by Thaumagurist* » 25 Jun 2009 10:25

Harry Carry No Simon Osbourn??

Grrrr.

I'd vote for Terry Hurlock.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sky Sports All Time Greatest

by West Stand Man » 25 Jun 2009 10:52

The 'greatest' bit of it needs assessing. Are we talking of the legend status (in which case Friday wins hands donw for me) or the greatest player in terms of ability and delivery of that ability. If the latter than it has to be one of the more recent crop of players who have taken us into the PL and held us in the top half of the Championship.

The best signing was Jimmy Quinn. He has to feature in the final list of greats to have worn the Reading shirt - maybe even pushes Friday for top legend status.

2 Pints and a packet of c

by 2 Pints and a packet of c » 25 Jun 2009 10:53

Where is Bas????

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 25 Jun 2009 10:59

Herbert Smith. Left back, won an Olympic Gold medal and played four times for England.

Ronnie Blackman, Martin Hicks and Trevor Senior must also be in the running.

Tadleys Finest

by Tadleys Finest » 25 Jun 2009 11:42

hmmm Trevor Senior def should be in there surely ?? Reckon it has to be Robin Friday though given the list.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Jun 2009 12:18

Dirk Gently Don't forget the is Sky Sports we're talking about - football only started in 1992, and Reading's history only started in 2006.

The point is it's best though... At least that's what it says in the body of the text. The chances are that the best players are going to have played for you whilst you were at your highest position. So the majority of ours should in the last 5 years. Obviously there are exceptions like Friday and Death, who Sky mention.

Normally I'd completely agree with your slating of Sky in thios way, but this just seems to be a kneejerk based on the fact it's Sky and not what the whole thing is about.

Or are you going to really tell me that players who played a lot for Reading in the third tier were better than the likes of Murty, Kitson, Shorey, Doyle, Little, Sidwell and co?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Jun 2009 12:33

where is michael meaker on that list?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 25 Jun 2009 13:03

Terminal Boardom Sky Sports is launching a survey to find out the best player ever to wear a Reading
George Best, Friendly 1984.

What about Roman, the guy who came on at the Didcot town friendly?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Jun 2009 13:35

Forbury Lion What about Roman, the guy who came on at the Didcot town friendly?

Pavyluchenko. He was on trial with Lubomir "knowing me knowing you" Blaha.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 25 Jun 2009 13:43

Ian Royal
Dirk Gently Don't forget the is Sky Sports we're talking about - football only started in 1992, and Reading's history only started in 2006.

The point is it's best though... At least that's what it says in the body of the text. The chances are that the best players are going to have played for you whilst you were at your highest position. So the majority of ours should in the last 5 years. Obviously there are exceptions like Friday and Death, who Sky mention.

Normally I'd completely agree with your slating of Sky in thios way, but this just seems to be a kneejerk based on the fact it's Sky and not what the whole thing is about.

Or are you going to really tell me that players who played a lot for Reading in the third tier were better than the likes of Murty, Kitson, Shorey, Doyle, Little, Sidwell and co?

Actually they might well have been, often i point out that Man U and others can play two teams at the top level, was not like that 30/40 years ago, top division clubs had squads of about 18 players, so 396 at that level, many from all over the UK, now the prem clubs ave prob 500 of the best, so I think players that in the past were div 3 are now playing at championship, when then they would have been lower down, hard to factor in the influx of foreign stars tho.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 25 Jun 2009 14:25

Linvoy? Surely he'd left before he got really good?
I like the 'Two spells with the club' caption for Glen Little as well, for me it was the semi-fit meandering performances of his loan spell that really cemented his nomination here.

torbayroyal

by torbayroyal » 25 Jun 2009 15:03

What is all the fuss about? how hard can it be to choose? good idea choosing, brings back wonderful memories

Paul canoville was magic. No contest. easy decision
On the other hand Robin Friday was a genius. yes it has to be Robin.
Wait a mo though. Parky. solid reliable mr 100% yes Parky
Trevor senior for his goals
although without Kevin bremner he wouldn't have scored so many.
Deano Deano Deano, how sad
Martin Hicks was Reading through and through oh gosh this is hard
Archi was a local lad adored by all. scored some good goals too.
Then again when Gilkesy ran with the ball...
Terry Hurlock, percy freeman, if the football was no good the fights were welcome
Then the new crop, can't leave them out. top level first time ever.
Steve Sidwell it is.
Of course Kevin Doyle is prolific.
Murty ultimate professional and a lover of the game
Nicky Shorey came up every level and looked at ease
Then the one game wonders. george Best, steve Archibald
Dennis Penford has a beach hut near me. Always smiling though not in good health.
Lamberts goal against forest (Steve Stone for his miss) (Steve bruce for his)
Adie Williams, he even scored for us when playing for Wolves!! thats dedication.
Steve Death
Jim leighton (on loan)
So many players stayed at Reading for all of their careers. Some of the pies were in the warmer for many seasons too.

I have a headache now. not playing any more

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 25 Jun 2009 15:31

Bas Savage? Elroy Kromheer? Robert Fleck? Michael Meaker? George Friel?

Bombard Sky Sports with nominations of shite players. Alternatively, nominate really crap players for other clubs :lol:

Cookie

by Cookie » 25 Jun 2009 15:54

torbayroyal What is all the fuss about? how hard can it be to choose? good idea choosing, brings back wonderful memories

Paul canoville was magic. No contest. easy decision
On the other hand Robin Friday was a genius. yes it has to be Robin.
Wait a mo though. Parky. solid reliable mr 100% yes Parky
Trevor senior for his goals
although without Kevin bremner he wouldn't have scored so many.
Deano Deano Deano, how sad
Martin Hicks was Reading through and through oh gosh this is hard
Archi was a local lad adored by all. scored some good goals too.
Then again when Gilkesy ran with the ball...
Terry Hurlock, percy freeman, if the football was no good the fights were welcome
Then the new crop, can't leave them out. top level first time ever.
Steve Sidwell it is.
Of course Kevin Doyle is prolific.
Murty ultimate professional and a lover of the game
Nicky Shorey came up every level and looked at ease
Then the one game wonders. george Best, steve Archibald
Dennis Penford has a beach hut near me. Always smiling though not in good health.
Lamberts goal against forest (Steve Stone for his miss) (Steve bruce for his)
Adie Williams, he even scored for us when playing for Wolves!! thats dedication.
Steve Death
Jim leighton (on loan)
So many players stayed at Reading for all of their careers. Some of the pies were in the warmer for many seasons too.

I have a headache now. not playing any more

Is that Bruce Stuckey posting?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Jun 2009 15:58

Ian Royal

No, I'm telling you that a TV company that wants to fill air-time with something like this will only allow each winner to be someoe that they have lots of footage of - so anyone they've noever heard of or don't have any film of (e.g. Friday) won't get near the top spot.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 25 Jun 2009 16:00

It has to be Robert Codner.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Jun 2009 16:28

Dirk Gently
Ian Royal

No, I'm telling you that a TV company that wants to fill air-time with something like this will only allow each winner to be someoe that they have lots of footage of - so anyone they've noever heard of or don't have any film of (e.g. Friday) won't get near the top spot.

HNA campaign for Friday or Death to piss them off then.

fester_royal

by fester_royal » 25 Jun 2009 16:48

regardless of what my head said i had to go for fozzy aka the man with the weakest hamstrings on earth. It isnt an easy choice to make when i grew up adoring Parky and Williams, then of course theres the legends you never saw like Death and friday. but my heart chose fozzy just for his 20 yarder at sheffield, a goal i will always remember along with kevin doyles last minute equaliser and Curetons.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 25 Jun 2009 17:25

donface What about Paul "Stroller" Holsgrove?

Still strolling I hear. Certainly never broke into a trot when playing at Elm Park.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 25 Jun 2009 17:28

bottom left hand corner Steve Sidwell

Never replaced him

We were talking about legends.

Robin Friday.