Wolves - Back From The Game...

185 posts
strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Wolves - Back From The Game...

by strap » 28 Jan 2009 16:15

May I just say that I thought Kebe had a good game last night, certainly the best I've seen him play for the club.

Whilst some of his crossing was a bit off, he at least kept tracking back and even put in one or two last ditch tackles. My fear that our right wing would be our undoing was way off mark, even though Wolves did try to exploit it.

Cracking game, played at 100mph. No PL scouts watching would be overly worried about facing either side next season, I just wished we'd have had the courage to keep the ball on the deck and pass it more. When we did, i thought we seriously embarassed Wolves.

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 28 Jan 2009 16:29

lol

i must say for Collins

it will be a game to forget

what a shocker an early own goal and a late sending off!!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2009 16:32

bishbosh92 lol

i must say for Collins

it will be a game to forget

what a shocker an early own goal and a late sending off!!

For abusing an official as well. No excuse, totally self inflicted and deserved.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 28 Jan 2009 16:33

BR2
I thought we were much the better side in the first half but might have gone in at 1-1 if Keogh hadn't missed a sitter.

I have seen this mentioned a number of times. Did nobody notice that he was flagged offside?

M0J0

by M0J0 » 28 Jan 2009 16:36

T.R.O.L.I.
M0J0 If you don't agree ask gazza what he thinks. If the ref had warned him and even booked him when he commited his first foul in the FA cup final he may not have commited the second,which injured his knee so badly.

The second for which, had the ref applied the letter of the law to both tackles, should have seen Gascoigne red-carded whilst on the stretcher.

Also - don't forget that the referees' assessor is in the stands watching every decision the referee makes and referees have marks taken away for not correctly applying the laws of the game.

As someone once said - There is no place for sentiment in football.

that is exactly my point, if he had been booked for the first offence he may not have committed
the second, and an injury that almost cost him his career may not have happened.

so as i said .. inconsistant refs should use discretion and common sense.

how often do you see a ref not book a player for an offence because he is already on a yellow. ??

he is using his discretion and if he can do it then why can't he do it in the penultimate minute.

especially as it was Readings MOM

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2009 16:40

Because the player has made a blatant breah of the rules in a season which has been highlighted as toughening up on lack of respect to officials.

The ref could easily have been lenient for the player having a go at the lino, if it wasn't too severe. But that would be the case at whatever time in the match. You don't know what was said. The ref does and clearly decided it was a red offence.

Part of the punishment for such an offence is suspension. Why should the player get away with it just because one half of the punishment will have no effect on his team. He's essentially getting away totally free for what is frankly pathetic and idiotic.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Jan 2009 16:41

JC
BR2
I thought we were much the better side in the first half but might have gone in at 1-1 if Keogh hadn't missed a sitter.

I have seen this mentioned a number of times. Did nobody notice that he was flagged offside?

Yes...as I think I pointed out early!

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 28 Jan 2009 16:43

Row Z Royal The straight red at the end seemed harsh for dissent only, but fair play to the lino for speaking up.

I personally think refs should do that more often, set a precedent. Admittedly 1 incident won't do that.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 28 Jan 2009 16:52

LoyalRoyalFan A good performance from the lads last night. It was scrappy and the ball spent too much in the air but it was a good defensive display and that is all we needed. Alex Pearce put in a brilliant performance at the back and against one of the best attacking teams in the league, he excelled. There are however one or two things we could do to improve our game. We play far too much long ball. We struggled to put together two or three passes on the ground. These in turn caused few chances in the second half. So to Coppell.. More direct football and less Long Ball.

:wink:

Get used to it until next season/we find another pitch to play on.

Skyline

by Skyline » 28 Jan 2009 16:54

M0J0 All i am saying is that in the great scheme of things abusing the linesman is hardly a sending off offence when the game is as good as over ,and many more serious incidents have gone totaly unpunished. and whilst it is under discussion i also think that awarding a penalty in the last few minutes of a game for an offence that is any less than a blatant ,deliberate handball or the like,is not a good thing.
i suppose what i am saying is that these inconsistant referees should use a bit of discretion and common sense. sometimes.

So if we boil down your argument to the fundamentals, you want the referees to be less inconsistent by ... being more inconsistent?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Jan 2009 17:05

Mojo

He had 3 goes at the lino, he'd had his warning and just kept going.

At what point does a ref decide that a player actually wants an early bath and just tell him to go and have one ?

This was not a one off comment of frustration. It was repeated, it was stupid and has been pointed out it was exactly the sort of thing that there has been a huge campaign to stop.

You could perhaps have excused it if he had been denied a last minute penalty with a contentious decision but to abuse an offical over a throw on in that position is just stupid and you don't seem to take on board that it was 100% the players fault rather than the ref e=being over jealous.

Was it Burnley who had a player sent off in the last minute against us for a bad tackle ? Shoul dhe have been allowed to get away with it under the '90th minute amnesty' rule ?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Jan 2009 18:18

M0J0 I can't understand the logic of the Ref, how can he send a player off in the 93rd minute of a 94 minute game. I cannot imagine a scenario where i could justify a sending off at that stage of a very important game, with players wasting as much time as they can and the other teams players anxious to get the ball up the other end, unless of course the said player nstead of swearing ,was to produce a machette or a machine gun and start attacking the linesman. no...I think a quiet word in his shell like would have been enough.

If he deserves to be sent off he gets sent off, whenever - end of
Doesn't always happen but it should - this is about the only thing I can't criticise the ref for

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Jan 2009 18:21

Platypuss
bcubed I agree Doyle is a huge asset and the master of chasing and winning lost causes.
But he looked off the pace in the second half and perhaps disinterested at times. I rarely think he should be subbed but with 20/25 minutes to go it was obvious he needed to come off. Just knackered? Guess he's due a rest

Tired? He's only played 3 times in the last 4 weeks!

I know, but he was certainly off the pace and looked knackered - maybe he's not sleeping well?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 28 Jan 2009 18:44

It may be the opposite: rustiness. I remember Coppell saying that we needed the game against Watford, which was after a gap. The same might be true again.

S09Royal

by S09Royal » 28 Jan 2009 20:07

Well, that game has to have been the best game i've seen this season so far!

My mate's dad said before the game, 'flippin' heck, look how tall the Wolves goalie is! :shock: ' I said, 'That won't matter...much'
And i was proved right when the OG went OVER Hennessey's head :lol:
The own goal was beautiful. I think this game had a lot of comedy:
1. Wolves own goal-beautiful.
2. 2 Wolves players colliding in the funniest way possible :lol: tho, i do think it must've been rather painful!
3. The ref falling over :lol: :lol:
4. Collins being sent off. I had NO idea what was happening, so i didn't know why!
5. Wolves players getting frustrated by us because we were putting a lot of pressure on them. They rarely knew what to do with the ball.

We played fine without Rosenior. Kebe was a livewire. Doyle never stopped running. And i have to say, NHunt played very well. He never gave up. He put pressure on the wolves defence which caused them to rush kicks. Well done. Now why can't we play like that against other teams? :roll:

AbingdonRoyal

by AbingdonRoyal » 28 Jan 2009 20:21

Did anyone hear Nick a 'so called' Reading fan call in to Talk Sport after the game? He said it was a rubbish game with really poor football from both sides. He told Stan Collymore that we have no chance of finishing in the promotion places.

Nick was clearly a very depressed fellow. While I don't want to get too carried away just yet surely we have good reason to get optimistic and proud of the season so far?

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 28 Jan 2009 20:22

No one knows what was said to the linesman to make him call over the ref , the ref and linesman had a lengthy discussion about what had happened so it wasnt a spur of the moment decision.... a red card was given so he must have said something pretty offensive.
So stop defending him

Cookie

by Cookie » 28 Jan 2009 20:27

FiNeRaIn
Row Z Royal Excellent result, decent performance but, most of all, a GREAT game. Considering we've seen some appalling football this season, today's game was a fantastic advert for CCC football. Well done 'ding & Wolves.

Bit confused by this, apart from a nice intense atmosphere mostly generated by our fans, the football was poor, really poor.

You're right, but the greatness of the game was in doing the double over our main rivals.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Jan 2009 20:29

Royal Monk No one knows what was said to the linesman to make him call over the ref , the ref and linesman had a lengthy discussion about what had happened so it wasnt a spur of the moment decision.... a red card was given so he must have said something pretty offensive.
So stop defending him

He certainly did - couldn't make out what he said but from the look on his face he wasn't wishing the lino a good journey back. It was only a handful of words - I'd guess that first was You, the second started with F and then the thrid could have been one of many. But he'd certainly lost it when he turned to the lino and had his outburst.

Son of Len

by Son of Len » 28 Jan 2009 21:48

Actually, the ref is a closet Wolves supporter and is trying to help the team by banning Collins.

185 posts