Midfield options

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

Re: QUESTION IS....

by Handsome Man » 24 Apr 2009 22:02

I'm pleased with what I have seen of Karacan and Tabb: both have played effectively and with energy. However the play-offs are probably a time for picking yourn best players and Harper is definitely one of them.

Marek must never be picked for Reading again. He is the worst player I have seen play for the club since the Tommy Burns days. I don't know how it would be possible to pass as badly as him.

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 28 Apr 2009 21:02

Sarah Star Murty was a winger?!?! :shock:

Yes. And a winger worth paying nearly £3/4 million for according to Tommy Burns.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Apr 2009 23:10

Chuckle Brother

Yes. And a winger worth paying nearly £3/4 million for according to Tommy Burns.

Didn't he do exceptionally well for York(?) in the season befor ehe joined us? Lots of assists and a few goals?

Wasn't the reason he got converted to full back, because he spent about a season out injured (one leg longer than the other and back problems?) and we had got another winger in by then...?

beno

Re: Midfield options

by beno » 28 Apr 2009 23:41

its true.. murty was a winger in 1997........

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Apr 2009 00:00

Scored against Oxford and Brentford the season before joining us.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 29 Apr 2009 00:00

beno its true.. murty was a winger in 1997........

Well, he was, but not because Champo says so. He was right-sided, not left :roll:

Also, Dribbing 18? Pace 16? :lol:

beno

by beno » 29 Apr 2009 00:06

injury proness only 6? hehe

beno

by beno » 29 Apr 2009 00:08

how i would like to see this man in our midfield again...

Candu

by Candu » 29 Apr 2009 01:51

I watched Monday's game on the internet. Reading lack two true box-to-box midfielders. Moreover, with the softening of the offside rules the defensive line has to be deep and leaves too much space of the centre-mids to cover effectively in modern football playing 4-4-2. My other club Toronto FC just switched from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 with amazing improvement. If Reading play Tabb and Karacen as holders/ratters with Kebe, Marek, Little/SHunt/Doyle/Long as attacking midfielders with Kitson as a back-to-goal target striker I think that on be an awesome team that would build from the back and stop being so annoyingly hoofy.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 29 Apr 2009 01:59

Candu I watched Monday's game on the internet. Reading lack two true box-to-box midfielders. Moreover, with the softening of the offside rules the defensive line has to be deep and leaves too much space of the centre-mids to cover effectively in modern football playing 4-4-2. My other club Toronto FC just switched from 4-4-2 to 4-2-3-1 with amazing improvement. If Reading play Tabb and Karacen as holders/ratters with Kebe, Marek, Little/SHunt/Doyle/Long as attacking midfielders with Kitson as a back-to-goal target striker I think that on be an awesome team that would build from the back and stop being so annoyingly hoofy.

as a fellow wum i applaud this effort

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 29 Apr 2009 04:30

Scored for York against Everton in the League cup..

pretty sure he was used on the wing during that time

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 29 Apr 2009 08:50

Typical Tommy Burns signing: bought for a huge fee as an injured winger.
Eventually found a place in the team as a full back.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Apr 2009 12:06

Handsome Man Typical Tommy Burns signing: bought for a huge fee as an injured winger.
Eventually found a place in the team as a full back.

To be fair to Burns he played him at right back quite a bit, with Gurney infront of him on the wing so he obviously saw him as a defender at the time.

statto

by statto » 29 Apr 2009 12:17

"However the play-offs are probably a time for picking yourn best players and Harper is definitely one of them.

Marek must never be picked for Reading again. He is the worst player I have seen play for the club since the Tommy Burns days. I don't know how it would be possible to pass as badly as him."

What a strange post, Harper's done nothing all year and Matejovksy is quite clearly not a bad passer, quite the opposite.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 29 Apr 2009 13:45

Ian Royal
Chuckle Brother

Didn't he do exceptionally well for York(?) in the season befor ehe joined us? Lots of assists and a few goals?

Wasn't the reason he got converted to full back, because he spent about a season out injured (one leg longer than the other and back problems?) and we had got another winger in by then...?

I was surprised because I imagine wingers to be quite pacey and Murty doesn't look that sort...but I suppose you don't have to be - like Little - and he was younger then.

Interesting. Thanks everyone.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Apr 2009 14:07

Murty certainly wasn't slow back then.

He's lost a bit of pace over the years though, but when he gets going he can still keep up with most.

marekisgod

by marekisgod » 29 Apr 2009 20:01

Handsome Man I'm pleased with what I have seen of Karacan and Tabb: both have played effectively and with energy. However the play-offs are probably a time for picking yourn best players and Harper is definitely one of them.

Marek must never be picked for Reading again. He is the worst player I have seen play for the club since the Tommy Burns days. I don't know how it would be possible to pass as badly as him.

Are you taking lots of drugs , worse player you've ever seen play for the club .
On monday night did we not score both our goals after Marek came on and did he not start the move for the first goal by collecting ball in midfield after it had been played to him around his ears bring it down and then knock a very simple 5 yard ball along the floor to start the move .

Marek should start every game for me the most attacking midfiled player we have ever had FACT! :mrgreen:

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 29 Apr 2009 20:49

LoyalRoyalFan To be honest with you. It is a weak centre midfield partnership. Jay Tabb is a winger by trade,really.

Totally disagree - Tabb's been excellent in Centre Mid. He must play there if he's fit.