Burnley - strengths and weaknesses

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Burnley - strengths and weaknesses

by RobRoyal » 04 May 2009 20:01

Snowball Graham Alexander is rated the best defender in the league, 7th best player in the league

That's a classic bit of OPTA-boll*cks. Where would he be if he didn't take penalties? Does the difference in quality between him and, say, Robbie Blake at taking penalties justify his placement as the best defender in the league?

braindead

by braindead » 05 May 2009 10:49

Thought I would comment - incidentally Alexander has played as a holding midfielder all season.

Strengths - going forward, we have players with the ability to take opponents on Eagles, Blake, Wade Elliot etc & we also have plenty of goal threats (Aside from Paterson's 18 goals we have Eagles - 9, Alexander 10, Thompson 10, McCann 8, Blake 9 etc, so it's not a case of stop one man and you stop Burnley). Also a strength is how we have performed in the one-off cup games this season, knocking out Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, WBA & almost Spurs out of the cups this season.

Weaknesses - silly mistakes leading to goals, although touch wood we seem to have erradicated those recently (We haven't conceded a home goal in our last four games).

I think they will be good games, and on current form we should win, but as we all know form goes out of the window once the match kicks off

Good luck

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 05 May 2009 11:05

Correct me if I'm wrong braindead, but another strength is that you're pretty tough when it comes to a battle. Eagles might look a bit of a fairy, but the team generally knows how to deploy the physical side if they have to. This could be decisive at the Mad Stad.

I see Burnley as a pretty archetypal Championship team - they've got a mix of decent players who didn't quite make the top and therefore have something to prove, some old lags with plenty of experience, a smattering of potential coming through, and a desire to play decent football if and when they can. But like most teams at this level they are brittle at the back and tend to fall back on unpretty hoofball when things aren't going their way (although not as much as most teams in the division). It should be very close, and tense rather than exciting.

The Cube

by The Cube » 05 May 2009 11:12

Agree about Jensen - I was surprised he didn't make the PFA team of the year. Eagles has the talent but can switch off, although the chances are he won't do so in these games given the importance. And a mention for Wade Elliott - because of his Bournemouth background he absolutely despises Reading. You might remember he made some very stupid comments in the 2005/06 season.

In our home League game, they kicked us all over the place and were allowed to do so by a weak referee. That could be an important aspect of the second leg this time as it's obviously a key part of their strategy. And of course the manager knows all about cheating after climbing all over Andy Bernal to get the first Bolton goal in the 1995 final....

braindead

by braindead » 05 May 2009 11:18

CMRoyal Correct me if I'm wrong braindead, but another strength is that you're pretty tough when it comes to a battle. Eagles might look a bit of a fairy, but the team generally knows how to deploy the physical side if they have to. This could be decisive at the Mad Stad.

I see Burnley as a pretty archetypal Championship team - they've got a mix of decent players who didn't quite make the top and therefore have something to prove, some old lags with plenty of experience, a smattering of potential coming through, and a desire to play decent football if and when they can. But like most teams at this level they are brittle at the back and tend to fall back on unpretty hoofball when things aren't going their way (although not as much as most teams in the division). It should be very close, and tense rather than exciting.

It's a fair point, and in this league you have to be able to stand up and be counted during the physical side of the game, and yes we have had our disciplinary issues this year, but we haven't had a red card for quite a while now (That I can recall).
As for the hoofball comment - yes it's true at times our defenders have an annoying tendancy to put their laces through the ball in times of trouble, however with 3 foot 2 Paterson up top on his own then we seem to have realised that we are more productive when we give the ball to Eagles, Blake, McCann etc and try and pass through opponents.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 05 May 2009 13:37

On there day the best passing team in this division. Play a high tempo get the ball down and pass Blake, Elliot, Eagles, Patterson, Jenson and Alexander could play in the Prem.

Only slight weakness is in defence, have seen concede soft goals from set pieces and the two full backs like to push up so can be cought out of position on ocasions.

Can we beat them? Yes

Will we? NO

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 05 May 2009 18:59

As usual HNA hyping up a very average team within a weak league. We are far far superior to them and have shown that twice this season.

If the players even give 50% then roll on Wembley.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 05 May 2009 19:07

moo As usual HNA hyping up a very average team within a weak league. We are far far superior to them and have shown that twice this season.

Sadly that was when we were good form, we have been a shadow that recently so our only hope is that we can win the game away.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 05 May 2009 19:13

moo As usual HNA hyping up a very average team within a weak league. We are far far superior to them and have shown that twice this season.

What were we Sunday? 10%

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 05 May 2009 19:19

There isn;t a huge amount of difference between the teams on current form so not sure how Braindead uses that to make them favourites.

People think we are in poor form ( and in many ways we are) but we've lost 2 of the last 9 games and being hard to beat will be a major asset in the playoffs. Burnley are hardly on a 10 game winning streak - it's a two horse race !

towserSL2crew

by towserSL2crew » 05 May 2009 19:29

Up there in the league we should have ,and with a bit luck could have won 7v1 but we lost 1v0 instead. Their keeper had a blinder and we just couldnt score so if we only score 6 of the chances we missed then we should be looking ok for the 2nd leg.......Dream on & keep the faith lads:wink:

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 05 May 2009 19:49

Our underperforming has NOTHING to do with Burnleys strength and weaknesses, the point I was making is that Burnley are far from the amazing team being generally discussed above. Maybe I shouldn't have brought our games vs them into this... Once again, they are a average side in a weak league.

For every above average player they have for this level, they have a poor one in another position.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 May 2009 20:13

Their experience of big games this season is a strength.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 May 2009 20:28

Burnley's biggest strength is that they are playing Reading in the play-offs.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 May 2009 20:42

As Alan Partridge knows I wanted Reading to sign Elliott 5 years ago but he was snapped up by Burnley and along with Eagles and Blake he plays the pass and move game that we rarely see from Reading.
Occasionally you can see that Kitson and Marek are on the same wavelength as shown in our goal on Saturday but unfortunately nobody else seems to be on Marek's wavelength.
One major weakness for Burnley I believe is the 2nd choice left-back and if Kebe is on song there is a chance down that flank but who knows which Kebe will turn up?
One poster made the point earlier that we have played well against Burnley but this just isn't the team of those games and anybody who saw our cracking win away at Birmingham would not believe the turnaround on Sunday.

In open play we can cope with anything in the air from Burnley but as they don't play the long-ball stuff hat we do then that doesn't help too much.
The more I think about the two games I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

braindead

by braindead » 06 May 2009 09:38

I wouls have to disagree with the second choice left back statement - Christian Kalvenes has been excellent and has kept Stephen Jordan out of the side for us this year.

As for the average side in a weak league comment - possibly, or a really good side in a strong league, dependant on your point of view. Also if you think you only have to play at 50% to beat us, then you are in for a shock my friend.

I personally think we are favourites because of our recent form - two defeats in 17 games, 12 points taken from the other play-off sides this year, not conceded a home goal since March, we are scoring plenty of goals - spread throughout the team & because of the fact that you cannot buy a win at home and are low on confidence, and (If this messageboard is anything to go by) the fans are on the team's back -then that makes us slight favourites. In my opinion of course

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 06 May 2009 09:48

Roseniors ditribution has been shakey but his pace means no wingers skin him on the regular in this division

forget about eagles making him look a mug

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 May 2009 09:56

braindead I wouls have to disagree with the second choice left back statement - Christian Kalvenes has been excellent and has kept Stephen Jordan out of the side for us this year.

As for the average side in a weak league comment - possibly, or a really good side in a strong league, dependant on your point of view. Also if you think you only have to play at 50% to beat us, then you are in for a shock my friend.

I personally think we are favourites because of our recent form - two defeats in 17 games, 12 points taken from the other play-off sides this year, not conceded a home goal since March, we are scoring plenty of goals - spread throughout the team & because of the fact that you cannot buy a win at home and are low on confidence, and (If this messageboard is anything to go by) the fans are on the team's back -then that makes us slight favourites. In my opinion of course

dont think you'll find that many on here that disagree with most of that mate

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 06 May 2009 13:30

I think it will be an easy victory for us over the two legs!

We won't be on the players backs...

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 May 2009 13:43

braindead Thought I would comment - incidentally Alexander has played as a holding midfielder all season.

Strengths - going forward, we have players with the ability to take opponents on Eagles, Blake, Wade Elliot etc & we also have plenty of goal threats (Aside from Paterson's 18 goals we have Eagles - 9, Alexander 10, Thompson 10, McCann 8, Blake 9 etc, so it's not a case of stop one man and you stop Burnley). Also a strength is how we have performed in the one-off cup games this season, knocking out Arsenal, Chelsea, Fulham, WBA & almost Spurs out of the cups this season.

Weaknesses - silly mistakes leading to goals, although touch wood we seem to have erradicated those recently (We haven't conceded a home goal in our last four games).

I think they will be good games, and on current form we should win, but as we all know form goes out of the window once the match kicks off

Good luck

Interesting, especially given how weak our midfield is. I think this is where the tie will be won, or lost in our case.