New Signings ?

773 posts
Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New Signings ?

by Royalee » 15 Jun 2009 16:50

Emergency repairs? I forgot where we'd finished the year before he took over and our rubbish start to the season under Pardew.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Jun 2009 16:51

To be fair though Coppell took over a squad that didn't really need any emergency repairs, hence our manager being poached for a bigger job and not walking away after an largely aging first eleven suffered from quite demoralising 18 months of form.

This preseason Rodgers faces losing his best players as opposed to Coppell who was taking over a side on the up with no players in the side that were likely targets for Premiership clubs.

Totally different situations and I don't think comparing them is really that easy or helpful.

As much as Royalee obviously tries to get a rise out of a few people on here, he is largely consistent in his opinions and often makes a decent amount on good points too. I don't reallly see why anyone would think he'd be on Rodgers back as quickly as being suggested to be honest.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 15 Jun 2009 16:53

even if it was three years.........how is that bad you oddball?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 15 Jun 2009 16:57

Hoop Blah To be fair though Coppell took over a squad that didn't really need any emergency repairs, hence our manager being poached for a bigger job and not walking away after an largely aging first eleven suffered from quite demoralising 18 months of form.

This preseason Rodgers faces losing his best players as opposed to Coppell who was taking over a side on the up with no players in the side that were likely targets for Premiership clubs.

Totally different situations and I don't think comparing them is really that easy or helpful.

As much as Royalee obviously tries to get a rise out of a few people on here, he is largely consistent in his opinions and often makes a decent amount on good points too. I don't reallly see why anyone would think he'd be on Rodgers back as quickly as being suggested to be honest.

Beacause the three highest finishes in the club's 138 year history wasn't good enough to prevent the previous incumbent from being slated and ridiculed.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Jun 2009 17:04

With fair reasoning behind it.

Plenty of people were also critical of the manager during the time he got us relegated and them failed address our inept post-xmas form, some even said we would be better off without him and, heaven forbid, that we'd not progress with him at the helm!

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 15 Jun 2009 19:02

Hoop Blah With fair reasoning behind it.

Plenty of people were also critical of the manager during the time he got us relegated and them failed address our inept post-xmas form, some even said we would be better off without him and, heaven forbid, that we'd not progress with him at the helm!

Nothing's changed since I answered that point the last time you made it, about 3 hours ago :roll:

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 15 Jun 2009 19:14

This debate is about Rodgers, not new signings. Take it to a new thread! :wink: 8)

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Jun 2009 19:37

Schards#2
Hoop Blah To be fair though Coppell took over a squad that didn't really need any emergency repairs, hence our manager being poached for a bigger job and not walking away after an largely aging first eleven suffered from quite demoralising 18 months of form.

Beacause the three highest finishes in the club's 138 year history wasn't good enough to prevent the previous incumbent from being slated and ridiculed.

He didn't exactly have the same starting point as any of our previous managers though did he?

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 15 Jun 2009 20:43

Campbell-Ryce will be the saviour. Don't worry.

fireman_jules

by fireman_jules » 15 Jun 2009 21:41

quote="Sun Tzu"]
Royalee
brendywendy not as much as i do at 2.5 million.hes worth 5 IMO

you believe doobs was awful, i believe he was good enough to merit his place most times last season.-clearly bikey is better, but if the other option was pearce you have to go with one of the experienced heads IMO.
whereas you seem to ignore the fact that a pearce/bikey defence was considered very inexperienced by the coaches that saw them every day.
either way its just opinion, neither is right or wrong, and neither can be proven, no matter how many times you say it.

Please enlighten me as to what those coaches who saw them every day managed to do with the squad that was easily good enough to gain promotion. Perhaps if those coaches were correct in their beliefs then they'd still be working at RFC.

They managed to select a defence that was one of the tightest in the division.

Our failure to gain promotion was not down to our defence, so to suggest that selection errors over which centre back pairing to use cost us seems a bit like arguing that the catering on the Titanic was not up to scratch.[/quote]

To be fair - apparently, they didn't put enough lemon in the prawn cocktail.[/quote]

Apparently the poor cuisine led to the sinking of the ship. The romaine lettuce was starting to go ff so they tried their luck with the iceberg

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 15 Jun 2009 21:43

Royalee
Schards#2

He didn't exactly have the same starting point as any of our previous managers though did he?

True, but Rodgers has a fairly similar starting point as Coppell.

Good luck to the guy (and I haven't seen enough of his work to have an opinion) but you would have to be hugely optimistic to believe that he will better Coppell's achievements.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 15 Jun 2009 22:45

Harry Carry Campbell-Ryce will be the saviour. Don't worry.

Better than SCunt.

hellopremiership

by hellopremiership » 15 Jun 2009 22:59

A lot of talk on UR&G about a new young loanee from Inter!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Jun 2009 23:10

Rodgers has a better starting point than Coppell did IMO. He might be slightly worse off in goal, but he's as good in attack and midfield if not better and much better off in defence. And it is now easier to attaract a better calibre of player and teh club is more well off financially.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 Jun 2009 23:17

Rodgers has a better starting point than Coppell did IMO. He might be slightly worse off in goal, but he's as good in attack and midfield if not better and much better off in defence.[/quote]

The millstone around BR's neck, which is something SC never had, is the weight of expectations. We now have many in our crowd who expect and demand pretty-instant success, and will make their feelings known if it doesn't happen.

I just hope BR is given time because any rebuilding-job takes time.

Ian Royal And it is now easier to attaract a better calibre of player and teh club is more well off financially.

Not sure they are - they may be this season, with parachute money, but no players will sign a three-year contract, and one that money goes things are not attractive financially. Income may have gone up with the PL year, but so have wages at the club for players at all levels.

Where BR is better off is with Hogwood - the infrastructure and training facilities are far better off than they were 6 years ago.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Jun 2009 01:26

Ian Royal Rodgers has a better starting point than Coppell did IMO. He might be slightly worse off in goal, but he's as good in attack and midfield if not better and much better off in defence. And it is now easier to attaract a better calibre of player and teh club is more well off financially.

Oh please - Shorey and Murty vs Armstrong and Rosenior is a no contest. Hahnemann was in his prime when Coppell took over and we had Sidwell in midfield who's better than anyone we have in the squad to play there right now. Yes the centre backs are probably better now (although Williams was still a regular and performing well when Coppell took over), but to say Rodgers is in a far better position is absolute rubbish.

I knew we'd stop agreeing after a while. :lol:

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 16 Jun 2009 09:59

Let's just say both Coppell and Rodgers' had/have their advantages and it is how they cope with these that makes them a good manager.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Jun 2009 10:39

Schards#2
Hoop Blah With fair reasoning behind it.

Nothing's changed since I answered that point the last time you made it, about 3 hours ago :roll:

You obviously still didn't get the point I was making then, let alone give it an answer.

Ian R - Not sure how you could say Rodgers has taken over in a better situation than Coppell did.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 16 Jun 2009 10:40

Wouldn't have thought there are too many advantages either way. Pardew had already spent most of the transfer budget on Goater and Murray and Coppell had to take on Dillon from the previous management team when he arrived. Rodgers biggest problem is that a large part of our fanbase has lost its prem cherry and now believes we should be there of right and just fail to realise just how much this club has overachieved in the last few years and won't have the patience or the desire to back a tricky transitional period where the first team will pretty much have to be completely rebuilt over the next 2 to 3 years in line with current economic conditions and the likely financial backing from its owner (prising the fingers from the SJM wallet).

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Jun 2009 10:57

Royalee
Ian Royal Rodgers has a better starting point than Coppell did IMO. He might be slightly worse off in goal, but he's as good in attack and midfield if not better and much better off in defence. And it is now easier to attaract a better calibre of player and teh club is more well off financially.

Oh please - Shorey and Murty vs Armstrong and Rosenior is a no contest. Hahnemann was in his prime when Coppell took over and we had Sidwell in midfield who's better than anyone we have in the squad to play there right now. Yes the centre backs are probably better now (although Williams was still a regular and performing well when Coppell took over), but to say Rodgers is in a far better position is absolute rubbish.

I knew we'd stop agreeing after a while. :lol:

My gosh even I agree with Royalee, kind of. :shock:

Coppell had Sidders and Shorey and USA was in his prime. Yes ok now we might have Doyle (for how long?) and Shunt (or is that such a good thing?). I think BR has a tougher job at the moment given the current squad and the lack of morale.

On the other hand it's certainly true that we're in a far better position to attract players so in that sense yes perhaps it is easier for BR. But who are we going to attract in the Champ realistically? And was attracting players in the champ a problem for Coppell? In the Prem it'd be mroe noticeable but in the champ I think Sir John's legendary tightness is probably the bottle neck, if at all. I don't think it'll give us as much as an advantage as we'd like. We are at the end of the day a Champ club and no more.

It's difficult to compare though tbh but on balance I'd probably rather be in Coppell's shoes when he joined than BR's now... *only just* though.

Coppell was the best thing ever to touch this club and noone in their right mind can disagree. I doubt we'll get anything like him again and maintain that we might see another 135 years of gloom starting with the Thirteenth Place Twenty Seven Game Wonder. Having said that it might well be possible that BR will outperform Coppell eventually. It might be wrong to believe he was a one-off. Who knows?

773 posts