What's the point in Reading FC getting promoted ?

150 posts
Son of Len

Re: What's the point in Reading FC getting promoted ?

by Son of Len » 30 Apr 2009 00:37

I CBA to read all 6 pages so far, and it's BS that TMD refuses to allow counter questions.

But WTF, here are my 2 pence.

Players:
The reason for promotion is to prove to others in the industry that they are among the best in the business. The reason to do something is to excel at it, whether "it" is medicine, architecture or something as silly as football.

Club:
Money.

Fans:
To live vicariously through our team. We have all played football, most of us never getting beyond a recreational league. It's a fun diversion and great to see the players you support excel (see "Players" above).

USA fans:
So we can see the Royals on Fox Soccer Network again.

Actually, there is no reason to do anything unless I can be the best at what I do. I think I'll kill myself now, because there is no point in continuing to consume oxygen.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 Apr 2009 01:56

To be promoted twice to the top flight is something Swindon and Oxford have never done, so gives us bragging rights. Mind you they have both won the league cup which still rankles with me.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 30 Apr 2009 09:02

There's a point in getting promoted, but no real point in that its the Premiership.

We've all known that the Premiership is rubbish, because it is structured such that success breeds success . The outcome of the premiership will be very similar for a number of years to come, and with that predictability, it sucks ambition out of clubs to the point when they believe coming 17th is a worthwhile goal. Only for a small handful is there any real point in the premiership and I dont buy that the UEFA cup is a carrot, because there is only one thing worse than the Premiership, and that is the UEFA cup.

But how Reading will do in the premiership misses the point, because the point is that football throws up all sorts of emotional experiences from the most unlikely of places, especially when promotion is in the mixture. Take Tuesday night. 11 men paid by Reading FC beat 11 men paid by Norwich FC, which caused jubilation in the town (and I hear a few late night trips to the AD) for the simple reason that it took Reading one step closer to an unlikely promotion. Dissect that and it seems dumb, but if you dont want promotion, you could have spent the night watching a DVD and meekly going to bed. If we win on Sunday and Sheffield United dont, then there will be another. Two spontaneous evenings of merriment in one week - Im beginning to the think the point of Reading FC getting promoted is becoming obvious. It simply makes people happy.

Ironically, I dont share enthusiasm for the Premiership as others do, but that doesnt mean I dont want us to go up this year. Maybe we can get quickly relegated, so we can have a promotion party in 2012. Im just as happy with a win against Southampton (I wish!) than a win against Liverpool.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 30 Apr 2009 09:15

TheMaraudingDog Realistically, you'll only get relegated again and if not in the first season, then definitely in the next couple. You won't see anything you haven't seen already. You won't achieve anything better than you achieved before. You're just waiting to get relegated and hopefully then go back up again ?

One of your finest efforts so far TMD

LOL @ the people on this thread

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 30 Apr 2009 09:30

TheMaraudingDog
CMRoyal
Season ticket price renewals were frozen. So no inflation for the loyal supporter, at least not for home matches.

RPI has fallen, so a freeze in season ticket prices is effectively a price rise.

Even more so if we foolishly get promoted as there will be less games

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 30 Apr 2009 09:44

Silver Fox
TheMaraudingDog
CMRoyal
Season ticket price renewals were frozen. So no inflation for the loyal supporter, at least not for home matches.

RPI has fallen, so a freeze in season ticket prices is effectively a price rise.

Even more so if we foolishly get promoted as there will be less games

Fewer.

But wouldn't you expect to pay more per game for a higher standard of football?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 30 Apr 2009 09:51

it's BS that TMD refuses to allow counter questions.

the dastardly swine!

bishbosh92

by bishbosh92 » 30 Apr 2009 09:59

TheMaraudingDog
Harry Carry I have to agree with TMD here. There is no real point.

Surely Reading are better off in league one. Better to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big one gettin beaten every week. They should cap clubs to which league they can play in. For Reading they should be capped at Championship level.

I'm trying to ask a constructive question no matter how people interpret it, please don't hijack my thread with this bullshit.

the reason were Hijacking your thread its coz its shit, and your trying to make out that 75% of english clubs shouldnt bother even palying becoz there all yoyo teams.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 30 Apr 2009 10:17

He's got a point, what is the point in being in The Premiership ? Its a totally unlevel playing field, the outcome is predictable and for most you cant win.

Most teams spend all the extra revenue on the players in a vain attemot to stay there. Relegation is inevitable at some point for a majority of the teams which is why we have so many Norwich's, Southamptons, etc. There's no point in all that extra revenue if you are only going to use it to stuff the player's pockets with sole short term aim of staying put, pending relegation.

Domestic competition has been ruined by the Chumps League. That wont change until the European League is formed, or the prize money is spread evenly over all European Competitions. The sooner the better.

So in short, there is not much point. Yo Yoing beats being Bolton though.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 30 Apr 2009 13:04

If nothing else, one season of prem money, two seasons parachute payments.

Could be worse, as I sat on the Manchester train to Milton Keynes yesterday surrounded by day-tripping, mega-store going, Man utd stakeholders from London & the home counties I got some idea of the cost of perpetual success.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 30 Apr 2009 13:14

The journey can still be great even if the actual destination is a crock of shit.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 30 Apr 2009 13:17

Jackson Corner To be promoted twice to the top flight is something Swindon and Oxford have never done, so gives us bragging rights. Mind you they have both won the league cup which still rankles with me.

Probably the worst srgument on this thread.

I'm gonna spend hundreds of pounds this year on watching a team just so we can do something that Oxford and Swindon have never done, so we can brag to them, even though a) they don't give a shit about Reading, and b), you dont know any Ox or Sw fans :lol:

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 30 Apr 2009 13:18

Huntley & Palmer
TheMaraudingDog Realistically, you'll only get relegated again and if not in the first season, then definitely in the next couple. You won't see anything you haven't seen already. You won't achieve anything better than you achieved before. You're just waiting to get relegated and hopefully then go back up again ?

One of your finest efforts so far TMD

LOL @ the people on this thread

Dunno if you're being sarcastic, but what i said is true.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 30 Apr 2009 13:19

Son of Len I CBA to read all 6 pages so far, and it's BS that TMD refuses to allow counter questions.

Counter questions don't answer the initial question.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 30 Apr 2009 13:20

Once were Biscuitmen If nothing else, one season of prem money, two seasons parachute payments.

Could be worse, as I sat on the Manchester train to Milton Keynes yesterday surrounded by day-tripping, mega-store going, Man utd stakeholders from London & the home counties I got some idea of the cost of perpetual success.

And what are you gonna get from those parachute payments ?

Flawed argument.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 30 Apr 2009 13:22

rhroyal
TheMaraudingDog Interpret it as a fishing attempt, but try to give me a genuine valid reason and you'll struggle old chap.

1) To watch us play against some of the best sides in the world. Even when we went down last season beating Liverpool was unforgettable and there was always a buzz I got watching us play against the better teams. Not just the big 4, Villa, Everton and Spurs too.

2) Then there's seeing better players actually in Reading shirts.

3) Then there's the money. Even if we do come back down we'll be in the position for a promotion race, we won't turn into Coventry or Crystal Palace.

4) Also it's easier to follow what's going on with all the Sky coverage and MOTD as opposed to the ITV rubbish.

You were fishing and you know it. Anyhow, are they valid reasons?

But you've seen them against best sides in world before. It gets boring after a while, the novelty wears off.

Money, don't give me that argument again. What do you get from the money ? Nout.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 30 Apr 2009 13:22

Vision The journey can still be great even if the actual destination is a crock of shit.

+1.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 30 Apr 2009 13:24

RobRoyal
Then you're just starting on the road to understanding being a football fan. Congrats.

Don't patronise me newbie.

156 consecutive games. 8)

RFC achieved the goal, there's nothing left to hang around for. TMD got out at the right time whilst you lot throw dosh down the drain. 8)

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 30 Apr 2009 13:26

TheMaraudingDog 156 consecutive games. 8)

handbags harris (247) > TMD (156).

FACT.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 30 Apr 2009 13:35

TheMaraudingDog
RobRoyal
Then you're just starting on the road to understanding being a football fan. Congrats.

Don't patronise me newbie.

156 consecutive games. 8)

RFC achieved the goal, there's nothing left to hang around for. TMD got out at the right time whilst you lot throw dosh down the drain. 8)

Sounds like it was you who threw money away. If your love was based solely on achieving "the goal", you must have spent an awful lot of money on being disappointed. For those of us who just love following our team, it's worth every penny, always has benn always will - that's why we do it.

PS you're right you were being patronised there, but there aren't many more condescending things than telling people how they should be spending their own money, which is effectively what this thread is all about.

150 posts