I rather hope Harper and Shunt leave now

170 posts
OLLIE KEARNS

Re: I rather hope Harper and Shunt leave now

by OLLIE KEARNS » 30 Jan 2009 12:47

Some of you might not miss Harps but I can promise you our two centre backs would !! :)

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 30 Jan 2009 12:48

Either
a) Hunt and Harper goes
b) Hunt stays, Harper goes
c) Harper goes, Hunt Stays
d) Hunt and Harper stay.

If you were to ask me which scenario I would prefer, I would say 'I dont know'.

I am getting fed up with Hunt's antics, mind.
Last edited by Dr Hfuhruhurr on 30 Jan 2009 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jan 2009 12:48

OLLIE KEARNS Some of you might not miss Harps but I can promise you our two centre backs would !! :)

And the full backs. At least if they like getting forward they would.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jan 2009 12:49

I'm sure we have players in the squad who could possibly do a job in there but IMO not as well as Harper... I just find it hard to believe that we would sell one of our better players with 17 games to go whilst we are second.

Especially given the comments out of the club all window that we were not prepared to sell anyone but couldn't control the Hunt situation.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 30 Jan 2009 12:51

Ian Royal
OLLIE KEARNS Some of you might not miss Harps but I can promise you our two centre backs would !! :)

Fact is, everyone will miss him - some just don't realise it yet.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 30 Jan 2009 12:52

CMRoyal
Ian Royal

Fact is, everyone will miss him - some just don't realise it yet.

Some sense invading the team board!

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 30 Jan 2009 12:53

Ian Royal

Agree

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Jan 2009 12:56

Alan Partridge Rother we agree again!!

Harper can be replaced by either a better footballer in Matejovsky orthe younger version of him in Karacan and reading will carry on as normal. I don't see losing Harper as any sort of loss to be honest. He'll go with everyone's blessing after 8 years of service but there is nothing about his game that can't be replaced or improved on when he goes. What we lose in Harper we will gain in either Marek or Karacan.

As for Hunt I would like a replacement of good quality, a Campbell Ryce or a Surman. Different types of players but both naturally wide players that would give us something different. Again we'd miss Hunt's set pieces, we'd miss his enrgy and commitment. But we'd add more quality from open play in Surman or we'd add more pace and trickery in Campbell Ryce.

We'd make tidy profits on both having had their best years, they'd get their moves and RFC can move on. I would have no problem with either or in lots of ways preferably both leaving. The only person Reading can't replace is Doyle, they keep him and they'll be fine.

I agree with you, too.

Actually, although I was delighted with the way the team fought against Wolves, I don't think Gunnarsson or Harper were that special on the night and Karacan should consider himself extremely unfortunate to have not been involved recently given his impressive displays earlier in the season.

I know Wolves had injury problems when we beat them 0-3 but that night was the best I've seen the team perform as a unit this season and probably for most of the last as well.

Bryn and Jem were in the centre that night and if the latter replaces Harps alongside Cisse, I think this tougher core could be just what we need given Kebe being more lightweight on the flank.

It will be a sad day for me when James Harper leaves this club but, frankly, he's been played almost constantly regardless of his form at any given time not just by Coppell but Pardew before him as well.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 30 Jan 2009 13:00

The only thing I feel is worth adding to these many debates about the same two players is that
(1)Harper's organisational skills will be missed especially by Cisse for whom Harper covers a lot
(2)Fans will see that other players can actually take effective corners and free-kicks and any replacement winger will probably be quicker than Hunt and delivery of a moving ball can hardly be any worse.

I also feel that Hunt's so-called defensive capabilities won't be missed and are much over-rated as he never blocks a cross from the full-back of the opposition and IMHO nearly always gives him time and space to cross a ball.That's why he was Calamity Jane when he did play at full-back earlier in the season.
You might gather that I feel we will miss Harper more than Hunt and the worst thing in my view would be Harper leaving and Hunt staying.Even devout Hunt fans have acknowledged that apart from the Watford game he has been very poor for the past two months and if Bobby had been anywhere near the player of 3 years ago Hunt would surely have been dropped.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 30 Jan 2009 13:01

Whilst Harper has been a loyal servant etcetera, I will gladly see him replaced a more attacking midfielder* that actually gives us options. Whilst he's served us well, I couldn't hand on heart say that I'd miss him. Yes, he's probably under-rated in what he contributes to the team, but he doesn't go forward as well as he did, he certainly isn't as solid in the tackle a protector of the back four would be...so what does he give us apart from being a part of the most successful team we've ever had? It's just experience we'll miss. Nothing you could pin down as being match saving or match winning, therefore he's replaceable, especially with the money quoted. And we all know how Reading fans don't like anything to change.

*not necessarily Matejovsky, as much as he's a lovely creator, you need steel at this level.

P.S. Hunt - just go, go now whilst you have a modicum of respect left.

Rusty royal

by Rusty royal » 30 Jan 2009 13:02

I think that we will see a change in tactics from Sir Steve, just lately teams have sussed us out (Harper is easy to run passed and Hunt can be marked out of the game) Fresh blood and a change in formation will see us run rings around teams from now on :wink:

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 30 Jan 2009 13:03

Royal Rother Bored of all the speculation now.

With.

Official.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Jan 2009 13:06

Whilst I would agree that his role within the team goes largely unnoticed by too many, he's had a number of poor patches in his time here when he's been dire but kept his place.

I wouldn't bank on the defence pining for him if he's replaced by someone who is equally energetic but also has the abilty to put in a decent tackle.

I hope he remembers to keep those arms down when he's boarding the plane to 'boro :mrgreen:

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 30 Jan 2009 13:07

All this talk of able replacements is just fine and dandy...but with the window closing on Sunday night...it doesn't give us much time and any potential club we would look to purchase from will see how desperate we are and no doubt add a few £££££'s onto the price we pay....

Also, realistically are there any replacements anyone can think of who fit the mould and are within the price range and the right sort of player etc....

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 30 Jan 2009 13:09

Turns8 All this talk of able replacements is just fine and dandy...but with the window closing on Sunday night...it doesn't give us much time and any potential club we would look to purchase from will see how desperate we are and no doubt add a few £££££'s onto the price we pay....

Also, realistically are there any replacements anyone can think of who fit the mould and are within the price range and the right sort of player etc....

Jay Tabb? Dan Harding?

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 30 Jan 2009 13:09

Rather them both stays forget the money we dont need it!

Hunt 16 assits is it

and Harper means so much to us even though people say he does nothing!

We really dont need anyone going at this stage in the season do we. We wont use the money we should still have the Shorey, Sonko and Kitson money

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 30 Jan 2009 13:09

Archie's penalty
Turns8 All this talk of able replacements is just fine and dandy...but with the window closing on Sunday night...it doesn't give us much time and any potential club we would look to purchase from will see how desperate we are and no doubt add a few £££££'s onto the price we pay....

Jay Tabb? Dan Harding?

Centre Mid!!!! jog on :roll:

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 30 Jan 2009 13:09

Given that we've just signed a left sided player (Dan, Dan Dan Dan, Dan Dan Dan, Dan Harding ... ) and a central midfielder, it suggests that the replacements are already in place.

So, no complaints, especially if we let Karacan have another run in the side.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 30 Jan 2009 13:12

papereyes Given that we've just signed a left sided player (Dan, Dan Dan Dan, Dan Dan Dan, Dan Harding ... ) and a central midfielder, it suggests that the replacements are already in place.

Harding, predominantly a LB!
Tabb played on Left side of midfield for the ressies...hmmm...not so sure they are replacements or merely adding to the squad...

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 30 Jan 2009 13:13

papereyes Given that we've just signed a left sided player (Dan, Dan Dan Dan, Dan Dan Dan, Dan Harding ... ) and a central midfielder, it suggests that the replacements are already in place.

Turns8 what Paps said.

Tabb can play central midfield and we have Karacan.
Last edited by Archie's penalty on 30 Jan 2009 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

170 posts