New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

by Dirk Gently » 06 Jun 2009 07:29

Wizard

So close but not quite there - it's "Brendan Rodgers's Blue and White Army". Not a plural - it's a name so you still add the apostrophe and an extra s.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 06 Jun 2009 09:02

it is going to be interesting to see what Rodgers thinks of the pitch with regard to his desired passing game

lightning strikes

by lightning strikes » 06 Jun 2009 09:05

No additional s required.

Singular possessive
The possessive form of a singular noun is an apostrophe followed by the letter "s."

Kramer's hair
Daphne's patience
the car's engine

Words ending with s, z or x generally omit the "s."

Dr. Seuss' sense of humor

Plural possessive
In order to place the apostrophe correctly in plural nouns, you must first be certain of the plural form. If you have questions about these forms, you may want to browse the section on plural nouns above.

For plural nouns ending in "s," add only an apostrophe:

Singers' voices
The cousins' favorite uncle

For plural nouns not ending in "s," add an apostrophe and "s."

Men's clothing
Children's books

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 06 Jun 2009 09:28

The whole year inn it is going to be interesting to see what Rodgers thinks of the pitch with regard to his desired passing game

There was a story on the official site a week or so ago, saying that the problems of the pitch for last season were pretty much down to it being the 'first year' of the current crop of grass. They couldn't do much to it in the first year, but now in it's second year, it should be a lot better.

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 33,00.html

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 06 Jun 2009 09:40

Good appointment imo, knows the club well and by the sounds of it is Reading through and through. He'll also give youth a chance.

Based on how his Watford team played against us (certainly seems to prefer an attacking style) and the fact that Wally has gone we could be pretty open next season, which in itself raises issues about how our defence will cope.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Jun 2009 10:02

I'll be happy winning 5-3 every game

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 06 Jun 2009 10:22

What has been really great about Rodgers' first interviews, is that he seems to have so much ambition for this football club. Even the tongue-in-cheek comment about one day playing in the champions league...it almost felt as if he really meant it.

Can't wait for the season to start now.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 06 Jun 2009 10:44

Not sure about Rodgers myself. I hope he's fantastic, but I'm not convinced at the moment.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 06 Jun 2009 10:59

79Royal Not sure about Rodgers myself. I hope he's fantastic, but I'm not convinced at the moment.

Why not? What's not convincing? Any new appointment is about potential, no more than that. Rodgers shows plenty of potential, is talked up by the highest in the business (even if you like him or not), and knows the club inside and out.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Jun 2009 11:36

Rodgers has to produce results on the pitch, but it wouldn't be Reading without the sceptics !

Some people weren't convinced about Coppell despite all he did....

Rodgers comes across very well, he's got a top rate background and the local connection. How anyone can fail to at least find the prospect of seeing if he can walk the walk exciting I can't understand.

So rather than being all cold and analytical I'd suggest the doubters just relax, enjoy the ride and see how the new regime shapes up in the next 12 months.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jun 2009 11:42

Sun Tzu Rodgers has to produce results on the pitch, but it wouldn't be Reading without the sceptics !

Some people weren't convinced about Coppell despite all he did....

Rodgers comes across very well, he's got a top rate background and the local connection. How anyone can fail to at least find the prospect of seeing if he can walk the walk exciting I can't understand.

So rather than being all cold and analytical I'd suggest the doubters just relax, enjoy the ride and see how the new regime shapes up in the next 12 months.

Most important bit. Lets keep to the Reading way and give him a proper amount of time. Mid table this season doesn't mean he should be sacked. It just means we give him a little more time before he really gets going.

Reading 2 managers in 8 years?
How many have Saints, Newcastle & co had in that time? Lets not follow their model of sacking a manager if things don't go all their way.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 06 Jun 2009 11:45

Snowball I'll be happy winning 5-3 every game

Next season should be an exciting season, but i made that comment as i think the defence could be the key to where we finish. Although as long as we give the youngsters the chance i'll take mid-table, anything else would be a bonus.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Jun 2009 13:15

KC Royal
Snowball I'll be happy winning 5-3 every game

Next season should be an exciting season, but i made that comment as i think the defence could be the key to where we finish. Although as long as we give the youngsters the chance i'll take mid-table, anything else would be a bonus.

No matter where we finish, next season will see us playing some proper, exciting, passing football with the ball staying on the ground for the majority of the time it is in our possession - so let's hope they are doing a good job on fixing that pitch!

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 06 Jun 2009 13:26

Dirk Gently So close but not quite there - it's "Brendan Rodgers's Blue and White Army". Not a plural - it's a name so you still add the apostrophe and an extra s.

I'm fairly sure you don't need the extra s. And blue and white wouldn't fit on the screen, I only had space for 2 extra characters on each line so barmy was all I could manage.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Jun 2009 13:28

Of course you don't need the extra S. Mr Grammar-Pedant has disappeared up his own wotsit on that one.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 06 Jun 2009 14:05

Agent Balti
79Royal Not sure about Rodgers myself. I hope he's fantastic, but I'm not convinced at the moment.

Why not? What's not convincing? Any new appointment is about potential, no more than that. Rodgers shows plenty of potential, is talked up by the highest in the business (even if you like him or not), and knows the club inside and out.

It's just my usual pre-season doubts. I like to set myself up for a fall so that I'm not too disappointed come the end of the season!

I reckon it will be one of two extremes. We'll either go up or get relegated. But as next year is a world cup year, I'm quietly confident.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 06 Jun 2009 14:22

79Royal
Agent Balti

It's just my usual pre-season doubts. I like to set myself up for a fall so that I'm not too disappointed come the end of the season!

I reckon it will be one of two extremes. We'll either go up or get relegated. But as next year is a world cup year, I'm quietly confident.

Next year will be just about rebuilding. If success happens, no doubt we'll bite its hands off. But there will be many, many changes visible ones and not so. Rodgers' true potential won't be revealed within the first few months and anyone who dares to jump at such a judgement is frankly an idiot. Any major change causes further change...results may not be instant, but as long as we're playing decent stuff, I'll be happy. It's the season after next that we'll be 'Brendan's team'.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 06 Jun 2009 15:02

Agent Balti If success happens, no doubt we'll bite its hands off.
No. As usual we'll aloofly turn our backs on it in the New Year.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 Jun 2009 19:40

lightning strikes No additional s required.

Singular possessive
The possessive form of a singular noun is an apostrophe followed by the letter "s."

Kramer's hair
Daphne's patience
the car's engine

Words ending with s, z or x generally omit the "s."

Dr. Seuss' sense of humor

Plural possessive
In order to place the apostrophe correctly in plural nouns, you must first be certain of the plural form. If you have questions about these forms, you may want to browse the section on plural nouns above.

For plural nouns ending in "s," add only an apostrophe:

Singers' voices
The cousins' favorite uncle

For plural nouns not ending in "s," add an apostrophe and "s."

Men's clothing
Children's books

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/ - rule 2, example 3.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 Jun 2009 19:42

Royal Rother Of course you don't need the extra S. Mr Grammar-Pedant has disappeared up his own wotsit on that one.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Just adding an apostrophe after the "s" only applies to plural possessives - names are treated as singular and follow the "'s" rule, even of they already end in "s".

1747 posts