Re: Sir John Madejski

by SCIAG » 06 Jan 2009 20:36

SteveRoyal Coppell for Knighthood!
Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=57126270883

Leave Facebook groups to Readingfanman.

yuomi

by yuomi » 06 Jan 2009 20:57

probably been done to death elsewhere....but, given the scale of JM's philanthropy does it not stand to reason that he can plug a few quid more in the direction of another few signings. ive been to the v&a, i like his garden, ive even been to the royal academy and approve wholeheartedly of his patronage, but he doesnt own either of them. all proceeds from degas' dancer should go to the transfer kitty....

RichieBowman

by RichieBowman » 06 Jan 2009 22:24

probably been done to death elsewhere....but, given the scale of JM's philanthropy does it not stand to reason that he can plug a few quid more in the direction of another few signings. ive been to the v&a, i like his garden, ive even been to the royal academy and approve wholeheartedly of his patronage,

stroke that ego, Sir John....
Last edited by RichieBowman on 06 Jan 2009 22:59, edited 5 times in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jan 2009 22:40

yuomi probably been done to death elsewhere....but, given the scale of JM's philanthropy does it not stand to reason that he can plug a few quid more in the direction of another few signings. ive been to the v&a, i like his garden, ive even been to the royal academy and approve wholeheartedly of his patronage, but he doesnt own either of them. all proceeds from degas' dancer should go to the transfer kitty....

If I had a tenner for every time I saw a post saying Sir John should put a few more quid into the club for a transfer, I could probably buy us a player myself.

His money, he can spend it how he wants. We're doing pretty well thanks to his running of the club. Get back in the Premier League and stay there for a few more seasons, without spending massively, and we may even end up nearly debt free. :shock:

Just think. We could make history by being the first modern team in the black.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 06 Jan 2009 23:12

SCIAG Leave Facebook groups to Readingfanman.

Apologies. I'm sure he will forgive me.

yuomi

by yuomi » 07 Jan 2009 20:39

Ian Royal
yuomi probably been done to death elsewhere....but, given the scale of JM's philanthropy does it not stand to reason that he can plug a few quid more in the direction of another few signings. ive been to the v&a, i like his garden, ive even been to the royal academy and approve wholeheartedly of his patronage, but he doesnt own either of them. all proceeds from degas' dancer should go to the transfer kitty....

If I had a tenner for every time I saw a post saying Sir John should put a few more quid into the club for a transfer, I could probably buy us a player myself.

His money, he can spend it how he wants. We're doing pretty well thanks to his running of the club. Get back in the Premier League and stay there for a few more seasons, without spending massively, and we may even end up nearly debt free. :shock:

Just think. We could make history by being the first modern team in the black.

valid. i would almost go as far as saying i agree. but not wholeheartedly. fact is, football clubs are not vanity items. what are chairmen if not the graspers of the purse strings? IF the club generates money from the sale of players (ooooh...i duno...the ginger whinger for example) is it not right to expect that money goes the way of the team and it's development? i dont mind that much if he spends the 12mil he gets from selling his tatty artworks on a new west wing on madjeski mansions or another ferrari, his money. sell kits, sonks or god knows who else through the years and that is OUR (the club, not you and me) money. that should go towards getting us back to the prem, and keeping us there.

again, i dont begrudge him the knighthood and i am not anti-jm in the slightest. i know its done to death etc.

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 07 Jan 2009 22:09

I should probably point out at this stage, in Sir John's defence and probably for the zillionth time, that we really should blame Coppell for not spending his transfer kitty. Copps said recently "I have never been refused money for a transfer"....

Arise Sir John and spend thine own money as thou wilt.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 07 Jan 2009 22:29

Forbury Lion
Gordons Cumming My daughter's doing the same job in the Evening Post that Sir John started out as.

Will she now become a Dame? :wink:
The Cumming stadium doesn't have the same ring to in.

The Wanklyn Area has a ring to it.

+1 to the Sir John bits.
Last edited by Royal With Cheese on 08 Jan 2009 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 07 Jan 2009 22:35

SCIAG
SteveRoyal Coppell for Knighthood!
Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=57126270883

Leave Facebook groups to Readingfanman.

Why me?

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 08 Jan 2009 10:47

From the BBC Sport review of the week:-

According to Birmingham MD Karren Brady, the Royals owner was chatting to Blues counterpart David Sullivan when the teams recently met at St Andrew's. Sullivan apparently asked Madejski: "You've never married, John. Why?"

Madejski replied: "Why buy a book when you can join the library?" Brings a whole new meaning to the term Reading supremo.

Legend.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Jan 2009 11:50

Apropos nothing at all really Sir John recieves a smidgen of stick in the latest Private Eye for his Malaysian holiday

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 09 Jan 2009 06:53

He was on talksport last night talking about the cost of debt to clubs and wether they will go under or not. He seems to have pretty simular views to most level headed people in relation to sponsorship, corporates which are dwindling. Interesting listening.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 09 Jan 2009 09:32

He was on Five Live actually. Everybody`s mate Mark Saggers alluded to an imminent transfer but Sir John replied that they had agreed not to discuss it beforehand.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 09 Jan 2009 09:43

LONDON.- Sotheby’s announced that it is to offer Petite danseuse de quatorze ans in its next sale of Impressionist and Modern Art in London on the 3rd of February 2009. Estimated at £9 – 12 million, Petite danseuse de quatorze ans is one of the most ambitious and iconic of Degas’s works and a groundbreaking sculpture from the Impressionist period. The bronze cast to be offered at Sotheby’s is one of only a handful of casts remaining in private hands. This sale therefore represents a rare opportunity to acquire an icon of Impressionist art.

Melanie Clore, Sotheby’s Co-chairman, Impressionist & Modern Art, comments: “Petite danseuse de quatorze ans is the most important and iconic sculpture by Edgar Degas. We are thrilled to be offering this remarkable work which is so celebrated for the revolutionary nature of its modern sculptural form.”

Sir John Madejski
The consignor is Sir John Madejski, one of Britain’s leading arts philanthropists whose generosity has helped to transform many cultural institutions in the UK, including The Royal Academy’s John Madejski Fine Rooms opened at Burlington House in 2004 and the John Madejski Garden at the V&A in 2005 -- the garden at the centre of the Museum. Discussing the sale John Madejski said:

“I was delighted to share this wonderful sculpture with visitors to the Royal Academy in London where it has been on view since 2004. My collection is constantly evolving and developing into new areas.”

Knighted in the Queen’s 2009 New Year Honours list, the esteemed entrepreneur received his honour for his services to charity. He was previously awarded an OBE in 2000 for services to the community in academia and education with his numerous initiatives including the John Madejski Academy in Reading, the John Madejski Centre for Reputation at Henley Business School and the John Madejski Lecture Theatre at Reading University, in addition to guiding Reading FC into the Premier League. Sir John Madejski is also Chancellor of The University of Reading.

Is it all about making money?
Yes, yes I think it is...

Blimey.

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 09 Jan 2009 10:51

Hate his politics, but well done to the old boy!

New Song versions:

A:

John Majeski's knighted
He's been crossed by the sword
and when he spoke to queenie
he thought he bloody scored!

or B:

John Majeski's knighted
been touched up by the queen
he went back home to Cilla
and sweared he'd licked her clean!

(optional 2nd verse):

So now he really ought'ta
be in the f*cking frame
for one big mighty saunter
up Buckingham Palace Lane!

:lol:

Berkshire Born

by Berkshire Born » 09 Jan 2009 11:52

Do you reckon the staff will have to call him Sir Chairman now rather than Mr Chairman?!

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Jan 2009 12:10

You think the staff are allowed to talk to him ? :shock: