New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

by SpaceCruiser » 04 Jun 2009 18:15

Did you miss the word "speculation" in the earlier part of that quote?

Volvicanus
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Volvicanus » 04 Jun 2009 18:16

Very sorry to not troll through all 71 pages... but could someone give me a precis on Rodgers? Not history - I can get that on wiki - just what kind of game he tends toward, what kind of players, what kind of temperament? Or point me towards that info?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 04 Jun 2009 18:37

What are our players going to make of this appointment?

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 04 Jun 2009 18:44

Volvicanus Very sorry to not troll through all 71 pages... but could someone give me a precis on Rodgers? Not history - I can get that on wiki - just what kind of game he tends toward, what kind of players, what kind of temperament? Or point me towards that info?

He likes to knock the ball about on the floor. :) and as to players he likes, sorry, can't help you there. But being as he has been involved in both our academy and Chelsea's academy, I assume he won't be afraid to use the kids. Time will tell.

Whistle

by Whistle » 04 Jun 2009 18:51

Volvicanus Very sorry to not troll through all 71 pages... but could someone give me a precis on Rodgers? Not history - I can get that on wiki - just what kind of game he tends toward, what kind of players, what kind of temperament? Or point me towards that info?

Very likeable decent bloke with good people skills but with a fanatical gleam in his eye. Determined chin, fierce handshake, likes a laugh. I've met briefly him a few times and was impressed enough to tip him to get the job as far back as Apr 19th :D though no doubt someone else beat me to it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jun 2009 18:54

Rawlie19

He likes to knock the ball about on the floor. :) and as to players he likes, sorry, can't help you there. But being as he has been involved in both our academy and Chelsea's academy, I assume he won't be afraid to use the kids. Time will tell.

Got Watford playing extremely pretty but ineffectual passing game. realised they weren't up to it and compromised by going slightly more direct. Lifted them from relegation zone to mid-table. Works well with youth. Can get quality players who aren't performing to perform (MacAnuff).

I'd say he'd like to play an on the deck passing game with plenty of emphasis on attack and pace. But that's just a gut feeling based on various reports about him and Watford and seeing the 4-0 at the Mad Stad.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Jun 2009 19:15

Royal With Cheese
Royal Rother
Royal With Cheese The Rodgers situation definatley has parallels with McGhee's departure wrather than Pardews.

Hardly - there has been no suggestion that Rodgers was offered the job at RFC then decided to stay at Watford, shook hands on it, only to change his mind a few hours later, has there?

Permission was sought to speak to the manager. This was granted.
Rodgers stated his desire to stay with Watford. Now he's Reading manager.

Rodgers was far more clever than Pardew. Where/when did Rodgers state his desire to stay with Watford? What he did state was that he had a job to do with Watford and was concentrating on it 100%. At the time that was no doubt true.

Royal With Cheese On Watford site. In reference to RR's post:

WATFORD FC regret to announce the departure of manager Brendan Rodgers to Championship Club Reading, he leaves his position after only seven months in charge at Vicarage Road.
Following contact from Reading on Friday requesting permission to talk to Rodgers, Watford Chairman Jimmy Russo initially rebuffed this approach. Then over the weekend Rodgers expressed his desire to have the opportunity to speak to the Berkshire based outfit.
Russo said: "Following speculation over the Reading vacancy I had spoken to Brendan only last week and he had assured me that he was 100% committed to Watford FC and our plan for the future.

HTH.

Nothing more than hearsay my Lord!!

How can anyone who wasn't there during the conversation know whether that was said or not? At the time McGhee left, we were told that he had said certain things/that certain things happened, which he subsequently denied. Furthermore, I still have a letter somewhere from the then Chairman of Leicester who actually took the trouble to respond to my letter of criticism and told a somewhat different account of affairs from that which most people in Reading heard.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 04 Jun 2009 19:52

Christ all frickin' mighty, what a bunch of hoopla over bugger all. I understand Watford fans being mightily pee'd off as they know they were onto a winner. As we will soon see ourselves, I hope. But to get all proud that this isn't the "Reading Way" and our "reputation has been tarnished", what a load of ol' pish.

Let's not kid ourselves for a minute, this is a blinkered industry. Players have clauses to the nth degree, nowadays managers have them too. Loyalty is bobbins. If Rodgers and Watford were such happy bed-fellows, then why on earth would he have agreed to a £500k clause in his contract (and only 12 month rolling contract at that) - why? Because it's football, it's incestuous, dirty and not half as romantic as people think.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Rodgers had a specific clause in his contract that if the Reading job came up, then he would like to be considered. It happens, we all know it does. To say that we didn't even speak to Brendan before Coppell left (or even if Coppell was even a party to sounding him out as a potential manager) isn't being naive. OK, we may have had to stump up the cash first, but if he's got a clause in his contract then he's fair game. Rodgers didn't have to resign to get the job. We did what was agreed by all parties!

Let's not forget our own tricks of giving *cough* highly rated players new contracts to inflate their worth under the banner of "to quell any further rumours" (but then perform like utter gash, but that's besides the point.) It's not quite in the same league as triggering a release clause in a contract, but it's far and away from "I love this club, I will stay as long as the club wants me to." Otherwise known as "Show me the money or I'm off."

I'm surprised that this still surprises people.

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 04 Jun 2009 19:55

Scrappy I've got to say how mightily unimpressed I've been by our official site today. Watford have quotes from Brendan and even clarification as to what has happened. Reading have a statement which can be written on the back of a stamp.

Me too. I've read quotes from Rodgers, Murty and others regarding the appointment - but NOTHING offical on the official site - very poor

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 04 Jun 2009 20:01

M U R T Y
Scrappy I've got to say how mightily unimpressed I've been by our official site today. Watford have quotes from Brendan and even clarification as to what has happened. Reading have a statement which can be written on the back of a stamp.

Me too. I've read quotes from Rodgers, Murty and others regarding the appointment - but NOTHING offical on the official site - very poor

It's probably because it's still being finalised. The only thing that's really confirmed (despite all the headlines) is that he is no longer manager of Watford.

He still needs to sign the paperwork with Reading.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jun 2009 20:03

Royal With Cheese
Royal Rother
Royal With Cheese Hardly - there has been no suggestion that Rodgers was offered the job at RFC then decided to stay at Watford, shook hands on it, only to change his mind a few hours later, has there?

Permission was sought to speak to the manager. This was granted.
Rodgers stated his desire to stay with Watford. Now he's Reading manager.

That looks pretty reasonable to me. Of course, I understand you're splitting hairs.

Crucially you've got the order of events wrong in this case.

Rodgers stated he was happy with Watford BEFORE we made an approach, not AFTER, as was the case with McGhee - therefore a completely different scenario.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 04 Jun 2009 20:13

Royal Rother Rodgers stated he was happy with Watford BEFORE we made an approach, not AFTER, as was the case with McGhee - therefore a completely different scenario.

There are parallels. They are obvious. It's also obvious that it's not exactly the same situation. That's why I didn't write "It's exactly the same situation". I'm sorry if you've misunderstood the intention of my post.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 04 Jun 2009 20:23

RoyalBlue Nothing more than hearsay my Lord!!

How can anyone who wasn't there during the conversation know whether that was said or not? At the time McGhee left, we were told that he had said certain things/that certain things happened, which he subsequently denied. Furthermore, I still have a letter somewhere from the then Chairman of Leicester who actually took the trouble to respond to my letter of criticism and told a somewhat different account of affairs from that which most people in Reading heard.

Care to reproduce the letter? I'm genuinely interested.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 04 Jun 2009 20:24

Rawlie19

How many of the current crop of lads coming through were here when BR was in charge of the academy? Anyone know?

Halifax 4-1

by Halifax 4-1 » 04 Jun 2009 21:23

Strange that there has not been anything on the official site yet. At least I would have expected the club to announce a press conference some time tomorrow. Could there be a problem over personal terms? The last official report from Reading was that the clubs had agreed a compensation deal.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jun 2009 21:30

Royal With Cheese
Royal Rother Rodgers stated he was happy with Watford BEFORE we made an approach, not AFTER, as was the case with McGhee - therefore a completely different scenario.

There are parallels. They are obvious. It's also obvious that it's not exactly the same situation. That's why I didn't write "It's exactly the same situation". I'm sorry if you've misunderstood the intention of my post.

Okay but you probably wouldn't have to look too hard to find parallels with the majority of managerial appointments.

Drawing attention to them in this case seems odd to me.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jun 2009 21:38

BBC Radio now reporting that "Brendan Rodgers has left Watford and APPEARS bound for Reading".

Do we really need to wait for this lady to turn up?

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 04 Jun 2009 21:43

Halifax 4-1 Strange that there has not been anything on the official site yet. At least I would have expected the club to announce a press conference some time tomorrow. Could there be a problem over personal terms? The last official report from Reading was that the clubs had agreed a compensation deal.

That's why I think all this bollocks about us going behind their back isn't true. I actually think the situation is exactly the same as with Peterborough and Ferguson. The only difference is that Watford were willing to negotiate and today is the first chance we've had to speak to him. I guess the fact that it's been confirmed that he's left Watford should settle the nerves, but something in me tells me that until it's confirmed on the club website it's not 100% certain. Imagine if we're now failing to agree terms or he felt we were going to offer more of a budget. Would be very embarrassing if us and Watford were left without a manager, and Rodgers a job. I just hope they're celebrating with a few drinks together. Come on Reading confirm it!

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 04 Jun 2009 22:02

Royalwaster
Rawlie19

How many of the current crop of lads coming through were here when BR was in charge of the academy? Anyone know?

Cox, Hamer, Pierce, Karacan, Henry, Kelly, Church and Davies iirc.
Last edited by Sir Rodger Doyle on 04 Jun 2009 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 04 Jun 2009 22:03

Don't forget it's always Watford who we get at the end of the season!

Wonder if it'll be as important as the Brum match?

1747 posts