Fielding "weakened" teams in the FA Cup

425 posts
philM

Re: Fielding "weakened" teams in the FA Cup

by philM » 03 Jan 2009 14:40

Southbank Old Boy
eleventh earl of mar Whilst it may not be a 'weakened' side that we field in these games, I think there is very little doubt that it is not our strongest.

If it's not our strongest then its weakened surely? :shock:

A real hunger to perform exceptionally well in a cup game probably comes easier to players not in the 1st team squad as the 1st teamers already have their own targets eg maintaining their team place, winning the division, become a prem player etc.

In a cup game what seems to be a weakened team when looking simply at form may prove on the day to be a much hungrier, and stronger, bunch of players desperate to shine and be noticed. The cup is the only other route to glory for them if they aren't making the 1st team and therefore they'll give 110%.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jan 2009 14:57

philM
Southbank Old Boy
eleventh earl of mar Whilst it may not be a 'weakened' side that we field in these games, I think there is very little doubt that it is not our strongest.

A real hunger to perform exceptionally well in a cup game probably comes easier to players not in the 1st team squad as the 1st teamers already have their own targets eg maintaining their team place, winning the division, become a prem player etc.

In a cup game what seems to be a weakened team when looking simply at form may prove on the day to be a much hungrier, and stronger, bunch of players desperate to shine and be noticed. The cup is the only other route to glory for them if they aren't making the 1st team and therefore they'll give 110%.

In theory I think you are right but in practice it doesn't tend to happen mainly because of the disjointed set-up of a side that won't have played together.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 03 Jan 2009 15:36

philM
Southbank Old Boy

Thats purely the modern fashion though. There is no real reason why the first teamers should treat the game any differently to league game if the manager puts the same importance on it

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Jan 2009 17:00

mini _dariusz
SCIAG
mini _dariusz There's only one twat here Spacey, Arsenal are oxf*rd for doing it, but Reading aren't. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are a complete joke of a specimin.

Spacey's point is that Arsenal field "youth" players wheras Reading field those directly on the fringes, those on the bench or contesting for a space on it.

Wrong, Spacey's point is that Arsenal are French which he hates. Reading can never do any wrong in his eyes and anyone that say's anything bad against them means they're pcunts.

You are an utter moron. I never once mentioned the French. :roll:

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 03 Jan 2009 17:01

but you hate arsenal cos they had a strong french contingent.

spacey, admit it, you're a racist.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Jan 2009 17:04

I hated Arsenal long before the French came to them. Oh, and hating the French is not racist. Xenophobic, maybe, but Francophobic, yes.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 03 Jan 2009 17:06

So, Reading field a significantly weakened side, hardly threaten, and tumble out of the cup at the first hurdle. Great.

Jimbo

by Jimbo » 03 Jan 2009 17:06

Jimbo The way the 'first' team have been playing recently, the likes of Karacan, Convey, Lita, Long and Henry could force their way into the that team if they play really well, and they know it.

I think we could see a cracking performance against Cardiff.

Thank you, and goodnight.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Jan 2009 17:13

Fair play to Cardiff - played their strongest side and got their just desserts.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Jan 2009 17:15

Platypuss Fair play to Cardiff - played their strongest side and got their just desserts.

Indeed - and last season their players and supporters had the experience of a lifetime because they take the competition seriously.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 03 Jan 2009 17:15

cmonurz So, Reading field a significantly weakened side, hardly threaten, and tumble out of the cup at the first hurdle. Great.

To be expected under this management, its why coppell will never be a top manager. He's done a great job for reading and I don't deny him that, but he never learns from his mistakes he lacks the ambition to manage a big club. EngLOLand manager.

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 03 Jan 2009 17:16

SpaceCruiser I hated Arsenal long before the French came to them. Oh, and hating the French is not racist. Xenophobic, maybe, but Francophobic, yes.

racist.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Jan 2009 17:18

mini _dariusz
SpaceCruiser I hated Arsenal long before the French came to them. Oh, and hating the French is not racist. Xenophobic, maybe, but Francophobic, yes.

racist.

I can't be bothered to argue with an unintelligent mong.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Jan 2009 17:18

SpaceCruiser
mini _dariusz

racist.

I can't be bothered to argue with an unintelligent mong.

Because you hate losing?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Jan 2009 17:19

Platypuss
SpaceCruiser I can't be bothered to argue with an unintelligent mong.

Because you hate losing?

I was winning.

Don Finch

by Don Finch » 03 Jan 2009 17:23

Do you get intelligent mongs? Just wondering.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 03 Jan 2009 17:24

Hoop Blah
Ian Royal Just answering my own question:

Since 2000 4 teams outside the "big" 4 have won an English competition.

Pompey - FA Cup
Spurs - League Cup
'Boro - League Cup
Blackburn - League Cup

So we should all give up?

On one level, I have. I accept that I am incredibly unlikely to see Reading win the league whereas it was possibly more likely 20 years ago that we could (or rather, the set of circumstances required to turn us into possible contenders then was less extraordinary than it would be now.) However, there is also a beauty in the road less travelled.

I don't really care whether our team is 1st string, 2nd string, reserves, kids, Doris the tea lady or whatever, as long as it tries when on the pitch. Of the last few seasons, some of my favourite games were the cup games. United, home and away, being a prime example but I also liked Arsenal away as a taster of the Prem back in '05 and us almost giving Liverpool a game last season. I've never watched one of these games and thought that we were taking the piss with our selections - every player involved either was a prospect or had played a part in the season beforehand.

I'd love to see Reading at a major final, I'd love to see Reading in Europe. These aren't going to happen until we've further established ourselves in the Championship let alone the level above.

I was winning

Unlike Reading today. :|

mini _dariusz

by mini _dariusz » 03 Jan 2009 17:25

SpaceCruiser
Platypuss
SpaceCruiser I can't be bothered to argue with an unintelligent mong.

Because you hate losing?

I was winning.

you hate henry, veira, and gallas. They're all black and they're all french. That makes you racist.

FACT

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 03 Jan 2009 17:34

papereyes I'd love to see Reading at a major final, I'd love to see Reading in Europe. These aren't going to happen until we've further established ourselves in the Championship let alone the level above.

We were very close to qualifing by rights for European competition just a season and a half ago. We even turned down the opportunity to get in through the back door with the Inter-toto

It's the giving up of these opportunites and the way we treat the Cup which grates on me, just for the sake of resting a few players etc

by 1960 » 03 Jan 2009 17:40

I am now officially bored with going out of the cup early every season. Against top four prem teams we are always going to struggle, but we play a strong Championship team and put out our reserves and I'm fed up. And don't let Coppell fool you that the whole squad plays at the same level - if he really believed that he would play these players week in week out in the league.

So, we're trying to consolidate in the premier league - mustn't tire our players and must focus on the league - play the reserves.
In danger of relegation - mustn't tire our players and must focus on the league - play the reserves. (And a fat lot of good it did).
Fighting for auto promotion into the prem - mustn't tire our players and must focus on the league - play the reserves.

Is Coppell ever going to want us to do something in the cup? I fully agree with the Daily Mirror man.

PS I don't think Forest put out a weakened team today. Let's see whether they suffer from it in the long run. I would wager that a handsome 3-0 away to Citeh will motivate them rather than go the other way.

425 posts