89 Points?

415 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: 89 Points?

by Snowball » 08 May 2009 10:59

Snowball
So analysing, qualitatively and statistically I think we are still a top side likely to win the Championship
playing at home to a side which at best will finish 9th (I think 10th-11th) and are crap away against decent sides

If I was a bookie I wouldn't offer more than 1/2 for a Reading win, 5/2 draw. I would want 8/1 for a Bristol win.

But MY GUT FEELING? I'm "worried sick" that we'll blow our chance to get within a point of Wolves,
that Bristol will steal a 1-0 and we'll drop into the play-offs, or "if we're lucky" we'll have another
goal-less draw. But that's just built-in pessimism. There's no common-sense to it.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 May 2009 11:01

Snowball

The stat was true up to us blowing it.

Reading, Birmingham, Cardiff, Swansea, and probably Preston, Wolves, Sheff Utd and Burnley will finish above Bristol

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 May 2009 11:03

Snowball I see Bristol have maintained their crap record against the top ten

Why did they have to beat US as the exception?

And I predicted they'd drop away and finish out of the play-offs and 9th or worst. Where are they now?

We basically have to win our home games now, including Birmingham W6-D7-L5 18-18; and Sheffield Utd W8-D7-L4 25-16 two TOUGHIES

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 08 May 2009 11:06

Why are you quoting yourself? Like pretty much every other fan on these boards, you've got as much wrong as you have right. What's this current ego trip about?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 May 2009 11:08

Ian Royal [

So what? They (Bristol) beat us and are chasing a play off spot. They're a decent side just lacking that little extra quality to really compete fully at the top that's all.

Said when Bristol were fourth (February 21st) and I predicted them finishing 9th or worse"

Well, they only missed the play-offs by FIFTEEN points, Ian

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 May 2009 11:11

Snowball

But they (Bristol) won't make the play-offs, is my point. We got beaten because we played badly, not because they were good.

Remember I predicted 9-11th AT THE END OF THE SEASON, when they were sitting in fourth with about a dozen games to go. It takes time to drop down the rankings

Wolves, Birmingham, Reading, Cardiff, Sheffield United, Swansea/Burnley/Preston would be my six, but Swansea may be dropping back into too-may-draws and Preston are wobbling. But it looks like Bristol's current 9th place is where they'll end up

Not "ego" BTW cmonurz... Just re-establishing what was said, when, by whom.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 08 May 2009 11:14

So, on a thread that you started where you stated:-

"There is no logical reason to think we won't average 2 points a game until the end of the season giving us 89 Points"

you're going to pull out all the bits you got right?

Are you not even remotely :oops: about this?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 08 May 2009 11:19

Snowball, you're an idiot.

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 08 May 2009 11:57

Yes he is an idiot, absolutely no common sense to back up his silly little statistics. And just goes to show what I said many months ago that football cannot be predicted or analysed by stats.

furthest flung fan

by furthest flung fan » 08 May 2009 12:51

This is now such a weird, factual thread about detail. The only thing that matters from here on in is passion and inspiration. Everyone playing out of their skins for a club that they love. 3 games. 270 minutes of guts and endeavour. Have these players got it to give? Who knows. Will we all be shrugging our shoulders about what might have been, or revelling in the glory of taking opportunity and driving home our self belief?

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 08 May 2009 13:03

roberto_11 Yes he is an idiot, absolutely no common sense to back up his silly little statistics. And just goes to show what I said many months ago that football cannot be predicted or analysed by stats.

:lol:

The only thing funnier than Snowball is the opposite camp saying stuff like this. You can't predict or analyse football by stats? Sh*te, you better let the entire betting industry know that, then. Oh hang on, they seem to be doing ok without you.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 08 May 2009 13:14

RobRoyal
roberto_11 Yes he is an idiot, absolutely no common sense to back up his silly little statistics. And just goes to show what I said many months ago that football cannot be predicted or analysed by stats.

The only thing funnier than Snowball is the opposite camp saying stuff like this. You can't predict or analyse football by stats? Sh*te, you better let the entire betting industry know that, then. Oh hang on, they seem to be doing ok without you.

So you are saying you can predict the outcome of a match just by statistics?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 May 2009 14:01

RobRoyal

You realise they aren't just runnging a book on just one match or one series of matches right?

The odds often come out in favour of the incorrect results but because they've narrowed down a probabilty across a number of different matches and sports they will make a profit most of the time.

Bookies often get the outcome wrong, the stats don't lead to a very reliable predictive model otherwise the punters would be able to predict the outcome just as well and screw the bookies over.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 May 2009 18:16

CMRoyal So, on a thread that you started where you stated:-

"There is no logical reason to think we won't average 2 points a game until the end of the season giving us 89 Points"
you're going to pull out all the bits you got right?
Are you not even remotely :oops: about this?

No, why should I be?

That was posted when we were playing well and accruing points, and
against plenty of top sides. We had less top sides to play.

And yes, we fell apart and failed badly, often against sides we should have hammered.

And just like most of this list, the players, the coaching
staff and the manager, precisely why is and was a mystery

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 May 2009 18:23

SLAMMED
RobRoyal

So you are saying you can predict the outcome of a match just by statistics?

SHOCK RESULTS are called shock because they are unexpected and fly in the face of statistics, expectation, logic.

Yes, of course they happen, but how many times is the Premiership's top-four Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal? And who were favourites to win the Premiership this year?

There's a predictive football web-site that claims a 90% success-rate.

Of course one result can go pear-shaped. When West Ham won 1-0 at Arsenal they had ONE chance and Arsenal missed something like 26

415 posts