Clutching at straws but . . . .

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Clutching at straws but . . . .

by rhroyal » 14 Apr 2009 22:36

I have to admit......reading that I think we'll finish 2nd IF we win all our remaining games. That doesn't mean I think we'll finish 2nd, but it's more likely than I thought it was immediately after the Blackpool game.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 14 Apr 2009 22:40

Snowball
Arch but if you come away from every game let down and disappointed again, being in contention ceases to matter much.

EVERY game?

This year

I wasn't disappointed when we won 4-0 v Watford (but Lita's goal cost me £1,300)

I most definitely wasn't disappointed when we beat Wolves 1-0

The 0-0 at QPR was drab but I was pleased with the point

I wasn't particularly down when we drew 0-0 at home to Preston

Being in Sheffield for the 2-1 win was GREAT!, not at all disappointing

The 2-2 draw at Plymouth wasn't disappointing, and KEBE scored!

The 2-2 home draw with Charlton was only a bit disappointing. We played well-enough and the odd oops equaliser happens!

How can we be disappointed winning 1-0 away at Doncaster?

The 0-0 at Palace was a bit disappointing, but a point away when you finish with ten men has to be a positive

The 0-0 at Coventry, now that was just empty of life and I felt deflated

Only the result disappointed v Sheffield. I enjoyed the game, some great tackles, Matty on fire for an hour, and we were unlucky

Blackpool was only disappointing because we blew it, but a 2-2 draw away at any club would normally be seen as a solid result.

Just confirmed you know FA about football and are totally and completely a RTG.

bassett royal

by bassett royal » 14 Apr 2009 22:47

last time we won 4 in a row

6 Dec Barnsley A Championship 1-0 11,938 3 Gunnarsson
9 Dec Blackpool H Championship 1-0 16,514 3 Ingimarsson
13 Dec Norwich H Championship 2-0 19,382 3 S.Hunt, Long
20 Dec Birmingham A Championship 3-1 19,695 2 N.Hunt, Doyle, Cisse

and the next 4 games

18 Apr Barnsley H Championship
21 Apr Derby County A Championship
27 Apr Norwich A Championship
3 May Birmingham H Championship

Derby/Blackpool - pretty similar

So it is clearly fate that we will win the next 4

Believe

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Apr 2009 23:13

yet we just failed to beat Blackpool. Great one there.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Apr 2009 23:16

Terminal Boardom
Snowball
Arch but if you come away from every game let down and disappointed again, being in contention ceases to matter much.

EVERY game?

This year

I wasn't disappointed when we won 4-0 v Watford (but Lita's goal cost me £1,300)

The 2-2 home draw with Charlton was only a bit disappointing. We played well-enough and the odd oops equaliser happens!

The 0-0 at Palace was a bit disappointing, but a point away when you finish with ten men has to be a positive

Only the result disappointed v Sheffield. I enjoyed the game, some great tackles, Matty on fire for an hour, and we were unlucky

Blackpool was only disappointing because we blew it, but a 2-2 draw away at any club would normally be seen as a solid result.

Forest?
Bristol City?
Ipswich?
And how can you say drawing 2-2 at home to the team adrift at the bottom was "only a bit disappointing"?

This season has been so uninspiring, with the occasional highlight, that I would have had more fun watching the dust gather around my navel

Of course those defeats were painful and disappointing but I was answering the word EVERY

as for the Charlton game, it was fine, I was happy, then we dropped a clanger... the dropped points hurt, but OVERALL it was an OK game

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Apr 2009 23:19

Northern Git
Snowball

EVERY game?

This year

Just confirmed you know FA about football and are totally and completely a RTG.

What the FOCK are you talking about, dummy?

Just because I'm not a moronic knee-jerker and can actually COUNT?

We will qualify for the play-offs, at least. That is a more than decent season. THEN we'll see.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Apr 2009 23:21

Ian Royal
PEARCEY The seasons far from over. Everyone keeps banging on about not wanting to play Cardiff in the play-offs as if they were Brazil...
The play-offs(if we make them and we should)will be a clean slate.
There is no reason why we cant win through provided the players are up for it which frankly is the least we should expect.
Automatic promotion has been well and truely screwed up but the season remains very much alive.
Promotion is still there for the taking.
The way most are talking on here it would seem like we have just been relegated.
Like it or not this season is still one of the most successful this club has ever had. It could still be memorable for the right reasons.
No point in giving up when there is still a chance.

Generally you need decent form and confidence to win the play offs. Not come into them on the back of 3 wins in 15 matches. That's what our current form is, and I don't see much sign of it getting significantly better.

I'd be delighted if it did. But we should all accept we have no chance. Doesn't stop us backing the team at games and giving it our all as supporters. If by some astounding miracle we did manage it the surprise would be all the sweeter.

all we need is one win in three games to make the prem

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 Apr 2009 08:42

Terminal Boardom
Snowball

EVERY game?

This year

Forest?
Bristol City?
Ipswich?
And how can you say drawing 2-2 at home to the team adrift at the bottom was "only a bit disappointing"?

This season has been so uninspiring, with the occasional highlight, that I would have had more fun watching the dust gather around my navel

I'm surprised Snowball didn't mention Bristol City as he spent all week telling us they wouldn't and almost couldn't beat Reading.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 15 Apr 2009 08:49

yappy Well obviously I hope we win all our games too :roll:

At the moment I couldn't really care less about what the teams above us are doing. Until we start performing and picking up points, it doesn't matter what the other teams are doing.

This has been the case all season - it's been down to us all along which is why so many of us, including SC, feel so let down at the moment. We know the other teams will drop at least 2 points, so the boys can still pull it out of the bag. I doubt they have the mental strength to do so, though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2009 08:50

Whilst it's still possible, I'd actually almost rather Sheff Utd take points off Swansea, as it'll guarantee us a place in the play-offs and keep them out.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Apr 2009 12:06

Snowball
Ian Royal
PEARCEY The seasons far from over. Everyone keeps banging on about not wanting to play Cardiff in the play-offs as if they were Brazil...
The play-offs(if we make them and we should)will be a clean slate.
There is no reason why we cant win through provided the players are up for it which frankly is the least we should expect.
Automatic promotion has been well and truely screwed up but the season remains very much alive.
Promotion is still there for the taking.
The way most are talking on here it would seem like we have just been relegated.
Like it or not this season is still one of the most successful this club has ever had. It could still be memorable for the right reasons.
No point in giving up when there is still a chance.

Generally you need decent form and confidence to win the play offs. Not come into them on the back of 3 wins in 15 matches. That's what our current form is, and I don't see much sign of it getting significantly better.

I'd be delighted if it did. But we should all accept we have no chance. Doesn't stop us backing the team at games and giving it our all as supporters. If by some astounding miracle we did manage it the surprise would be all the sweeter.

all we need is one win in three games to make the prem

And outside the world of theoretical possibilities and back into the world of real life, we'll need to have a pretty impressive turn around in form, or get unbelievably lucky. Neither very likely.

Seriously you'll finish the season much happier if you just recognise our season was effectively over from, at the latest, Good Friday.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 15 Apr 2009 13:06

Our season isn't "over" FFS; in fact, it is just about to begin.

The last 4 games are all about trying to get into some sort of form leading into the play-offs; Monday was a start as we scored goals. If we continue scoring goals we will have a chance in the play-offs.

I don't give a toss who we end up playing in the play-offs (though i would prefer not to have those obnoxious Cardiff Neanderthals back here again tbh) as I think ON OUR DAY we can beat anyone in this Division (we have done the double over the Champions-elect for example).

If you are scared of failure, then don't go to the games as we have to realise that we have nothing to lose.

Bring it on!!!

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 15 Apr 2009 13:07

riverroyal Clutching at straws I know, but, and a big but, we could still get second spot if we win all our remaining games and . . . .

....and that's where I gave up on your post.

Sir Rodney Effing

by Sir Rodney Effing » 15 Apr 2009 13:11

Mr Angry Our season isn't "over" FFS; in fact, it is just about to begin.

The last 4 games are all about trying to get into some sort of form leading into the play-offs; Monday was a start as we scored goals. If we continue scoring goals we will have a chance in the play-offs.

I don't give a toss who we end up playing in the play-offs (though i would prefer not to have those obnoxious Cardiff Neanderthals back here again tbh) as I think ON OUR DAY we can beat anyone in this Division (we have done the double over the Champions-elect for example).

If you are scared of failure, then don't go to the games as we have to realise that we have nothing to lose.

Bring it on!!!

You said you're Mr Angry! You're sounding far too optimistic and bouyant. Sod off! :)

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 15 Apr 2009 13:36

Perhaps Mr. Angry is expressing disgust at some of the negative and defeatist rubbish which is expounded.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Apr 2009 15:41

Alan Partridge
I'm surprised Snowball didn't mention Bristol City as he spent all week telling us they wouldn't and almost couldn't beat Reading.

I said that Bristol City had an ABYSMAL record and had not beaten a top ten side. I also said, when they were fourth, that they'd be outside the play-offs and finish around 9-10-11th

With three games to go in the season the current-highest placed team they have beaten (other than us) is Palace in THIRTEENTH but they have three chances left to improve on that, against 6th, 7th and twelfth. They are going to finish 9th or 10th or 11th.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Apr 2009 15:45

Stranded Whilst it's still possible, I'd actually almost rather Sheff Utd take points off Swansea, as it'll guarantee us a place in the play-offs and keep them out.

IF we miss second, I'd be happy to play Sheffield, because they will have started to lose form, they are very beatable. We beat them comfortably enough up there, they have a BAD record at home against the top six sides and we deserved at least a draw down here.

If Birmingham fail to make the auto place, they will be PETRIFIED and likely have low morale, I don't mind playing them either

Cardiff and Burnley play better football and are more of a worry, IMO

If we can't get second, I'd like Cardiff to make it and then get Burnley at Wembley

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Apr 2009 15:48

Doesn't anyone think we are turning the corner?

The first 60 minutes v Sheffield was excellent, which was why I thought
we'd whup Blackpool. That started like we would win it 4-0 and at least it showed
we can play and Noel Hunt is raring to go

We should pair Doyle and Hunt versus Barnsley, win that and watch the other teams wobble

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 15 Apr 2009 16:11

Snowball Doesn't anyone think we are turning the corner?

I think it looks like we might be edging towards slightly better form. I daren't go any further than that until we actually pick up a couple of wins.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Apr 2009 16:23

We were good enough to win at Birmingham but we lost Noel Hunt in that game.

How many starts has he had in the bad run?

He came on at Coventry and we came alive

He scored one, could've had two at Blackpool

He could be the catalyst, scoring up front, making goals fro Doyle (the best pairing, surely?) and raising spirits.

First he scores while we beat Barnsley, securing (first-step) our play-off position.

Then pressure (sort-of) off we can play with more freedom (and sparkle?) at Derby. IF we can win there, suddenly there's a chance...