New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Stevie G

Re: I want Warnock!!!

by Stevie G » 13 May 2009 06:37

No thanks, more passion than shrewd wit and intelligence, hence puts his foot in it more often than needed.

Alan Curbishley for me, and for the doubters, I don't see him linked anywhere else of recent.

Bedale Royal

by Bedale Royal » 13 May 2009 06:49

God no! Warnock merely shouts and screams a lot then blames everybody else for the defeat.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by readingbedding » 13 May 2009 07:20

Kevin Dillon must be a strong candidate.
Who do I want?
God knows.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 May 2009 07:23

My choices in order are

Curbishley - but are we too small a club?
Brendan Rogers - a risk but he has great potential

Other than that you are really looking at potential young managers such as the one at Exeter or even Eamon Doyle.

I would not consider Booothroyd or Parkinson. The first plays rubbish football and Parkinson has not proved himself yet.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 13 May 2009 07:25

Denver Royal Bit confused here.

Such and such manager won't be a good fit cos he will want to spend and the money isn't there.

'We need somebody that is good on a shoestring'.

Yet Coppell was criticized for not spending the money...that supposedly was there?

Either the money is there or it isn't. :?

The deciding factors judging by the interview in BBCRB last night was the long term plans of SJM. It probably went along the road of no money available and SC wanting to rebuild the team. How SJM finances this club over the next couple of years if there is no buyer will be interesting indeed.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 May 2009 07:35

andrew1957 My choices in order are

Curbishley - but are we too small a club?
Brendan Rogers - a risk but he has great potential

Other than that you are really looking at potential young managers such as the one at Exeter or even Eamon Doyle.

I would not consider Booothroyd or Parkinson. The first plays rubbish football and Parkinson has not proved himself yet.

I forgot Martinez - I doubt he would come but he also would be a choice with lots of potential.

woodley_royal_124

by woodley_royal_124 » 13 May 2009 07:57

Jim Magilton ?

just a thought !

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 13 May 2009 08:01

So we want a strong manager with passion and drive, good with youngsters, ambitious... I would love Stuart Pearce to be given another shot at club management..

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 13 May 2009 08:04

exileinleeds So we want a strong manager with passion and drive, good with youngsters, ambitious... I would love Stuart Pearce to be given another shot at club management..

You've also described Aidy Boothroyd. Lolwut.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 13 May 2009 08:10

sawyers left arm Experience, passion and used to working with a small budget, he will get us back up for sure.

Yes please, but he hates Reading.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 13 May 2009 08:12

no to long ball merchants please. Boothroyd can do one

The ball would spend half the time in the stratosphere and we would play with a fat lump like Ian Marshall or Parkin up front.

Next

percy freeman fanclub

by percy freeman fanclub » 13 May 2009 08:12

It won't make any difference if Harry Rednapp was manager,if JM is still here we won't invest ,we won't have the desire,The man at the top doesn't want it;open your eyes the rot is at the top.

Woking Royal

by Woking Royal » 13 May 2009 08:13

sandman Owen Coyle.
Anyone that can get a team that bad to a play-off final has to be some sort of genius.

Thanks Sandman ........... raised an audible chuckle out of me as I sit here on a dreary depressing wet Wed am. :lol: And sooooo true.

Martinez please.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 13 May 2009 08:14

percy freeman fanclub It won't make any difference if Harry Rednapp was manager,if JM is still here we won't invest ,we won't have the desire,The man at the top doesn't want it;open your eyes the rot is at the top.

Don't let Ian Royal hear you say that. He is adamant the money is there for 'the right' players. £2m bids for Surman are on the cards he thinks. :shock:

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 13 May 2009 08:15

who ever it is , it's got to be sorted within the next month.. we need our new guy with the players and at the freindlies . it's good that coppell made a quick descision.
i want exeter guy or curbs

Alivey

by Alivey » 13 May 2009 08:17

You have to feel for Madejski. He had the chance numerous times to sell the club but he couldn't find that billionaire. :? His role more and more of late has reminded me of Simon Jordan, sick of owning a club but doesn't want it to fall into the wrong hands.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 13 May 2009 08:18

leswin reed

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 13 May 2009 08:19

I would guess that Curbishley would be the safest bet for instant rewards.

What is interesting is the number of potential managers out there with Reading connections.

Sanchez I would say no to, because he seems better managing the underdog. Word is, however, is that he is easily underrated.
Rodgers, Dolan and Parkinson are all possible if you are prepared to let a manager come 14th for 2 seasons. It may well be the best thing for us to do, but I cant see the East Stand letting that happen.
Pardew is just desperation.

Of the others, Martinez is the choice of people who watch football on television. There is no evidence that he wont be as sucessful as Parkinson AFTER he left Colchester. But its a big risk taking Martinez, he has, after all, achieved nothing. I have no comment to make on Ferguson, except Id be surprised if he left his current club.

My choice, I would actually take more than one of the above and fill the managerial and assistant managerial slot. Id be happy with an experienced hand like Curbishley leading if the club if he had "a Reading man", who isnt Kevin Dillon, alongside him.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 13 May 2009 08:23

boy1985 leswin reed

Alol. Please don't. :cry:

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 13 May 2009 08:34

I think the future of SSC has probably been known or some time at boardroom level, the whole "resign" statement and Sir JM's response sounded pre-written, if this is as it sounded then hopefully a replacement has alrady been sounded out ? For me, well lots of names will be sounded out on here, but

Curbs
Tisdale
Ferguson
Rodgers

any of those four would be ok, but I have thought for a long time that Hoddle wont be far away when SSC goes, pretty local, would fall into Sir JM'S financial stranglehold and is good with young players.

1747 posts