Massive size of Coppells Cock Up

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Alivey

Massive size of Coppells Cock Up

by Alivey » 15 Mar 2009 21:10

Now that we had some time to go through the rounds of dispair, agony and acceptance of the recent results, are people realising how big of a mistake it would be to get rid of Coppell? Ok he has shown he has some weaknesses, but we could see that from his first season! No manager is perfect and I would rather have Coppell's inperfections than some of the far worse managers out there. The question is, if people really want Cops to go, is his replacement really going to be an improvement?

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Massive size of Coppells Cock Up

by The 17 Bus » 15 Mar 2009 21:15

I also dispair.

zummerset

by zummerset » 15 Mar 2009 21:18

no but Steve seems to be repeating last seasons mistakes or doesn't know or has run out of ideas for change. If a replacement is worse so be it but we seem to be doing a groundhog day latter end of the season. I would rather SC had a road to Damascus moment and saved the day but I fear his passion is gone and he and RFC would be better moving on?

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 15 Mar 2009 21:32

It could be worse. It could be better.

The chances are, Coppell will leave whether we go up or stay down in the summer anyway.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 15 Mar 2009 21:37

Have to agree with that Zummer, ther are so many similarities to last season, players performing awfully, but still being selected, obvious failings in the side yet we totally ignore the window, with the exception of Tabb, also the Ipswich reserve who the hell is Harding ? has he done anything here yet ? All in all we are going nowhere.......quickly. There is no doubt that SSC has taken this club through it's greatest ever period, I in all honesty believe that it is time for a change, new ideas, new systems we need this as we are becoming easy to play against, easy to break down and clueless when it comes to adapting to visiting teams and how they play. I have the great fear though that if he does go, then the present coaching duo will be put in charge, and we will do again as we have over the past couple years take the cheap and easy option, I for one think that JM really does not want to go back to the Premiership the cost, for him is overwhelming, and he is not fancying financing the it. This may be the perils of not having a "football man" as our owner, he has achieved what he said he would and got us into the Premiership............although he never said he would keep us there.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 15 Mar 2009 21:48

The thread title took some tuning but it does work on the discussions page...

:lol:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Mar 2009 21:51

Alivey Now that we had some time to go through the rounds of dispair, agony and acceptance of the recent results, are people realising how big of a mistake it would be to get rid of Coppell? Ok he has shown he has some weaknesses, but we could see that from his first season! No manager is perfect and I would rather have Coppell's inperfections than some of the far worse managers out there. The question is, if people really want Cops to go, is his replacement really going to be an improvement?

I trust Madejski to bring the right man in, so yes.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 15 Mar 2009 21:52

You can't say everyone hasn't been given a chance? Doyle, Long, Lita, N Hunt Kitson have all been given a chance over the last few weeks? And all have fired blanks. Every midfield combination seems to fail whilst Doobs has had a bad run of form at the wrong time.
Ivar was a big lose, but ultimatly the players need to take a long hard look at themselves. They are being very well paid for very poor performances and that's not all down to the manager.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 15 Mar 2009 22:02

Steve Coppell will leave in the summer, that's nailed on. He only signed a one year extension to his contract and he wont fancy another 46 match grind like this season again. He needs a break - he said so himself last season.

So who will take over? Kevin Dillon. He's been first team coach for a long time and turned down once before for the Managers job, so if he doesn't get a crack this time he'll be gone as well.

Personally I'd rather have someone like Dillon who has an affinity for the club than a new manager who's not used to the Reading way. And Dillon must have learned a lot under Pardew and Coppell. He probably has his own ideas and I think its fair that he gets a chance to test them.

Alivey

by Alivey » 15 Mar 2009 23:27

That is a very persuasive argument for Kevin Dillon, since he took over briefly after Pardew left, it must be that he is fancied to be the best to manage the club.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 16 Mar 2009 07:15

Please describe the 'Reading Way'. I don't know what that means. If you mean playing football on the floor, I think we lost the Reading Way quite some time ago.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 16 Mar 2009 07:46

Jackson Corner You can't say everyone hasn't been given a chance? Doyle, Long, Lita, N Hunt Kitson have all been given a chance over the last few weeks?

Can I just point out that of that whole list, it has been Long who has stepped up and impressed the most.
Earlier in the season, it was all about Doyle and N Hunt, and now, in our time of need, Shane Long comes out and gives a few of his best performances to date.
Alex Pearce has also been solid and reliable for the majority of the time.
Youthful exuberance could well help us, but I don't see Coppell bringing Karacan into midfield anytime soon.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 16 Mar 2009 13:34

Agent Balti Please describe the 'Reading Way'. I don't know what that means. If you mean playing football on the floor, I think we lost the Reading Way quite some time ago.

I think that style of football is part of what I am alluding to, but it's also a wider thing about the way the club has been built up brick by brick, with prudent housekeeping and good management.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 16 Mar 2009 13:51

Muskrat Steve Coppell will leave in the summer, that's nailed on. He only signed a one year extension to his contract and he wont fancy another 46 match grind like this season again. He needs a break - he said so himself last season.

So who will take over? Kevin Dillon. He's been first team coach for a long time and turned down once before for the Managers job, so if he doesn't get a crack this time he'll be gone as well.

Personally I'd rather have someone like Dillon who has an affinity for the club than a new manager who's not used to the Reading way. And Dillon must have learned a lot under Pardew and Coppell. He probably has his own ideas and I think its fair that he gets a chance to test them.

Think Brendan Rodgers would know the "Reading Way" and would do a far better job than Dillon - but the question is whether the "Reading Way" is now broken and we need to start again?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Mar 2009 13:53

The "Reading Way" is on the cheap. End of.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Mar 2009 13:55

Alivey Now that we had some time to go through the rounds of dispair, agony and acceptance of the recent results, are people realising how big of a mistake it would be to get rid of Coppell?

No, and if he opts for early retirement he won't need an agent any more so you might be better off seeking out some new clients rather than posting @rse crawling nonsense on here.

Ozymandias
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ozymandias » 16 Mar 2009 15:28

Steady on there WR, It's not like Alivey was part of the car park brigade or anything.

oh.

17 posts   •   Page 1 of 1