831 posts
Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

by Sun Tzu » 23 Jan 2009 11:45

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
boy1985
CMRoyal
'greed, Armstrong's far too quick, N Hunt scores far too many goals and our own goal and penalty concession rates have fallen through the floor since Sonko left. I'm abso-oxf*rd-lutely gutted at the way things have gone.

I know how i wish we'd gone out and spent all the 15+mil we got from those deals on 'big' names

I think the differnece is that Shorey, Sonko and Kitson were far easier to replace than Hunt.

That's an unsupportable arguement though - seeing as we have no idea how we may go about replacing Hunt.

We also had no idea how we would replace Kitson or Shorey (and in fact it took us a while to replace Shorey -with his dead ball expertise and role in our attack being quoted by many as a reason why we'd struggle to replace him !).

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 23 Jan 2009 11:50

Sun Tzu If we replace Hunt the way we replaced Shorey, Kitson and Sonko then I'm sure we'll all have cause to tear up our season tickets.

Hunt will be harder to replace than Shorey , Kitson and Sonko

Villa want rid of Shorey already ,Kitson hasnt had a shot on target yet however Sonko is still getting sent off and giving away penaltys

Armstrong and Noel Hunt >>>>>> Kitson and Shorey

Stephen hunt will be missed when he leaves but hes not irreplaceable. I am sure Coppell has some replacements lined up already. I for one will not be tearing up my season ticket as its pretty impossible to tear a plastic card. That and the fact that I was coming when a crowd of 8000 was a good crowd.
Last edited by bigmike on 23 Jan 2009 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2009 11:55

bigmike
Sun Tzu If we replace Hunt the way we replaced Shorey, Kitson and Sonko then I'm sure we'll all have cause to tear up our season tickets.

Villa want rid of Shorey already ,Kitson hasnt had a shot on target yet however Sonko is still getting sent off and giving away penaltys

Armstrong and Hunt >>>>>> Kitson and Shorey

Stephen hunt will be missed when he leaves but hes not irreplaceable. I am sure Coppell has some replacements lined up already. I for one will not be tearing up my season ticket as its pretty impossible to tear a plastic card. That and the fact that I was coming when a crowd of 8000 was a good crowd.

It's possible though that Armstrong & Cambpell-Ryce/Surman>>>>>> Armstrong and Hunt.

We don't know. We also could not have seen how the other 3 were going to do at their new clubs - Hunt could easily go the same way for all we know...

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Jan 2009 11:56

Stranded It's possible though that Armstrong & Cambpell-Ryce/Surman>>>>>> Armstrong and Hunt.

We don't know. We also could not have seen how the other 3 were going to do at their new clubs - Hunt could easily go the same way for all we know...

Assuming Tabb is not a direct replacement for Hunt, as Coppell has indicated, then the relevant comparison at the moment is Armstrong and Convey, to Armstrong and Hunt.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Jan 2009 11:57

bigmike

Armstrong and Hunt >>>>>> Kitson and Shorey

Why does the fact that those 3 players have struggled mean replacing Hunt would be harder ? Shorey and Kitson were better players than Hunt.

He's certainly replaceable although it will be sad if he does go.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Jan 2009 11:58

cmonurz
Stranded It's possible though that Armstrong & Cambpell-Ryce/Surman>>>>>> Armstrong and Hunt.

Assuming Tabb is not a direct replacement for Hunt, as Coppell has indicated, then the relevant comparison at the moment is Armstrong and Convey, to Armstrong and Hunt.

Not really, as Hunt hasn't left so you could take a hypothetical situation where he goes and replace it with who we would hypothetically bring in.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Jan 2009 11:59

So I can repost that when he signs for Wigan?

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 23 Jan 2009 11:59

BTW I ment Armstrong and Noel Hunt are better than the players they were brought in to replace

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 23 Jan 2009 12:00

1871royals SC has said that Tabb was brought in to "supplement" the squad. So if Hunty goes we should sign another left winger. I would prefer Jamal Cambell Ryce

Isn't he right sided as well ?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2009 12:02

cmonurz So I can repost that when he signs for Wigan?

I would initially anticipate Tabb playing there if Hunt has gone pre-Wolves as he's been here a few days and can play on the left.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2009 12:03

Scarface
1871royals SC has said that Tabb was brought in to "supplement" the squad. So if Hunty goes we should sign another left winger. I would prefer Jamal Cambell Ryce

If so Kebe goes left, which is apparently his preferred spot.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 23 Jan 2009 12:04

Shorey cetainly wasn't better than Hunt last season and Kitson thought he was Teddy Sherringham, when we needed some more direct like NHunt to play with Doyle. Don't think either were ever as important to the side as SHunt has been this season.

Also, I can't think of many player who could replace him from the Champ. Surman is a very different type of player, Cambell Ryce is more in the KEbe mould.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 23 Jan 2009 12:05

Stranded
Scarface

If so Kebe goes left, which is apparently his preferred spot.

yes i would put kebe on left and tabb on right

1871royals

by 1871royals » 23 Jan 2009 12:11

I know its slightly off topic but I think people are undervaluing the contributions of Shorey and Kitson.

Shorey and Kitson performed consistently well for us (around 3 season irc) at this level. Then Shorey was brilliant for us first season in the Prem, and Dave Kitson got bout 10 (irc) last season. So both of them had a relatively successful season in the Prem each as well.

Im very happy about Armstrong, but imo he is slightly better then Shorey defensively but Shorey was a lot better offensively. Also you cant judge Armstrong until hes played for us in the top division, all hes done so far for us is have half a good season in Championship, its easy to look good defensively in this division.

Same with Noel Hunt, I think technically Kitson was better, but Hunts got a much better mentality. Im not sure if he will be succesful in the Prem. Hopefully we can find out next year :)

IMO you cant properly decide how well we have replaced Kitson and Shorey till we are in the Prem. Also would Dave Kitson have scored more than 11 (or whatever NH scored) in this team?

I think he would.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 23 Jan 2009 12:38

Heskey to Villa for £3.5m and Hunt to Wigan for £5m !!

Am I missing something here ?

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 23 Jan 2009 12:42

Gunny Fishcake Heskey to Villa for £3.5m and Hunt to Wigan for £5m !!

Am I missing something here ?

Yep, Heskey's contract is up in the summer. Hunts isn't.

It's what the contract is worth, not the player. (Or what figure is the trigger in the release clause)
Last edited by Agent Balti on 23 Jan 2009 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Jan 2009 12:46

Is Carew injured? Weird signing by Villa otherwise - Heskey doesn't fit their style of play at all.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 23 Jan 2009 12:48

cmonurz Is Carew injured? Weird signing by Villa otherwise - Heskey doesn't fit their style of play at all.

Carew is likely to be out for the season. It's a reasonable offer for Villa to make. They've only got Harewood (LOL) and Delfouneso up front who are any great height, so they need a target man.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Jan 2009 12:50

No news of this anywhere apart from Skysports. Nothing on the BBC and on their gossip columns.

I believe it will go through. So long Hunty and thanks for all the fish. You've given four years of great service to the club and I'll never forget your foraging runs.

I hope we get Surman in as I haven't seen much of Jamal C-R. I think we should play Tabby at left wing and Surman can back him up.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Jan 2009 12:59

Sun Tzu
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe I think the differnece is that Shorey, Sonko and Kitson were far easier to replace than Hunt.

That's an unsupportable arguement though - seeing as we have no idea how we may go about replacing Hunt.

We also had no idea how we would replace Kitson or Shorey (and in fact it took us a while to replace Shorey -with his dead ball expertise and role in our attack being quoted by many as a reason why we'd struggle to replace him !).

I don't think we've replaced a vintage Shorey at all. We've got in a left back who's capable of doing a very decent job at this level, but he isn't the influence and quality of footballer that Shorey was for 3 or 4 years before his head got turned and his form disappeared.

Armstrong is doing a fine and steady job, better than, or as good as, Shorey was though? Nowhere near.

Same with Sonko really. We've not got a centre back that is as dominant as Sonko was pre-injury. What we do have is a couple of options that will perform better than the Sonko we had post-injury. Getting the money we did for him was a good move in all senses.

831 posts