New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by winchester_royal » 20 May 2009 09:39

YateleyRoyal To Be Honest, I havent read through all the posts so I dont know if this has been mentioned but what about Andy Scott at Brentford? Has done a great job this season, has built a strong core of a team, could be an oppurtunity for him. Also, why were KD and Wally not given a chance for the top job?

Because KD had his chance and blew it, while Wally is just that. Neither are management material. The club needed a change, and appointing one of those two would have been anything but.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 20 May 2009 09:40

Just got a text from the club confirming it..... its who we all thought it was :D

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 20 May 2009 09:45

rfcjoe Just got a text from the club confirming it..... its who we all thought it was :D

You had a drunken text from a mate saying what?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 20 May 2009 10:40

Agent Balti
rfcjoe Just got a text from the club confirming it..... its who we all thought it was :D

You had a drunken text from a mate saying what?

brendan is IN

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 May 2009 13:04

((duplicate post))
Last edited by Millsy on 21 May 2009 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 20 May 2009 13:06

Royal Rother It seems to me that very few managers who have been successful long-term at one club make it again - particularly after a break from management.

I wouldn't have a particular problem with his appointment as he's a decent guy but I somehow doubt Curbishley is right for us.

Rodgers feels right for us.

So now we're going on a vague gut feeling!? :wink:

I don't know you could be right, but *to me* Rodgers feels wrong.

That's why feeling is useless and I'd rather go by hard facts.

I'd rather have Curbs over Rodgers based on facts: i.e. better/longer record.

Coppell had breaks yet managed to be a success again, if not even more of a success than he was with Palace. I don't think one can generalise about people who have breaks.

Not too long ago I remind you that people here slagged Coppell off left right and centre and I almost singlehandedly (certainly at the start) fought off all the know-it-all opposition here by simply pointing to his amazing record arguing that it speaks volumes and that he'd eventually come good. The rest is history. (Unfortunately his record of leaving clubs when he feels low also repeated itself!)

The point is my foresight had nothing to do with knowing what I'm talking about, because I don't. There are *many* people here much more knowledgable about managers and football than I am. But it does go to show that a strong record means more than an informed opinion or an informed feeling and Curbs wins hands down in that department.

Having said that though the most knowledgeable of all as far as I'm concerned is our excellent board. This is the board that signed McGhee, signed Pardew, and signed Coppell. Burns and Bullivant were mistakes but 3 out of 5 isn't bad. If the Madman chooses Rodgers (or even Bullivant again for that matter) I will have confidence with his decision. They have proven that they largely know what they're doing even they ultimately go by feeling :smile:

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 20 May 2009 13:37

The "board" are going to make an educated guess, then they will rely on luck. The new man will also need luck. Coppell got lucky with the blend in his team between 2005/07. He didn`t get it either side of that. Gary Player says "the harder you try the luckier you get", I don`t think that necessarily applies to football management.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 20 May 2009 13:45

Negative_Jeff The "board" are going to make an educated guess, then they will rely on luck. The new man will also need luck. Coppell got lucky with the blend in his team between 2005/07. He didn`t get it either side of that. Gary Player says "the harder you try the luckier you get", I don`t think that necessarily applies to football management.

They called Sven Goran Ericsson a "lucky" manager.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 20 May 2009 13:46

Lucky Guus.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 20 May 2009 14:02

readingbedding Lucky Guus.

Guus would have been unlucky if he had inherited the West Ham dessing room at the time Curbishley did.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 20 May 2009 19:41

Interviews will happen over the week-end, with a decision probably made by the middle of next week.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 20 May 2009 20:05

If Curbishley is not interested, who knows who it'll be.

Sir Rodger Doyle

Re: If/When Coppell Walks

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 20 May 2009 23:47

Sir Rodger Doyle
Coppelled Streets Who the hell comes in and takes us forward?

It frightens the life out of me!

Dillon? No. Not after his little spell in charge after Pardew left.
Wally? No No No.
Dolan? ***Possible***

Typically we wont attract a big name, so who is currently out of work and acceptable in your eyes to come in IF we find ourselves looking for a manager shortly?

There was talk Shearer would drop to the Championship to manage. It's not as unthinkable as many may give it time for.

Not necessarily my vote but he is out of work as of last week I think it was, you ready...?

Eamon Dolan :shock:

Peter Taylor. :?

Frightening isn't it?!

I think the name you are looking for is Brendan Rogers. Brendan can currently be seen whispering words of advice into Avram Grants ears on the Chelsea bench.

I Love the Shearer bit Streeters.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New manager [Merged]

by Deathy » 21 May 2009 00:34

Shearer was linked heavily with Sheffield Wednesday at the time. Not so unthinkable. He could managing in the Championship next season! :lol:

Slinky
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Slinky » 21 May 2009 08:44

The BBC rumours have taken a small snippet from todays Sun.....

'Exeter boss Paul Tisdale has emerged as the leading contender to replace Steve Coppell as Reading manager' (The Sun)

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 21 May 2009 10:05

Text from the club saying

Interest from the highest level both home and abroad. Interviews could start next week.

It's Steve Mclaren

OH SHIT

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 21 May 2009 10:06

He would probably be very good to be fair. His record, England apart, is not to be sniffed at.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 21 May 2009 10:13

Jan Poortvliedt or however you spell it maybe?

Good at bringing the youngsters through, good style of play. Had absolutely no resource at Southampton, might fare better at Reading where there is a balance of some resource + good young players. Wasn't he linked with joining the coaching staff at 1 point?

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 21 May 2009 10:13

No Hoops Text from the club saying

Interest from the highest level both home and abroad. Interviews could start next week.

It's Steve Mclaren

OH SHIT

Could start next week? Nicky Hammond quoted today as saying they have already started. I'm sure I read that.

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 21 May 2009 10:45

Andy West has left Reading? Coincidence? I thinks not. New backroom staff is one thing, but who would want to appoint their own PR guy?

Step forward Jose Mourinho. It even fits all the speculation about Brendan Rodgers as Jose said if he came back to England he'd want him as assistant.

It's the only thing that makes sense!

(call me an ambulance someone. How long?? I can't wait that long I'm going mad here and it's SHunts fault)

1747 posts