A bet for tonight?

RFCUK

A bet for tonight?

by RFCUK » 27 Apr 2009 08:29

I'm down to my last tenna with nothing else to buy this week and I'm not planning on going out. I'm thinking a bet may be in order in an attempt to add life into a currently dull existance.

I've only ever placed one, and that was when we played Chelsea and a Betfred Lady came round the box to collect pennies and sheets. Didn't win but it made it more interesting.

What sites are recommended with the best odds and selection of bets available, and like do any of them have 'Deposit £x into your account and we'll give you an extra £xxxxx'

And another thing that might help, what the hell does 7/4 mean if I place a tenna down?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: A bet for tonight?

by Schards#2 » 27 Apr 2009 08:50

You would get a total of £27.50 back.

Betfair give the best odds but you need to open an account so, if it's a one off, go to http://www.oddschecker.com to see which high street bookie offers the best odds on whatever you want to punt on.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 27 Apr 2009 08:52

RFCUK I'm down to my last tenna with nothing else to buy this week and I'm not planning on going out. I'm thinking a bet may be in order in an attempt to add life into a currently dull existance.

I've only ever placed one, and that was when we played Chelsea and a Betfred Lady came round the box to collect pennies and sheets. Didn't win but it made it more interesting.

What sites are recommended with the best odds and selection of bets available, and like do any of them have 'Deposit £x into your account and we'll give you an extra £xxxxx'

And another thing that might help, what the hell does 7/4 mean if I place a tenna down?

I signed up for PaddyPower.com. There is a minimum deposit/withdrawal of £10, but i find them quite good. 7/4 would basically mean for every £4 you bet, you get £7 back

RFCUK

by RFCUK » 27 Apr 2009 09:07

Oh... I see. So it's:

You get this many back / For every one of these you put down.

Lovely stuff. Now to find something tastey to bet on.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 27 Apr 2009 09:15

Having just looked at the odds, i'm struggling to see why Norwich are favourites.

Reading's recent away form is pretty solid with only one defeat in 14 and only two conceded in the last five games. Most of our problems have been with teams that sit back and who we are incapable of breaking down. Norwich can't do that as they need a win.

Their most prolific striker recently is Mooney who won't be playing.

H/T Reading, F/T Reading at 4.2/1 looks the bet.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 27 Apr 2009 09:22

Schards#2 Having just looked at the odds, i'm struggling to see why Norwich are favourites.

Reading's recent away form is pretty solid with only one defeat in 14 and only two conceded in the last five games. Most of our problems have been with teams that sit back and who we are incapable of breaking down. Norwich can't do that as they need a win.

Where did you see that Narch are favs?

Ladbrokes make them 9/5 with Reading 7/5 and the draw 12/5.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 27 Apr 2009 09:23

londinium
Schards#2 Having just looked at the odds, i'm struggling to see why Norwich are favourites.

Where did you see that Narch are favs?

Ladbrokes make them 9/5 with Reading 7/5 and the draw 12/5.

Betfair

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 27 Apr 2009 09:23

RFCUK Oh... I see. So it's:

For every £4 bet you WIN £7, not get back. A £4 bet would get back £11 should you win.

I take it you'll be backing Norwich?

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 27 Apr 2009 09:30

I'm going to lay Norwich. I agree with Schards analysis.

To the opening poster - google "free bets" you'll find a load of offers for news accounts, I think betfair currently offer a £25 free bet for new accounts.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 27 Apr 2009 09:36

bobbybottler I'm going to lay Norwich. I agree with Schards analysis.

To the opening poster - google "free bets" you'll find a load of offers for news accounts, I think betfair currently offer a £25 free bet for new accounts.

Though free bets are only 'matched bets' - you need to stake a tenner to get a tenner free. Also do you get the stake back on a winning free bet or just the winnings?

To the OP - have a look at a few sites and play with their betslips before you deposit any stake. They all work a little differently.

I really don't like betfair's site and because I'm normally just a penny punter I don't need to chase the best odds. I went for Blue Square.

Reading HT/FT is 16/5 on BlueSq. They have Norwich 17/10 against 8/5 Reading, 23/10 the draw.
Last edited by TFF on 27 Apr 2009 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

RFCUK

by RFCUK » 27 Apr 2009 09:39

Tony Le Mesmer
RFCUK Oh... I see. So it's:

For every £4 bet you WIN £7, not get back. A £4 bet would get back £11 should you win.

I take it you'll be backing Norwich?

No not at all, just using the first non something/1 figure I found.

So, if I put down £10 at 7/4, that would mean i would win £17.50 plus my original £10 back..?

I'm debating a HT - Draw / FT - Reading

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 27 Apr 2009 09:45

Take a look at the inveterate gamblers thread too viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64727&start=1960&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 27 Apr 2009 09:48

That Friday Feeling Though free bets are only 'matched bets' - you need to stake a tenner to get a tenner free.

Not all free bets are matched bets.Some of these offers are actually for free bets.

That Friday Feeling Also do you get the stake back on a winning free bet or just the winnings?

Typically just the winnings. It's very seldom that you get the stake back as well, it does sometimes happen though. Corals seem to be particularly thick in this respect.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 27 Apr 2009 09:53

I too think Reading are a solid (ish) bet.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 27 Apr 2009 10:07

I'll be backing Norwich and the draw.

fireman_jules

by fireman_jules » 27 Apr 2009 10:14

This game has got 1 1 written all over it with reading taking the lead

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 27 Apr 2009 10:20

fireman_jules This game has got 1 1 written all over it with reading taking the lead

The draw is zero use to Reading and not much use to Norwich.

If it's level with 5 minutes to go, i'd be looking to lay the draw in play, as both sides push for a winner.

I'm assuming the players will actually be up for this and not as indifferent as those "cup finals" at Coventry and Palace.

fireman_jules

by fireman_jules » 27 Apr 2009 10:25

Will be 1 nil to reading earlyish , Nrwich pushing all game and getting a late equalizer. Yes i know its zero use to both of us , thats why it will happen

Schards#2
fireman_jules This game has got 1 1 written all over it with reading taking the lead

The draw is zero use to Reading and not much use to Norwich.

If it's level with 5 minutes to go, i'd be looking to lay the draw in play, as both sides push for a winner.

I'm assuming the players will actually be up for this and not as indifferent as those "cup finals" at Coventry and Palace.

RFCUK

by RFCUK » 27 Apr 2009 10:32

11/2 - HT Draw - FT Reading

£10 down, so am I correct in thinking I will receive £55 plus my original £10 bet if it goes my way?

Bill Oddie
Location: By the bamboo bush in the central reservation on the M4

by Bill Oddie » 27 Apr 2009 10:42

Save it for the weekend and lump all you can on Sheff Utd away to Palace, in my madness i'm going to stick £500 on it. Last year I did the same with a nice double of Reading to win at Derby and Fulham to win at Portsmouth. Should always bet from the head and not the heart. Last years bet softened the blow of relegation somewhat, especially when I was lying on the beach in Cancun, although would have course swapped in all for staying up.