Was this the best game ever?

North Somerset Royal

Re: Was this the best game ever?

by North Somerset Royal » 10 Feb 2009 17:08

The best game ever was on 22nd April 1970 when we beat Southport at Elm park 8-0. Gordon Cumming got a hat trick, Dick Habbin and Les Chappell 2 apiece and Bobby Williams scored the other. It was the first game that I took my wife to (then my fiance) but I still enjoyed it!

The Portsmouth game was awful. No alcohol in the ground meant I had to head for a pub immediately afterwards to get over the shock and Pompey fans were unbearable. They even insisted on having my away ticket as a souveneir. Altogether a day to forget.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 10 Feb 2009 17:20

Dirk Gently The 3-2 at home vs Palace 3 years ago was the best.game.ever.

It really did have everything - end to end throughout, never sure wh woudl win, and it was decided in the end by a stunning goal.

Lita's equaliser over head kick > Sonko's bullet header I'm afraid

zummerset

by zummerset » 10 Feb 2009 17:27

It certainly wasn't watching fat boy Parkin nearly put us away on Saturday. What a lumbering oaf.. oddly I enjoyed the game but mostly coz it was me birthday

Aubery Boyce
Hob Nob Regular

by Aubery Boyce » 10 Feb 2009 17:34

Ark Royal Tranmere 1 Reading 3 in '95

we were absolutley superb that day. one of my very best memories of watching Reading

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Feb 2009 17:35

papereyes
Archie's penalty
Ark Royal Reading 4 Plymouth 3 in '85
Tranmere 1 Reading 3 in '95

The second one you mention was indeed amazing. Great one touch footie from us and we hit Tranmere on the break for fun. Anyone got a link for the goals of that there match?

I think I have it on video, if you want to watch that.

If only a video-player I did have.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 10 Feb 2009 17:45

The 3-2 vs Plymouth again 93/94 was a belter. When Quinn scored the 89th min winner i ran on the pitch from the Southbank with my drainpipe jeans, para boots, leather jacket, and Napalm Death t shirt on and bundled the players, all in front of my mum :oops:

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 10 Feb 2009 18:03

Shocking, shocking, shocking defending.
Hahnemann, Rosenior, Shorey, Ingi and *Sonko must have nightmares about that day. That was awful.
Harper, what a goal. If only you could do that this season...

Kamara is such a mug.
I can't stand watching/listening to him.

And Reading 3 -1 Liverpool. I miss Convey. :cry:

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 10 Feb 2009 18:37

Reading v Bolton on a Elm Park friday night in 1996 ( I think) 2-1

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 10 Feb 2009 19:10

NR_Royal I'm pretty sure you all remember the 7-4 defeat to Portsmouth in the Premier League :lol: . I just decided to watch this video of the goals and Chris Kamara going mental, and all I can say is this video brought a huge smile to my face despite us losing :shock: . This was indeed an epic game, and I think you should watch this back and just smile. :P Our defenders were terrible and Hahnemann was just :shock: .

Enjoy,

http://www.livevideo.com/video/collingw ... a-pre.aspx

no, boxheads 1 - engerland 5 surely

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Feb 2009 19:13

ankeny Reading v Bolton on a Elm Park friday night in 1996 ( I think) 2-1

That was 95. I wasn't there but followed it closely on the radio as is the want of a fervent 14 year old.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 10 Feb 2009 19:52

The Plymouth game was amazing plus that first Wolves game when Mark McGhee returned and Archie Lovell got those two very late goals

SeniorRoyal

by SeniorRoyal » 10 Feb 2009 20:27

Plymouth 4-3 game was dire for first 65 mins,last 25 mins in the words of Chris Kamara,'unbelievable'.Never felt so good after a game on the drive home.Kevin Bremner became a Reading hero that game.

SeniorRoyal

by SeniorRoyal » 10 Feb 2009 20:29

5-0 game against Tranmere not bad, with that Robin Friday goal.Night games always had so much atmosphere at Elm Park.

West Sussex Royal

by West Sussex Royal » 10 Feb 2009 20:45

Think I agree about the Tranmere play-off game being the best particularly given the importance of it.

They won 20-odd home games that season as well.

Problem was in the home leg they kicked us off the park and several players carried injuries into the final which told late in the game.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 10 Feb 2009 20:52

West Sussex Royal Think I agree about the Tranmere play-off game being the best particularly given the importance of it.

Problem was in the home leg they kicked us off the park and several players carried injuries into the final which told late in the game.

Agreed. I spoke to Shaka Hislop at a Berks v W Indies cricket match that summer and he said that three or four Reading players including himself had to have pain-killing injections at Wembley. The others were Oz, Andy Bernal and Dariusz IIRC. Even so, that ranks as the best away performance from a Reading side that I have ever seen.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Feb 2009 21:03

Ark Royal
West Sussex Royal Think I agree about the Tranmere play-off game being the best particularly given the importance of it.

Agreed. I spoke to Shaka Hislop at a Berks v W Indies cricket match that summer and he said that three or four Reading players including himself had to have pain-killing injections at Wembley. The others were Oz, Andy Bernal and Dariusz IIRC. Even so, that ranks as the best away performance from a Reading side that I have ever seen.

Didn't Adie Williams play with a broken toe ? Keith McPherson was also injured IIRC

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 10 Feb 2009 21:12

Sun Tzu
Ark Royal

Didn't Adie Williams play with a broken toe ? Keith McPherson was also injured IIRC

You could well be right. Extra time killed us that day.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 10 Feb 2009 21:21

I dont think Pompey v Reading was that good. It was a bit comical at times and shocking defending all round.
My favourite Reading game for sheer excitement and atmosphere was the Simod semi final against Coventry. Maybe not the best game ever in terms of skill etc but for me as a Reading fan it was the best. Elm Park at its best.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 10 Feb 2009 21:32

Reading 4-3 Oxford, absolutely drenched, sitting, and mostly standing, in row B in the East Stand, the game turned around by Rougier's best performance for us.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Feb 2009 21:46

I remember seeing us on the tv and you were having the biggest tug ever on a fag with about 5 minutes to go (Tranmere).

Baz, have to agree with those two. The most amazing of comebacks coupled with the most complete performance. And Tranmere did the double over us that season.

As for the Pompey 7-4 nonsense, I didn't go. Got married that day and the wife would have killed me!