Well done Leroy

223 posts
jetsetwilly

Re: Well done Leroy

by jetsetwilly » 10 Jan 2009 07:49

LEROY Lita says he is desperate to be a part of Reading's promotion campaign after clear-the-air talks with manager Steve Coppell.

Lita came off the bench to score his first league goal for Royals since May in the 4-0 victory over Watford on Friday night.

It was the 24-year-old striker's first for the club since he netted in the win at Derby on the final day of last season when Steve Coppell's men were relegated from the Premier League.

He has played only three times for Reading since, the last being a 4-2 defeat at Charlton way back in August.

Unable to claim a regular start, he secured a loan to Norwich - where he remains their top goalscorer this season - and his future was is serious doubt.

The rumour was the £1 million Bristol City signing will either be sold this month or off-loaded in the summer when his contract expires.

But the message coming from the ex-England Under 21 hitman is that he is more determined than ever to stay and fight for his place.

Lita revealed: "When I came back (from Norwich) the manager and I spoke.

"He told me he would love me to stay here and be a part of things. I made it clear I have no pans to go anywhere.

"I have probably let that get to me too much in the past and I've been unsettled over the last couple of seasons.

"But I've got to get my head down now and look forward to helping the team over the rest of the season, keep my focus and not worry about anything else."

And he added: "It wasn't that I felt I wasn't wanted, it's myself, I like playing.

"I made it clear that if I wasn't going to be involved I would go out on loan.

"But I love this club. They have been good to me, I want to help and I want to put in my shift and help the team.

"But it wasn't happening and I wanted to play football - that's all it was.

"But as I said I'm here, we're all here, and we've all got to play a part during the rest of the season."

Lita freely admits his attitude when dropped by Coppell in the past could have been better.

However, it seems all that has changed: "I'm not the same character when I'm not playing," he explained. "But the manager thinks I'm a big influence in the changing room and I have to use that in a positive way.

"It's time for me to help the other lads. When I'm not playing I've still got to be the same person around the place and help the team.

"Obviously, everyone wants to be playing but if the other lads are doing well you have to give them their credit."

Lita has a massive job on his hands if he is to claim a regular pace in Coppell's starting XI.

Kevin Doyle hit his 17th of the season in the convincing Watford win and Noel Hunt grabbed his 10th in the league after Chris Armstrong had broken the deadlock.

With Shane Long also waiting in the wings, competition will be red-hot but Lita has done his chances of playing in next weekend's clash at Swansea no harm.

"I don't expect anything, just as long as the team is winning," he argued. "As I said, maybe I dealt with things in the wrong way but I've learnt, I'm more mature now.

"I spoke with the gaffer and I'm learning all the time. As long as the team is winning I'll be happy."

Lita came off the bench 16 minutes from the end to a ear-splitting roar from the Royals faithful.

And he repaid them right at the death by latching onto a James Harper pass and rifling a shot past Scott Loach from just iside the box.

"It was a lovely pass from Harps, he was screaming at me to make that run," he stated.

"It was really nice when I came on. It was a nice welcome back from the fans.

"Footballers really appreciate things like that, it is what it's all about, playing in front of big crowds and doing well for them.

"The fans have always been quality with me and I thank them for that. They're good with every player here.

"It's nice to know I haven't been forgotten. The fans are great, they look after the players and get behind them all the time. It' good for the team and long may that continue."

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 10 Jan 2009 08:02

Woodcote Royal Shane Long came off the bench and scored at Burnley and at home to Norwich. Both goals can be added to the one he got at Southampton. I would be interested to read the corresponding 3 page contratulaitary thread from both these matches.

Did the one for left back Armstrong's first Reading goal get deleted or does the partiality of Leroy's fan club know no bounds?

I'm certain tonight's well taken goal was the first time Lita has managed anything worth while from of our benches yet Long gets precious little appreciation despite having similar success on numerous occasions

I make that 2 league goals in a Reading shirt in nearly to years and, apparantly, that means we have no need to worry if Doyle or N Hunt get injured because this proves that Lita>>>>Long :P

Some of you clearly don't realise just how ridiculous you appear.

I, too, worry that one rare goal from Leroy will be seen as proof that we have no worries in the goal scoring department if Doyle or Hunt get injured or suspended ..........which clearly isn't the case.

Once again you come out with a pile of utter rubbish because you have a dislike of another player with your patronizing attitude.
Did you boooooooooo when he scored last night (If you even bothered to go)

This thread is about Lita, Not Long, not Armstrong, not anyone else.
He IS a natural goal scorer with pace. He misses one or two yes, but he has talent like it or not.

Personally I dislike the guy as his attitude stinks and although he has off the field problems he has a decent skill on it. I accept that.
Perhaps he has turned the corner seen the light and decided to knuckle down.
His team mates certainly didn't appear to have a downer on him.

Get of your high horse and get behind the guy, because if Coppell does not buy anyone in the Transfer window we may have to rely on Lita.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 10 Jan 2009 09:03

The finish for the goal may have been relatively straightforward, but he timed his run perfectly. Nice to have that ability coming off the bench instead of Long.

Royal Rother Hopefully a goal in the hoops will do him a power of good. He certainly looked happy which was nice to see.

Agreed, I haven't seen him that happy since he burnt £20 notes in front of me whilst showing me a badly filmed video of his latest slapper.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 10 Jan 2009 09:11

Woodcote Royal Shane Long came off the bench and scored at Burnley and at home to Norwich. Both goals can be added to the one he got at Southampton. I would be interested to read the corresponding 3 page contratulaitary thread from both these matches.

Did the one for left back Armstrong's first Reading goal get deleted or does the partiality of Leroy's fan club know no bounds?

I'm certain tonight's well taken goal was the first time Lita has managed anything worth while from of our benches yet Long gets precious little appreciation despite having similar success on numerous occasions

I make that 2 league goals in a Reading shirt in nearly to years and, apparantly, that means we have no need to worry if Doyle or N Hunt get injured because this proves that Lita>>>>Long :P

I, too, worry that one rare goal from Leroy will be seen as proof that we have no worries in the goal scoring department if Doyle or Hunt get injured or suspended ..........which clearly isn't the case.

Well as I started this thread out of enjoyment at seeing Lita score perhaps you could enlighten me on all my posts slagging Long off.
On the contrary I think Long gets a rough deal on here and I fully appreciate what he does including the goals he scores. I have said that on here repeatedly.
Why dont you cut Lita some slack and accept that if he finds his goal-scoring touch it will be great for the club

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 10 Jan 2009 09:25

jetsetwilly Lita has a massive job on his hands

lol

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 10 Jan 2009 09:33

PEARCEY

Well as I started this thread out of enjoyment at seeing Lita score perhaps you could enlighten me on all my posts slagging Long off.
On the contrary I think Long gets a rough deal on here and I fully appreciate what he does including the goals he scores. I have said that on here repeatedly.
Why dont you cut Lita some slack and accept that if he finds his goal-scoring touch it will be great for the club

Exactly, it's all this I like LIta therefore I dislike Long or visa versa rubbish.
I'm with you, I just want all our strikers scoring for us lots and lots of times.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 10 Jan 2009 09:34

Lovely interview from Leroy there. If his attitude really is where it seems to be, then we have 4 very good strikers at the club.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 10 Jan 2009 09:45

I was pleased to see Leroy back scoring, but again he didn't impress me. With his poor attitude he seems to think he doesn't have to work hard to get the goals, just put it on a plate for him and he'll score. Tonights goal just reinforced that thinking.

When he was played regularly in the prem and then dropped when failed to score his attitude was the same. Last night and at Cardiff I saw the same lack of application that we come to expect from him but forgive because he scores.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 10 Jan 2009 09:46

Lets realistically hope that Lita has finally seen the light and realised he is in a prime position now to really turn himself around. At least he wasn't sent to Coventry. SSC knows how to people manage, his patience might have almost snapped with Lita and his off field antics. The good thing is this will probably have cleared the air, given Lita the confidence boost to fit into the team and start to play with a bit more heart.

Without sounding too cynical - it's only a sound bite at the moment.

Tango Horribly

by Tango Horribly » 10 Jan 2009 09:47

winchester_royal Lovely interview from Leroy there. If his attitude really is where it seems to be, then we have 4 very good strikers at the club.

Agreed. Not sure why he has no pans to go anywhere though. Why would you want to have pans with you? Unless you are a travelling chef obviously.

Bath Hoops

by Bath Hoops » 10 Jan 2009 10:44

winchester_royal Lovely interview from Leroy there. If his attitude really is where it seems to be, then we have 4 very good strikers at the club.
I think its a great interview, and if he has really realised his mistakes and wants to play for Reading that would excite me more than any new signing. Given the reception he got last night I think it shows how the fans value him and its lovely for him to comment on the affect that has on players. If he signs a new contract then it would be the icing on the cake for me.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 10 Jan 2009 10:49

Bath Hoops
I think its a great interview, and if he has really realised his mistakes and wants to play for Reading that would excite me more than any new signing. Given the reception he got last night I think it shows how the fans value him and its lovely for him to comment on the affect that has on players. If he signs a new contract then it would be the icing on the cake for me.

Don't read too much into it. He's not looking to leave right now because he knows he'll get a much bigger signing on fee if he's a free agent in the summer.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 10 Jan 2009 10:52

winchester_royal He looked as dangerous, albeit against a poor Watfor side, as I've seen him since that flurry of goals in 06/07. Welcome back Leroy. Lets save money and keep him.

Agreed.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 10 Jan 2009 10:52

not saying it means 100% definate but after the game he told me he was staying :D

Bath Hoops

by Bath Hoops » 10 Jan 2009 10:54

That Friday Feeling
Bath Hoops

Don't read too much into it. He's not looking to leave right now because he knows he'll get a much bigger signing on fee if he's a free agent in the summer.
If he helps get us back in the premiership then so be it, would be a good price to pay to get there. Although I suspect that if we got there he maybe tempted to sign a new contract with us rather than leave to play championship football.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 10 Jan 2009 11:02

Lita has ability but not consistency. Right now he's buzzing off 7 goals in 14 games at a struggling Norwich side. He's confident and will score goals. I can't think of many strikers who confidence plays a bigger role for. When he's confident and in form he'll make himself busy, provide and lot of movement, get in the right positions, and finish.

When he's not, we're all now too familiar with the lazy Lita who contributes very little to the team and will miss his chances like at Stoke in the cup. If you look at his past scoring record for us, Lita is a very streaky player and if he finds himself out of the team for a while now he could lose momentum. I don't know how to solve the Lita conundrum, but I'm convinced that if the right club or manager gets it out of him, there is a class striker in there, Premiership standard.

We can't rule out that that club could be us. If Coppell thought all bridges were burned and it was a dead loss Lita would not have been in the squad last night, we'd have had Henry on the bench instead. It's not over between Lita and Reading, and you could see that from his response when he scored.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2009 11:05

eleventh earl of mar Pleased Lita scored obviously, but no-one has mentioned that with a free header from about 8 yards out he completely missed the target. I saw the game on TV and I did think all the players looked genuinely pleased when he scored.

So in the short time he was on the pitch he had two chances and scored from one! Most managers would be absolutely delighted with that I would have thought!

He looked really chuffed and fired up by the reception when he came on and was probably trying too hard for a while. Still, despite being manhandled all over the place (a point Harper could clearly be seen making to the ref) he didn't go down easily (one of the boo boys' criticisms) and didn't get caught offside for his goal (another of their criticisms!).

Welcome back Leroy and well played!

PieEater I was pleased to see Leroy back scoring, but again he didn't impress me. With his poor attitude he seems to think he doesn't have to work hard to get the goals, just put it on a plate for him and he'll score. Tonights goal just reinforced that thinking..

:roll: :roll:

Anyway, score enough goals and most managers would be happy to let the striker have a deck chair on the pitch just so long as they pop up and score when required!!

However, I really dispute the fact that he didn't work last night. Either that or he had a twin on the pitch back helping out the defence when required!

moo The only reason he got a good reception is because he is such a laughing stock meaning some quality songs about shagging peoples wives and 'videotaping it too'.

Quite effing unbelievable!! :roll:

What a complete and utter load of rollox. That was not the reason some of us gave him a good reception so it wasn't 'the only reason'. The irony is that he probably gets an even better reception because some supporters want to make up for the attitude of people like you!

Stooper LOL @ Fickle Reading fans.

A week ago you'd have bitten off Norwich's hand for 300k. He gets one goal and he's on the verge of replacing Doyle or Nhunt

Speak for yourself and some others maybe. Some of us have always been 100% behind Leroy as a Reading player,
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 10 Jan 2009 11:17, edited 3 times in total.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 10 Jan 2009 11:08

You are all forgetting we still have Dave Mooney.
Kevin Doyle was never truly considered an option in our front line until our strike force was hit with injury.
Correct me if I'm wrong...

eleventh earl of mar

by eleventh earl of mar » 10 Jan 2009 11:14

RoyalBlue
eleventh earl of mar Pleased Lita scored obviously, but no-one has mentioned that with a free header from about 8 yards out he completely missed the target. I saw the game on TV and I did think all the players looked genuinely pleased when he scored.

So in the short time he was on the pitch he had two chances and scored from one! Most managers would be absolutely delighted with that I would have thought!

He looked really chuffed and fired up by the reception when he came on and was probably trying too hard for a while. Still, despite being manhandled all over the place (a point Harper could clearly be seen making to the ref) he didn't go down easily (one of the boo boys' criticisms) and didn't get caught offside for his goal (another of their criticisms!).

Welcome back Leroy and well played!

PieEater I was pleased to see Leroy back scoring, but again he didn't impress me. With his poor attitude he seems to think he doesn't have to work hard to get the goals, just put it on a plate for him and he'll score. Tonights goal just reinforced that thinking..

:roll: :roll:

Anyway, score enough goals and most managers would be happy to let the striker have a deck chair on the pitch just so long as they pop up and score when required!!

However, I really dispute the fact that he didn't work last night. Either that or he had a twin on the pitch back helping out the defence when required!

Not complaining at the 50% strike rate at all. I'm just saying that the header was a very poor effort and I would imagine even Lita himself would agree it should have been on target at least .

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Jan 2009 11:34

Great to see him back at his best last night. He worked tirelessly when the rest of the team may have been winding down,was seen in every quadrant of the pitch,won a free kick or two,and scored a goal reminiscent of his finest hour at man city.
We know,lita knows and coppel knows he needs games to function propely,and he grows when he scores and thats what norwich was about.his attitude looks shithot,and 7 goals for a struggling team puts him on a par with hunty haul imo. And i couldnt give a monkeys about 300k either. And long was always a great 4th choice,he had his chance at 3,and could go on loan now if it was up to me,just for the games

223 posts