The Right Back Issue

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Right Back Issue

by Ian Royal » 19 Jan 2009 11:54

Huntley & Palmer Anyone but Boris for me. Even in our first season in the Prem when he was pressed into playing right back he was slow and skinned often, that was two years ago :| It has to be Bikey or Kelly for me otherwise what sort of signal does that send out to those waiting in the wings?

100% spot on about Bryn

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Jan 2009 11:57

CMRoyal Bikey always seems completely out of sorts when pulled wide by forwards, so I worry about how he'll cope playing out there for a whole game. I expect Jarvis will murder him.

Bikey has played quite well in international football as a right back, and I'm sure he played there for us and looked pretty decent last season (maybe briefly the season before).

I think there is a strong case for all three candidates, but I think the one I'd worry over most is the one I think should logically play there...Kelly. In a game of such importance I can't see Coppell giving him the nod.

Murts-is-Lej

by Murts-is-Lej » 19 Jan 2009 14:34

Wycombe Royal
boy1985 I would have thought Murty has a recall clause in the deal, so i'd imagine he will be returning. If he isn't then it doesn't look good for Murts' furure here if he isn't even 2nd choice RB anymore.

Without reading the whole thread again, I'm sure someone has already pointed out that players cannot be recalled in the first 30 days of a loan period. Those are the rules and cannot be changed even if BOTH clubs agree.

And anyway Charlton broke him again at the weekend so he may not be fit enough anyway... :cry:

riverroyal

Ulises de la Cruz????

by riverroyal » 19 Jan 2009 17:44

Interesting to see Ulises de la Cruz is lining up against Reading Reserves tonight. He is on trial at Charlton.

Would have been an ideal replacement for Rosenior against Wolves if he is in good shape?

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ulises de la Cruz????

by Kitson12 » 19 Jan 2009 17:50

If he can be got on a very short loan deal I wouldn't say no! Proven Prem full-back and always been pretty good when he played for us IMHO.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Ulises de la Cruz????

by The 17 Bus » 19 Jan 2009 17:53

Good opinion, however he has not played much in the last six months, so is unlikely to be up to speed at all, sadly.

daveewington

by daveewington » 19 Jan 2009 18:51

I agree with comments made about Rosenior; kicking the ball away is stupid and immature. I personally would like Kelly to be given a chance, but perhaps not against Wolves due to the importance of the match. I would imagine Brynjar will start at RB.

As regards Bikey, is it just me that thinks he is far more composed on the ball and a much better player than Doobs?? He should be considered as first choice centre back, not as a back up for right-back surely?!

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 19 Jan 2009 19:04

daveewington As regards Bikey, is it just me that thinks he is far more composed on the ball and a much better player than Doobs?? He should be considered as first choice centre back, not as a back up for right-back surely?!

We've had this discussion before. Whilst Bikey is clearly better ability-wise, he's also not the best mentally. He has moments of madness and lapses of concentration at crucial moments. I wouldn't object to seeing him back in the side, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

* Just realised. 2-0 to Swansea might mean it is broke...

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 20 Jan 2009 08:28

Jay Tabb at right back anyone?!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 20 Jan 2009 09:27

Barry the bird boggler Jay Tabb at right back anyone?!

why not, cant get much worst

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 20 Jan 2009 09:42

Might as well play A FED there :roll:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Jan 2009 16:29

Wycombe Royal
boy1985 I would have thought Murty has a recall clause in the deal, so i'd imagine he will be returning. If he isn't then it doesn't look good for Murts' furure here if he isn't even 2nd choice RB anymore.

Without reading the whole thread again, I'm sure someone has already pointed out that players cannot be recalled in the first 30 days of a loan period. Those are the rules and cannot be changed even if BOTH clubs agree.

Actually, I think it can be terminated if Murty is injured so Charlton don't have to pay wages to a player who will leave before he recovers.

Maybe if we got Kitson to pay Murty a visit he'd come down with the flu. :lol:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Jan 2009 18:25

Huntley & Palmer

Might as well play A FED there :roll:

Disagree. I seem to remember Jay Tabb being pretty combatitive and a strong tackler when we played Coventry. Given that he can and has played on the right of midfield, asking him to play at right back might not be that silly an idea.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2009 18:30

Not a great deal sillier than putting Andy Hughes there, or SHunt/Convey.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 20 Jan 2009 19:02

Tabb to play right back is a real possibility.

He has played there before this season.

Coppell mentions the fact in his comments on Tabb.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 20 Jan 2009 21:36

daveewington
As regards Bikey, is it just me that thinks he is far more composed on the ball and a much better player than Doobs?? He should be considered as first choice centre back, not as a back up for right-back surely?!

Not just you, I agree as well.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 20 Jan 2009 22:24

So, you lot plan to introduce our new signing in possibly the biggest match of the season... in his wrong position?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 Jan 2009 22:41

SteveRoyal So, you lot plan to introduce our new signing in possibly the biggest match of the season... in his wrong position?

Rather him than the immobile Boris, or the inexperienced Kelly.

statto

by statto » 20 Jan 2009 22:45

"As regards Bikey, is it just me that thinks he is far more composed on the ball and a much better player than Doobs?? He should be considered as first choice centre back, not as a back up for right-back surely?!"

Very much so, these "concentration lapses" are greatly exaggerated.
I get pretty fed up with Duberry hoofing it back to the opposition under no pressure.
Bikey is by miles our best defender, and on his day is probably our best player, I think he should be playing.

statto

by statto » 20 Jan 2009 22:46

"As regards Bikey, is it just me that thinks he is far more composed on the ball and a much better player than Doobs?? He should be considered as first choice centre back, not as a back up for right-back surely?!"

Very much so, these "concentration lapses" are greatly exaggerated.
I get pretty fed up with Duberry hoofing it back to the opposition under no pressure.
Bikey is by miles our best defender, and on his day is probably our best player, I think he should be playing.