Refs for the play offs

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Refs for the play offs

by BR2 » 06 May 2009 12:26

The Real Sandhurst Royal Why can't we have the top championship referees for both games.. Howard Webb's performance at the weekend was poor.

Are there any?

26-10-06

by 26-10-06 » 06 May 2009 12:52

MOGGY Wasn't it Mike Riley's backside that gifted Norwich a late winner against us at home a few seasons ago - late in the season when we were chasing promotion?

No, Neale Barry I Think?

marettes

by marettes » 06 May 2009 12:52

Ah yes, that infamous backside intervention. Moggy, I think you'll find that was Neale Barry 12 Apr 04.

Arthur Pint
Location: Round and round the garden like a teddy bear, one step, two step and....

by Arthur Pint » 06 May 2009 13:01

One complaint I did have about Howard Webb (and in fact many officials) is towards the end we loop a long ball into the box for Bikey to try and win both Jaidi and Bikey have hold of each others shirts and the free kick goes against us, how does the official decide who was fouling who? It makes no sense, if it's tit for tat so to speak then surely he should just let play continue?

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 06 May 2009 13:36

I thought on Sunday Webb gave all the decisions Birmingham's way and was poor. However later on in the evening when I'd taken my blue and white glasses off and saw the highlights he wasn't bad at all. Phillip's goal was onside, contrary to what I believed when it went in. Jaidi and Traore were booked and I think it would have been harsh to send one of them off, neither were particularly dirty. He gave the benefit of the doubt to defenders contesting for headers most of the game - every ref does. Maybe Maik Taylor deserved a booking for his time wasting though. And Webb did get hit by the ball once and it fell to a Brum player. Shouldn't happen with a top ref, they should be able to read the game enough not to be caught in the wrong place. Aside from those 2 criticisms, no real problems.

MOGGY

by MOGGY » 06 May 2009 15:00

26-10-06
MOGGY Wasn't it Mike Riley's backside that gifted Norwich a late winner against us at home a few seasons ago - late in the season when we were chasing promotion?

No, Neale Barry I Think?

oops. :oops:
[gets coat, shuffles towards door]

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 06 May 2009 15:09

Funny that, because I too was convinced that it was Mike Riley. Do we have evidence?

MOGGY

by MOGGY » 06 May 2009 15:43

West Stand Man Funny that, because I too was convinced that it was Mike Riley. Do we have evidence?

Match report on OS has it as Barry. Incident was reported as "headed away by Gordon but hit ref Barry on the edge of the box..." -funny because I could have sworn Barry was facing the other way :wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 May 2009 19:36

handbags_harris
Thaumagurist* Oh no, not Mike Riley.

Howard Webb was shit, he failed to punish Birmingham's no 34 (Traore?) for barging into the back of Doyle (yes, he did give a free kick, but no yellow card?).

But by that token he did punish Traore then. He felt a free kick was worthy punishment. Correct IMO...

Apart from the fact that this was just one of very many fouls that he committed throughout the game. At the time I think he had already received a yellow and perhaps therefore should have received a second.

rhroyal I thought on Sunday Webb gave all the decisions Birmingham's way and was poor. However later on in the evening when I'd taken my blue and white glasses off and saw the highlights he wasn't bad at all. Phillip's goal was onside, contrary to what I believed when it went in. Jaidi and Traore were booked and I think it would have been harsh to send one of them off, neither were particularly dirty. He gave the benefit of the doubt to defenders contesting for headers most of the game - every ref does. Maybe Maik Taylor deserved a booking for his time wasting though. And Webb did get hit by the ball once and it fell to a Brum player. Shouldn't happen with a top ref, they should be able to read the game enough not to be caught in the wrong place. Aside from those 2 criticisms, no real problems.

What was your view on Phillips' aerial assault on SHunt?

gazzer, loyal royal got in the way of Tabb for the first goal. Tabb saw the danger, went to close down Fahey and Webb blocked him off

I forgot that one, yes his awareness and positioning was pretty crap on several occasions. Would expect better from a supposedly top ref.

But Riley?!! :shock:

Had I known, I'm not sure I would have bothered buying a ticket!

Wasn't Riley the barsteward who robbed us in a critical match at Colchester a while back?

Tango Horribly

by Tango Horribly » 08 May 2009 07:36

Riley. This is terrible news. Pernickety old woman.

I don't think I've ever watched a game refereed by him when I haven't come away thinking that he is truly dreadful.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 11 May 2009 14:22

I hope Riley has a good game!!!! :roll:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 13 May 2009 17:29

Point proven methinks.