential capital in an unproductive way, thee's a bad influence in (or outside) the squad and also the message to potential recruits and their agents. Sad but true that the clubs nearly always have to give in the the inevitable.

Agreed, although in general I do think that players should be allowed to move on if they so wish but it does hurt a bit when it's one of ours!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Jan 2009 13:30

Dirk Gently

That's a great sound-bite from McCarthy, and probably exactly what Wolves fans want to hear - bur the reality of life (same as it is for us) is that no matter who tells them to sod off, when a PL club goes to a player's agent and as a result that player is then an unhappy player, the only option left is to do the deal for as much as you can get.

There is more than one option if the club concerned is prepared to take it and can afford the cost of doing so. That is to tell the player and his agent to sod off and let him remain unhappy for however long it takes him to get the message. It is a stand that would only need to be taken once to send out a very clear message to agents and the players they represent.

biscuitsrus

by biscuitsrus » 05 Jan 2009 14:32

Franchise FC
SpaceCruiser
Wolves Royal Their too busy talking about the 1950's, Steve Bull, and the Sherpa Van Trophy, Trust me. :roll:

I would trust you more if you knew the difference between "Their" and "They're".

I'm glad I'm not the only one irritated by the lack of spelling and grammar.
Spacey, you're right, it's difficult to take views seriously when the panda attacks.

there, there!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 05 Jan 2009 18:56

RoyalBlue ..........
There is more than one option if the club concerned is prepared to take it and can afford the cost of doing so. That is to tell the player and his agent to sod off and let him remain unhappy for however long it takes him to get the message. It is a stand that would only need to be taken once to send out a very clear message to agents and the players they represent.

See the preceding posts - it'd be a very strong or a very brave club that will make that stand. It's a lose-lose situation for any club that tries it, and usually any posturing that's made is just to try and hold out for maximum acceptable compensation/fee.

Once you've lost a player mentally (even if that means they're just not playing for you) they're a drain on finances and morale that no club can afford. This is the real world of football, not the principled one that no longer exists - the one where contracts are worth anything except ensuring maximum compensation.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 05 Jan 2009 22:48

Mind you, there aren't many employment contracts that don't allow a player to give a reasonable period of notice - even most other 7-figure salaried jobs will have that, I suspect.

Mr Sonko

by Mr Sonko » 05 Jan 2009 23:07

The point about 'other' employment contracts that allow you to give your notice is that they dont pay you up for the remaining years of your contract when you are injured and cannot work. It cuts both ways but players seem to only want to apply the term of their contract when it will work for them (ie when they are crocked)

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 06 Jan 2009 12:14

"Mind you, there aren't many employment contracts that don't allow a player to give a reasonable period of notice - even most other 7-figure salaried jobs will have that, I suspect."

But, in most cases, if a director in such a job states he is leaving, the company gets rid sooner rather than later.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 Jan 2009 12:31

noticed alot of the championship teams have had their loaness withdrawn in jan, and if they wish to renew it has to be for the rest of the season
as a result many of these teams are now without their best and most influential players.
shows the real negative side of using the loan system-these teams now have to use players who werent good enough, and havent played for ages

apart from wolves being able to attract players due to their current superiority, i think we are amongst the best prospects for hungry young players as well as the more experienced, at the minute

still dont want to lose pearce for surman though, cant we just sell hunty and use that cash to have them both?

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 06 Jan 2009 19:08

JS28ZoD I have been following his career with interest ever since he was introduced into the U21 setup. He has all the right attributes to be a top class defender, power, pace, strong in the tackle, a great leap and a consistently good decision maker. He was called a "one man defence" recently after one of his performances for Wolves.

He is the best young defender I have seen in a while (since Joleon Lescott arrived on the scene at Wolves). It woudln't suprise me one bit if, in a few years time, he is touted as Rio Ferdinand's replacement in the England set up.

Compare him to Alex Pearce, please. :)