Did our cup mentality cost us?

Cpl Jones Dont panic

Did our cup mentality cost us?

by Cpl Jones Dont panic » 16 May 2009 15:14

With our lack of interest for cup matches in the last few seasons did it cost us dear?

The play offs are the same criteria as cup matches , and not only did we fail, we even failed to score a goal are we the only side not to score in this years play offs?

Is it just a coincidence that Burnley have won the play off and also had 2 amazing cup runs [ beating 5 premiership teams]?

I really hope that the new man has a different attitute to cup matches, we must have a cup mentality in place or I can see us never winning via the play offs.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Did our cup mentality cost us?

by Royal Lady » 16 May 2009 15:19

No.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 16 May 2009 15:26

/\/\/\ What she said.

Burnley beat us as we bottled it at home, and they were much better than us. Not because they had a god cup run. The funniest thing about the team board, is probably some of the RTG excuses people come up with. As if some people think we're a better team than we already are. In a way, i'm glad Coppell has gone, as his departure will deliver a sharp reality check to the RTG brigade.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 May 2009 15:28

^^^ 'greed

by 1960 » 16 May 2009 15:34

I agree with Cpl Jones. Burnley beat three premier teams and darn near beat Spurs. This must have given them confidence and a "we can beat anyone on our day" mentality. We bottled out of both cups, so when it came to the crunch (Birmingham and Burnley) we had no experience of sudden-death games and more or less gave up. Did Burnley give up when they were 4-1 down to Spurs?

And don't come up with Burnley were better than us. We beat them at home, should have beaten them away and were the better team for a large part of each play-off game. We just hoped to win. They wanted to and knew how to.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 May 2009 15:38

The players didn't want it enough - the likes of Hahnemann and Duberry more or less knew they wouldn't be having their contracts renewed, so what it did bother them if we didn't go up? SHunt had one leg out of the door (in his mind) practically all season - it was nothing to do with a cup run or lack of one, it was because too many of the players we had didn't want it enough and weren't prepared to fight for the right to play in the Premiership - they still get their wages whatever the result remember.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 16 May 2009 15:40

We simply do not do bruising in your face football. That is the edge this team was missing. Call it desire if you will.

loyalroyal

by loyalroyal » 16 May 2009 21:02

No. Move on m8 and dont make threads on tosh.

thx.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 16 May 2009 21:26

I think yes, our team was disjointed from Jan, was it a coincidnece that the first team were not playing regularly??? I dunno. feck it and move on

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 16 May 2009 22:23

AbovetheI /\/\/\ What she said.

Burnley beat us as we bottled it at home, and they were much better than us.

we didn't "bottle it".

Burnley were poor, totally penned back in their own half, then got a break and scored a once-in-a-career goal from 30 yards with their first chance of the match. With us struggling so much up front to create decent chances, despite dominating play, it just knocked us for six.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 16 May 2009 22:31

No, we were dogshite.

marysiaska

by marysiaska » 16 May 2009 22:36

[quote="percy_freeman"]No, we were dogshite.[/quo
We were unlucky in first leg....deserved a draw a least.....2nd leg we dominated first half.... and had our chances...their goalkeeper lucky not to be sent off...I'm not denying the fact they had two wonder strikes but the result wasn't a true reflection of the match....I'm gutted...

marysiaska

by marysiaska » 16 May 2009 22:39

we didn't "bottle it".

Burnley were poor, totally penned back in their own half, then got a break and scored a once-in-a-career goal from 30 yards with their first chance of the match. With us struggling so much up front to create decent chances, despite dominating play, it just knocked us for six.

Totally agree....Long was fouled..and goolkeeper lucky not to get a red card!!!

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 16 May 2009 23:49

we didn't "bottle it".

OPEN YOUR EYES!!!

If we were a team that wasn't full of bottle jobs, like for the first two thirds of the season, we would have won both legs 4-0. Burnley weren't poor. They frustrated us, parked the bus, then punished us. Something we could ever have done from January onwards. If we didn't bottle it, we would be promoted already. Simple as. As soon as you guys realise that, the better.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 May 2009 00:01

Yet another ridiculous suggestion

Cookie

by Cookie » 17 May 2009 01:19

Cpl Jones Dont panic
I really hope that the new man has a different attitute to cup matches, we must have a cup mentality in place or I can see us never winning via the play offs.

We don't need to succeed thru the play~offs.
But in I agree with the sentiment of your post.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 17 May 2009 12:07

Whether the cup run cost us or not, the last 2 years are clear evidence that throwing away cup matches doesn't help. It's not like Burnley's cup exploits have held them back. In the past 2 seasons our league form has coincidentally become poor after we throw away cup matches in a pathetic way. It could be a coincidence, however I can't see what we have gained in recent years with our attitude to cup competitions.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 17 May 2009 12:42

AbovetheI

we didn't "bottle it".

OPEN YOUR EYES!!!

If we were a team that wasn't full of bottle jobs, like for the first two thirds of the season, we would have won both legs 4-0. Burnley weren't poor. They frustrated us, parked the bus, then punished us. Something we could ever have done from January onwards. If we didn't bottle it, we would be promoted already. Simple as. As soon as you guys realise that, the better.

playing crap isn't "bottling it". Bottling it is throwing it away because of nerves and being unable to handle the pressure. We just lost form and ideas, and too many just got sloppy.

AbovetheI
Hob Nob Regular

by AbovetheI » 17 May 2009 19:02

Rev Algenon Stickleback H playing crap isn't "bottling it". Bottling it is throwing it away because of nerves and being unable to handle the pressure. We just lost form and ideas, and too many just got sloppy.

Ok then. Your blindness amazes me.
Last edited by AbovetheI on 17 May 2009 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT
Hob Nob Regular

by FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT » 17 May 2009 19:12

Rev Algenon Stickleback H playing crap isn't "bottling it". Bottling it is throwing it away because of nerves and being unable to handle the pressure. We just lost form and ideas, and too many just got sloppy.

So we did bottle it then?

Play Offs = Pressure Matches