Jimmy Kebe is a good player, sign in

1107 posts
Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

Re: Jimmy Kebe is a good player, sign in

by Platypuss » 19 Jan 2009 08:05

1871royals
handbags_harris because despite what stats say, his end product is shit.".

Am I the only person who doesnt understand this comment at all?

How can your end product be shit, if you have the 3rd most assists in the division?

When "shit" is relative, not absolute.

When your team has scored 57 goals and thrives on its wing play rather than playing through the middle, is 8 not a relatively poor contribution?

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 19 Jan 2009 08:20

Royal Boil wrote:
Hallelujah for a voice of reason! The whole point about Kebe, and one that the moaners completely miss, is that he's not an end product - he's a work in progress. This is RFC and this is what we do. Like Sir Mad frequently says, we need a billionaire benefactor to be able to sit at the big table when it comes to buying big talent. So instead we have to gamble on potential talent and these decisions come down to the gut feeling of SSC and the coaching staff. More often than not they get it right, sometimes they don't. We will probably end up getting our fingers burnt with Fae, but that's the only big failure that I can think of. We even made a profit on Greg Halford. And remember that few, if any, of the Sidwell, Shorey, Sonko or Kitson crew set the world on fire in their first season. I personally think that the problem fans on this board have with Kebe is that he seems to promise more than he delivers. I'd counter that by saying that the promise is the key. Delivery will come in time. And FWIW, I'd also add that in my opinion, the contract extension had less to do with sending a signal to other clubs and more to do with making sure that he doesn't follow Sidwell and do a Bosman. Ergo, those within the club rate him, so despite what people here may think they plan to have him around for a while. And no, I'm not related in any shape form or fashion.

Work in progrees, you must be having a laugh Every game Kebe does the same things when he gets the ball in open play, either kicKing it too far, leaving it behing or falling over it. How many chances do you give a player he's had 20+ games this season and still has no end product.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 19 Jan 2009 08:47

Kebe made it into the top 20 players in the Championship (just) in one newspaper which was voted for by managers, coaches, players, pundits and fans in this divivion.

That gives an indication that he is viewed as major threat by opposition clubs and they will give him extra attention during matches. This in turn frees up space for other players.

His end product may not be the greatest, but if it was he wouldn't be playing for us........

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 19 Jan 2009 09:12

Dirk Gently
Dick Habbin's hairdo
2.8 lita injection I have yet to see a natural winger that is consistent, part of the game at this level.

I'll give you Dave Thomas, Gordon Hill and .... Steve Coppell - the three best wingers/crossers of the ball in the English game. Ever. Period.

Which is probably why they played for teams at the top of Tier 1.

I hate to be a sanctimonious, supercilious, anally retentive Nob, but I thnk you'll find that Steve Coppell actually started his career for the Rags in ther '74-'75 season when they were in the old Second Division.

I think Gordon Hill joined the following year - ad I can't be ar$ed to look up DaveThomas and QPR.... Tredds to the rescue?

Anyway, back on topic. Although my personal opinion is that Kebe is a wasteful, uncoordinated buffoon, one of England's best ever wingers rates him and I will concede that he has a much better appreciation for talent than me.... or any other Nobber come to that.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 19 Jan 2009 12:00

Wycombe Royal Kebe made it into the top 20 players in the Championship (just) in one newspaper which was voted for by managers, coaches, players, pundits and fans in this divivion.

That gives an indication that he is viewed as major threat by opposition clubs and they will give him extra attention during matches. This in turn frees up space for other players.

His end product may not be the greatest, but if it was he wouldn't be playing for us........

I remember Andy Hughes breaking into that top 20... Nuff said :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jan 2009 12:02

Deathy
Wycombe Royal Kebe made it into the top 20 players in the Championship (just) in one newspaper which was voted for by managers, coaches, players, pundits and fans in this divivion.

I remember Andy Hughes breaking into that top 20... Nuff said :lol:

That would presumably be the season Harper won player of the year and he, Hughes and Sidwell pissed all over the division's midfields.

John 3:16

by John 3:16 » 19 Jan 2009 12:16

Happy birthday Jimmy

And me

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 19 Jan 2009 18:26

Dick Habbin's hairdo Although my personal opinion is that Kebe is a wasteful, uncoordinated buffoon, one of England's best ever wingers rates him and I will concede that he has a much better appreciation for talent than me...
:lol: Brilliant! Unfortunately that kind of thinking, if applied religiously, would make HNA a very boring place.

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 19 Jan 2009 20:16

I'd just rather see Henry get a run in the side. At least he has quality. I'm fed up with Kebe, it dosen't matter how many men he dances round I know he's going to ............... rather than set someone up.

Fall over
Fall over the ball
Forget to take the ball with him
Let the ball run into touch
Pass the ball to the opposition
Slice the ball into the crowd
Run out of ideas

I was happy to give him a chance to adjust to playing in this country. He has had his chance and I see no improvement at all.

by John 3:16 » 19 Jan 2009 21:55

Sir Rodger Doyle I'd just rather see Henry get a run in the side. At least he has quality. I'm fed up with Kebe, it dosen't matter how many men he dances round I know he's going to ............... rather than set someone up.

Fall over
Fall over the ball
Run out of ideas

I was happy to give him a chance to adjust to playing in this country. He has had his chance and I see no improvement at all.

You forgot:

Pass into the area
Flash a ball across the face of goal
Cross a pinpoint pass right to a Reading forward
Assist a goal
Score a goal

He has done all those things too.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 19 Jan 2009 22:16

Sir Rodger Doyle I'd just rather see Henry get a run in the side. At least he has quality. I'm fed up with Kebe, it dosen't matter how many men he dances round I know he's going to ............... rather than set someone up.

Fall over
Fall over the ball
Run out of ideas

You forgot:

Pass into the area
Flash a ball across the face of goal
Cross a pinpoint pass right to a Reading forward
Assist a goal
Score a goal

He has done all those things too.

... and the reason why the majority (?) of fans like him is because he is utterly unpredictable. Of the 12 options above, he will probably take option 13 on most occasions. No, I don't know what that means either, but then again, neither does Kebe.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Jan 2009 10:40

Arch
Dick Habbin's hairdo Although my personal opinion is that Kebe is a wasteful, uncoordinated buffoon, one of England's best ever wingers rates him and I will concede that he has a much better appreciation for talent than me...
:lol: Brilliant! Unfortunately that kind of thinking, if applied religiously, would make HNA a very boring place.

It would allow for some more intelligent discussion instead of simple 'player bashing'. That is hardly boring. :)

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Jan 2009 12:22

Fall over
take two opposition players out of the game from marking him
Fall over the ball
take it past 4 players
put in a decent cross
set up a goal
scare the shit out of entire defences
Run out of ideas

henry has had a few chances, and never ever looked good enough to me, as yet

kebe has improved, and will continue to improve imo-

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 21 Jan 2009 13:19

The Real Sandhurst Royal Royal Boil wrote:
Hallelujah for a voice of reason! The whole point about Kebe, and one that the moaners completely miss, is that he's not an end product - he's a work in progress. This is RFC and this is what we do. Like Sir Mad frequently says, we need a billionaire benefactor to be able to sit at the big table when it comes to buying big talent. So instead we have to gamble on potential talent and these decisions come down to the gut feeling of SSC and the coaching staff. More often than not they get it right, sometimes they don't. We will probably end up getting our fingers burnt with Fae, but that's the only big failure that I can think of. We even made a profit on Greg Halford. And remember that few, if any, of the Sidwell, Shorey, Sonko or Kitson crew set the world on fire in their first season. I personally think that the problem fans on this board have with Kebe is that he seems to promise more than he delivers. I'd counter that by saying that the promise is the key. Delivery will come in time. And FWIW, I'd also add that in my opinion, the contract extension had less to do with sending a signal to other clubs and more to do with making sure that he doesn't follow Sidwell and do a Bosman. Ergo, those within the club rate him, so despite what people here may think they plan to have him around for a while. And no, I'm not related in any shape form or fashion.

Work in progrees, you must be having a laugh Every game Kebe does the same things when he gets the ball in open play, either kicKing it too far, leaving it behing or falling over it. How many chances do you give a player he's had 20+ games this season and still has no end product.

I'm firmly in the camp of those who actually take the time to watch players properly before passing judgement whilst taking all circumstances into consideration.

Frankly, whatever Kebe's shortcomings, to say he has no end product is utter nonsense. He may fail to deliver an end product more often than he should but those who say he has none at all either, don't pay attention or, don't know what an end product is.

When Kebe's end product reaches the kind of consistency that everyone is looking for, we will need to be in the Prem to stand any chance of keeping him..................that's why he currently makes lists of this divisions top players despite there being room for improvement.

Furthermore, no assessment of Kebe's current form can be made without making allowances for the dreadful state of our pitch. Even Ronaldo would struggle on a surface that makes passing tricky and has seen a number air kicks in recent weeks.

That's why there have been many instances of players pushing balls too far on an unreliable surface and Steve Coppell has made a point of thanking the groundsman for his efforts to get the pitch in some sort of fit state.

Our pitch must be a nightmare for wingers who like to to run with the ball and I bet Hunt and Kebe love playing on a surface that wouldn't look out of place in Prospect Park.

If someone offered of them a big fat pay rise to play on the kind of pitch they should expect to grace at this level and above, I don't think it would be a difficult decision, especially for someone who has a £5m "get out" in his contract and/or reads some of the countless pages of nonsense written about him here :|

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 21 Jan 2009 13:43

Woodcote Royal If someone offered of them a big fat pay rise to play on the kind of pitch they should expect to grace at this level and above, I don't think it would be a difficult decision, especially for someone who has a £5m "get out" in his contract and/or reads some of the countless pages of nonsense written about him here :|

This assumption that players give a damn about what the supporters think always saddens me. Cynic that I am, I severely doubt that Stephen Hunt cares what the fans are saying, especially given comments attributed to him this season. They are happy to take the adoration and unprepared to take the stick. They're only human I suppose, but I imagine that the disproportionate salaries that they command for kicking a ball of air around must soften the blow somewhat. I'd even go as far as to say that if any player demanded a move partly on the strength of some stick on something as frankly irrelevant as an internet message board then perhaps that is not the kind of character we want at the club.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 21 Jan 2009 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 21 Jan 2009 13:47

kebe WILL shine against wolves and prove all his doubters wrong

readingfc13

by readingfc13 » 21 Jan 2009 17:44

brendywendy

Fall over
Fall over the ball
take it past 4 players
put in a decent cross
set up a goal
Run out of ideas

Agreed. I'll admit I wasn't at the Stoke game but I've never seen Henry offer anything more than Kebe. Where Henry gets all this hype from I will never know?!?!

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 21 Jan 2009 19:26

readingfc13
brendywendy

Fall over
Fall over the ball
take it past 4 players
put in a decent cross
set up a goal
Run out of ideas

Agreed. I'll admit I wasn't at the Stoke game but I've never seen Henry offer anything more than Kebe. Where Henry gets all this hype from I will never know?!?!

Because he's young.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 28 Jan 2009 10:16

I have not been a Kebe fan you never know what you will get... against the Wolves I thought Kebe has his best game in an RFC shirt his teamwork and contribution to the win was excellent.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 28 Jan 2009 10:59

Lovely little flick of the heel to win a 50/50 ball on the edge of the Wolve box last night, just a shame that it ran a bit too wide for him to get in a shot. Besides all of the runs and trickery last night, I was also impressed by a couple of simple-yet-dangerous balls last night, like when he played Bryn into space, who then set up Noel on the edge of the box. That's an element of his game that has been lacking in the past.

1107 posts