Back from the game Burnley

North Somerset Royal

Re: Back from the game Burnley

by North Somerset Royal » 10 May 2009 22:18

Sorry but you have missed the point. Whilst it is true that there does not have to be a goal scoring opportunity or even the ball present for a foul to be given the fact that Long had no chance of reaching the ball is evidence that the referee should take into account in deciding whether it was a deliberate foul or accidental collision. Clearly it is unlikely that a defender would commit a deliberate foul in the area if there was nothing to be gained so in this case the referee rightly adjudged that it was accidental.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 10 May 2009 22:23

North Somerset Royal Sorry but you have missed the point. Whilst it is true that there does not have to be a goal scoring opportunity or even the ball present for a foul to be given the fact that Long had no chance of reaching the ball is evidence that the referee should take into account in deciding whether it was a deliberate foul or accidental collision. Clearly it is unlikely that a defender would commit a deliberate foul in the area if there was nothing to be gained so in this case the referee rightly adjudged that it was accidental.

Surely no-one is disputing that it was accidental - that's as clear as day.

But for many referees intent has long ago become irrelevant - qv Sonko at Villa, which was blatantly accidental, and also the number of handballs given when the ball hits the arm/hand and not the other way round.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 May 2009 22:29

I am sorry but even though we may of been the better team, i cant see us overturning this!!

if you cant even take 1 chance in a playoff semi then you aint going to get too far.

kebe's decision making was criminal as was Bikeys

I think with his and doyles absence we will suffer, kitson looked shit when he came on and bikey and pearce at the back will be too slow.

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG RFC

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 10 May 2009 22:38

loyalroyal4life I am sorry but even though we may of been the better team, i cant see us overturning this!!

if you cant even take 1 chance in a playoff semi then you aint going to get too far.

kebe's decision making was criminal as was Bikeys

I think with his and doyles absence we will suffer, kitson looked shit when he came on and bikey and pearce at the back will be too slow.

PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG RFC

Well pop Cisse at the back, he can be a mountain at the back and has slightly more pace, and definately better on the ball. Then why not give Mooney a chance??? Surely he will be chomping at the bit.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 10 May 2009 22:40

Pearce needs to start at the back IMO - Could be risky chucking him in at the deep end in such an important game but it'll be a great chance for him to prove his worth.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 10 May 2009 22:43

Dirk Gently
North Somerset Royal Sorry but you have missed the point. Whilst it is true that there does not have to be a goal scoring opportunity or even the ball present for a foul to be given the fact that Long had no chance of reaching the ball is evidence that the referee should take into account in deciding whether it was a deliberate foul or accidental collision. Clearly it is unlikely that a defender would commit a deliberate foul in the area if there was nothing to be gained so in this case the referee rightly adjudged that it was accidental.

Surely no-one is disputing that it was accidental - that's as clear as day.

But for many referees intent has long ago become irrelevant - qv Sonko at Villa, which was blatantly accidental, and also the number of handballs given when the ball hits the arm/hand and not the other way round.

The general rule of thumb that seems to be applied for the handballs is that if your arms/hands are not in a natural position by your sides then you are intending to use them to block the shot, so to say intent has gone from that instance is wrong. Refs might still make mistakes but the thinking is to still look at the intent

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 May 2009 10:25

thought we played ok offensively considering we were 1 up front
managed to create a few chances, thought their clearance off the line was over, and was cleared with what looked like a handball from twenty foot away
thought the long penalty was blatant, intent is irrelevant(and i think youd be naive to think there was none-as long would have been clean in)he clearly stopped the goalscoring chance.
their penalty was very very soft, went down spinning in the air after the merest of touches/shirt grabs-but thats to be expected, and when its possible it may be given-dont oxf*rd do it!!
and while i was incensed about bikey being sent off, if he stamped-he had to go and he was a dick.

that said, i really dont see us doing it on tuesday, itll be just like us to get an early goal, hold on, then let a stupid one in in the last minute-just to sum up the season

but if we did manage it, i would love it, just love it.......

marcus-6
rosenior-6
doobs-7
bikey-4
tabb-7
marek-7
brynn-7
kebe-5
doyle-7
long-7

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 May 2009 10:28

brendy denying the existence of Dan Harding yet again

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 May 2009 10:29

Maguire brendy denying the existence of Dan Harding yet again

LOL

:oops:

Dan Harding-7

pleasantly surprised yet again

braindead

by braindead » 11 May 2009 10:42

Morning all - got my tin hat on !

Firstly it was a poor game from us - we have played a lot better than that this year and lost. I feel that we were too negative and Chris Eagles was predictably poor (As he has been in most big games this season). We also definitely missed Wade Elliot.

It was a definite penalty and as for the stamp on Blake - no need. I actually thought Bikey was your best player until his five minutes of stupidity. You will surely miss him and Doyle tomorrow.

As for the Long penalty shout - come on! No way was that a penalty, even the most biased Reading fan should be able to see that - an accidental collision, no intent, ball nowhere near Long equals no penalty in my (And thankfully Martin Atkinson's) opinion.

On the plus side aside from the double save from Jensen and Paterson's header off the line I don't really recall you pressurising us that much, as for some of the 'All over them' comments then I think they are a little wide of the mark. I honestly don't think we can be that bad again twice, so think the penalty goal will prove vital.

Am going for a goalless draw or a 1 goal win for Burnley tomorrow, but what do I know?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 May 2009 10:46

braindead Morning all - got my tin hat on !

Firstly it was a poor game from us - we have played a lot better than that this year and lost. I feel that we were too negative and Chris Eagles was predictably poor (As he has been in most big games this season). We also definitely missed Wade Elliot.

It was a definite penalty and as for the stamp on Blake - no need. I actually thought Bikey was your best player until his five minutes of stupidity. You will surely miss him and Doyle tomorrow.

As for the Long penalty shout - come on! No way was that a penalty, even the most biased Reading fan should be able to see that - an accidental collision, no intent, ball nowhere near Long equals no penalty in my (And thankfully Martin Atkinson's) opinion.

On the plus side aside from the double save from Jensen and Paterson's header off the line I don't really recall you pressurising us that much, as for some of the 'All over them' comments then I think they are a little wide of the mark. I honestly don't think we can be that bad again twice, so think the penalty goal will prove vital.

Am going for a goalless draw or a 1 goal win for Burnley tomorrow, but what do I know?

piss off

:wink:

you were rubbish, we werent that much better though, but deserved the 0-0 in my opinion

bikey was a twat, fully deserved

but i really think it was a pen on long, i was stood 20 foot away behind the goal, and definitely thought long would have got that ball
and also thought it was a deliberate attempt to stop him getting there-the player looked, saw he would get past, and just flung himself in front of the kid..........but then i am a very biased reading fan :lol:

your penalty was soft, but giveabe, if it was in the box, and i have no idea if it was or not.

also, my biased eyes saw one of your clearances off the line as over the line, and a hand ball :lol:
Last edited by brendywendy on 11 May 2009 10:53, edited 1 time in total.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 May 2009 10:47

Actually agree with all of that, and it's not often I say that on here. Very fair and reasoned assessment.

Obviously I still think you're a pcunt though.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 11 May 2009 10:49

Maguire

Actually agree with all of that, and it's not often I say that on here. Very fair and reasoned assessment.

Obviously I still think you're a pcunt though.

A good assessment apart from the "definite penalty" comment. It was a definite FOUL but it was outside the area, just look at where his feet are where his shirt is pulled.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 11 May 2009 10:56

Agree with you about Wade Elliott-will he be fit for tomorrow?
Why do you think the Burnley passing game was so bad?
Was it just nerves and the occasion got to the players?

braindead

by braindead » 11 May 2009 11:15

BR2

Agree with you about Wade Elliott-will he be fit for tomorrow?
Why do you think the Burnley passing game was so bad?
Was it just nerves and the occasion got to the players?

Rumour has it that Elliot will be fit, but given the fact that he wasn't fit enough to take a place on the bench on Saturday, then I have my doubts. Eagles & Gudjonnson are also doubts for Burnley.

I think that we didn't have an outlet on the flanks because both sides were playing 4-5-1. Eagles was poor and Blake was wandering inside, so our usual policy of wingplay creating chances was nullified (Dare I say that was good management from Coppell?).
We tend to play better when teams attack us (ie away from home) as we are effective on the break - personally speaking I have an awful feeling that we haven't done enough, but as mentioned earlier we can't be that bad again!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 May 2009 11:27

(Dare I say that was good management from Coppell?).

how dare you come up with such nonsense on here :lol: