Back from the game - Argyle

122 posts
Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game - Argyle

by Southbank Old Boy » 09 Mar 2009 08:14

Snowball
Southbank Old Boy Snowball, do the club stats show the number of good chances that Kebe had where he didnt actually get a shot off?

Nope, but presumably the write-ups would say so.

And how many times does SHunt get crowded out, or Doyle run down a blind-alley, or (they say) Shane mis-control and lose the ball?

I think thats a pretty wild presumption, and I think what I was getting at is that you have slagged off IR's point by saying its not what the stats show but your stats are inconclusive because they dont show everything. Hunt may well have missed more opportunities to shoot, although personally from watching the games I would say he was less wasteful than Kebe

Your second line is exactly my point, the stats just dont cover enough of what goes on to be conclusive

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 09 Mar 2009 09:03

This was probably one of the most entertaining games I have seen this season and we deserved three points, but a point against a vastly improving Plymouth team and coming back twice from conceding goals was a good achievement. I won't criticise the Mad Stad pitch again after the state of Satuirday's pitch. I thought Marek and Long had by far and their best games for Reading reflected by Marek being selected in at least one Sunday newspaper's team of the week. There was nothing anyone could do about Plymouth's second goal--it was a peach of a goal and looks even better on TV.

The midfield created quite a few good chances and kebe controlled the ball really well before taking his goal with some skill. I hope he keeps his place for the Charlton game and is not replaced by an unfit Glen Little.

Overall a good performance and 4 points from two away ganes against teams in a bit of form is pretty good in my view. Its a must that we win our next two home games. Finally it was good to see Bikey out on the pitch again. Pearce was having a storming game before the unfortunate clash of heads.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 09 Mar 2009 09:17

Yes, thoroughly enjoyable game with great input fron Number 13, and second only to Bristol C when it comes to away games in my opinion, and we could have won by a similar margin given a touch more luck. Defence was solid...ish. Anyone else worried by Doobs' increased tendency to lose players at critical moments? Gallagher's goal being an example. Midfield was also good - although, just as at Brum, Cisse was on top of his game except for one crucial moment which led to their second goal. A pity. I'm a Marek fan and so can't be unbiased about him, but one again I thought he looked a class apart. Him and Blakey on the same pitch...I've got wood just thinking about it. Long was a revelation, like he'd taken on some of Doyler's DNA. Still fouls too much, though. Despite the goal, Kebe was still very up and down, really lacking in confidence. I hope Blakey's arrival brings out a renewed determination in him rather than make his footballing self-esteem sink even lower. A real gamble by the boss to brign Little in. Still, two good away performances in a row and we desperately need to take that form into this week's matches.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 09 Mar 2009 10:39

Tilehurst Mike There was nothing anyone could do about Plymouth's second goal--it was a peach of a goal and looks even better on TV.

Sorry to be a pedant but I think closing him down would've helped. (I do take your point about the quality of the strike though).

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 09 Mar 2009 10:46

Irvinchangeyaname
Tilehurst Mike There was nothing anyone could do about Plymouth's second goal--it was a peach of a goal and looks even better on TV.

Sorry to be a pedant but I think closing him down would've helped. (I do take your point about the quality of the strike though).

Cynnical foul?

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 09 Mar 2009 10:49

royalexile
Irvinchangeyaname

Cynnical foul?

Or that :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Mar 2009 12:21

Southbank Old Boy
Snowball
Southbank Old Boy Snowball, do the club stats show the number of good chances that Kebe had where he didnt actually get a shot off?

And how many times does SHunt get crowded out, or Doyle run down a blind-alley, or (they say) Shane mis-control and lose the ball?

I think thats a pretty wild presumption, and I think what I was getting at is that you have slagged off IR's point by saying its not what the stats show but your stats are inconclusive because they dont show everything. Hunt may well have missed more opportunities to shoot, although personally from watching the games I would say he was less wasteful than Kebe

Your second line is exactly my point, the stats just dont cover enough of what goes on to be conclusive

Thanks SOB, maybe coming from someone other than me it won't cause a knee-jerk patronising response to argue.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 09 Mar 2009 13:20

Ian Royal
Southbank Old Boy
Snowball

Thanks SOB, maybe coming from someone other than me it won't cause a knee-jerk patronising response to argue.

You are a very, very stupid man. I am a genius, because I post statistics...

:lol:

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 09 Mar 2009 14:25

T-Rex

by T-Rex » 09 Mar 2009 16:16

Mackie's goal is the best strike any of you will ever see, ever.

Reading fans will be talking about it for years to come.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Mar 2009 16:17

T-Rex Mackie's goal is the best strike any of you will ever see, ever.

Everyone knows that that accolade belongs to Glenn Little's goal against you lot in 05/06. Now hush.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Mar 2009 16:19

LOLz that's really sweet

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Mar 2009 16:34

48 hours on and you seem to be the only one mentioning it ! He did hit it quite well.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 Mar 2009 16:49

s.hunt has to be dropped for charlton!

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 09 Mar 2009 17:43

Remind me, how many points did you take off us this season?

By the way, the referee seemed to like you lot very much. I wonder what sort of bribe you offered him, maybe your arse?

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 09 Mar 2009 18:13

T-Rex was so excited by the outcome of the game he pulled his housemate that very night.

gn1982

by gn1982 » 09 Mar 2009 18:45

royalexile I sat in my allocated seat in the first half and then moved for the second into a more lively atmosphere at the top of the stand. It was heartening to shut the Argles supporters and their bragging rights in the first half. Henry's goal coming in a few minutes after the opener from Argyle. Despite the opening goal i thought we looked the stronger team and it was good to see the team didn't drop.
The second half was a bit of a blur really. Some of that for necking beer down my throat. I thought in the second half we pushed with a little more urgency until that Mackie goal. What a screamer of a goal that was. Once again he opened up our midfield and took the goal in his stride. The speed and the pace left Fedders exposed with sod all chance of stopping that one.
I thought Long did really well all game. Fighting for the ball and feeding it down the left channel. Good to see him fighting for a start.
Doobs over ran a ball at one point which could have badly exposed the goal, only good fortune stayed with us there.
The fun at the back of the stand was marred by pathetic stewarding. The guys at the back were doing nothing in particular other than one individual banging on the cladding at the back of the stand. The whole row was then asked to vacate the row (the excuse being it hadn't been sold!!), so all the support were told to leave. Fair enough at that point though the excuses by the Stewards were lame to say the least. Then two Safety Stewards arrived and walked down the row and started to manhandle one individual. One safety steward (2) was dealing with the issue fine, the other i caught swinging a punch at the young supporter. Out of order. I spoke to this steward who had the individual forcibly in an arm lock and informed him about proportionate levels of force.
No one on the back row was damaging property belonging to the club. I spoke to Steward 2 after five minutes and he agreed that if a punch was thrown i could put a compliant into PAFC. He informed me it was on CCTV so i'm thinking seriously about pushing this.

And i missed Kebe's goal :roll: Good to (not) see him score that goal after all the waiting.

Could have sworn it was Pearce who scored for us. Henry did however score for Millwall!

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 09 Mar 2009 19:03

I see your Jamie Mackie and I raise you a Marek Matejovsky at Anfield last season.

Tell me T-Rex, how many players have played in an Argyle shirt in England's top division?

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 09 Mar 2009 19:21

Winchester Royal T-Rex was so excited by the outcome of the game he pulled his housemate that very night.

his sister wont be happy :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Mar 2009 00:18

FInally watched the highlights.

Don't think Pearce was fouled. Seen them given, but if it was roles reversed I'd have been fuming it was given as a foul. I've seen a few signs that Pearce is knocked off the ball to easily recently. But yes, that was poor marking from Duberry. Seemed to be marking space not a man.

I'd say they were equally culpable. There do seem to be some errors entering into Doobs game, but I'd rather have him next to Bikey than Pearce. That combination is just too raw for my liking.

I don't think you can blame the defence for the second goal. He was miles out when he shot and had Doobs stepped up and challenged him he could easily have gone round him if Doobs got it wrong and had a clear run at goal. It also would have left a big gap to slot a ball through to the other Plymouth player. IMO right action taken, it just went wrong. Hard to blame midfield, but that's where we lost the ball iirc and Cisse couldn't catch the guy to put pressure on him. Just one of those goals.

Cracking goal from Kebe and looked like he caused quite a few problems, hopefully it will give him the confidence to move on from here. Matejovsky was playing some tasty passes. Doyle was unlucky not to have a couple.

122 posts