NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Bikey signs for Burnley

382 posts
Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RUMOUR - Bikey to Marseille

by Dirk Gently » 21 Jul 2009 10:46

PistolPete ....
What seems obvious is that Rodgers doesn't seem prepared to invest his growing reputation in Bikey - I just do not buy the theory that Rodgers is preparing for the first 3 games of the season and not the season as a whole. I see Bikey as very much like Titus Bramble; all the attributes to be a great defender just needs either a leader besides him or age and experience. He played the game against Tooting and Mitcham barely saying a word to the 16 year old next to him - not a great sign of someone who is prepared to shoulder responsibility.

In my opinion Readings major investment this summer should be a defensive rock and leader to play along side Bikey at the back, someone that he will listen to and someone that he respects - otherwise Bikey will fail and we may be better off with 3m in the bank. Just my opinion...

I think BR is just aware that Bikey is now a "marked-man" - the whole of the football world knows that he has a short-fuse, and because of this he'll be the target of every little trick and bit of gamesmanship possible to try and wind him up and make him lose it.

I think BR either believes that this is innate in Bikey and can't be taken out of his temperament, or that if it can be it it would take too much effort to be worthwhile.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 Jul 2009 10:56

PistolPete oh, and by the way, Duberry was club captain at Stoke)

That doesn't mean he was any good at it (oh, and by the way, they got promoted the season after he left. Maybe they found a better leader?) ;)

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Jul 2009 11:02

Wycombe Royal

That doesn't mean he was any good at it (oh, and by the way, they got promoted the season after he left. Maybe they found a better leader?) ;)

A great team doesn't need a great leader - and a great leader doesn''t magically make a crap team successful.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 Jul 2009 11:19

Dirk Gently
Wycombe Royal

A great team doesn't need a great leader - and a great leader doesn''t magically make a crap team successful.

I wasn't being serious, hence the smilie. I was however being serious when I said "that doesn't mean he was any good at it".

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Jul 2009 11:21

Wycombe Royal
Dirk Gently
Wycombe Royal That doesn't mean he was any good at it (oh, and by the way, they got promoted the season after he left. Maybe they found a better leader?) ;)

I wasn't being serious, hence the smilie. I was however being serious when I said "that doesn't mean he was any good at it".

I know - I was agreeing with you....

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 Jul 2009 11:23

Dirk Gently
Wycombe Royal
Dirk Gently A great team doesn't need a great leader - and a great leader doesn''t magically make a crap team successful.

I know - I was agreeing with you....

Were you? I think I need to get that eye sight test booked sooner than I thought.........

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Jul 2009 11:27

Dirk Gently A great team doesn't need a great leader - and a great leader doesn''t magically make a crap team successful.

Sorry dirk. A great team has a great leader at it's heart. A great leader can make a crap team better. Name me a great team with a crap captain?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Jul 2009 11:40

Royal With Cheese

Sorry dirk. A great team has a great leader at it's heart. A great leader can make a crap team better. Name me a great team with a crap captain?

There aren't any - because a great team doesn't usually have or need a leader - the players within it are all leaders.

Perhaps the question that I'll pass back to you ought to be "Name me a great team which only had one leader - a leader who was responsible for making that team great?"

No arguments that a great leader can make a crap team better - but that leader alone can't make it great!

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Jul 2009 23:14

Dirk Gently
Royal With Cheese

There aren't any - because a great team doesn't usually have or need a leader - the players within it are all leaders.

Perhaps the question that I'll pass back to you ought to be "Name me a great team which only had one leader - a leader who was responsible for making that team great?"

No arguments that a great leader can make a crap team better - but that leader alone can't make it great!

Martin Johnson?

A leader, by definition, leads on the pitch and is the focal point of the team. With a multitude of leaders you could fall into the "Too many chiefs and not enough indians" trap.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Jul 2009 09:23

Following the discussion in the last few posts I have the obvious solution to the Bikey problem.

Make him Captain.

The responsibility would improve his concentration and hopefully cut-out the more rash and irresponsible side of his temperament.

It ain't gonna happen of course but Captain Bikey would make some good headlines as well.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 22 Jul 2009 09:39

Royal Rother Following the discussion in the last few posts I have the obvious solution to the Bikey problem.

Make him Captain.

The responsibility would improve his concentration and hopefully cut-out the more rash and irresponsible side of his temperament.

It ain't gonna happen of course but Captain Bikey would make some good headlines as well.

Admit it, you thought of this bit first and the rest is just an excuse to get it in.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Jul 2009 09:56

Bikey as Captain would be interesting. Direct the passion!

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 22 Jul 2009 10:27

would love to see him captain

Wokingham via Waterloo

by Wokingham via Waterloo » 22 Jul 2009 13:26

I'd love to see Captain Bikey if we could get Hissing Sidwell back on loan.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Jul 2009 18:01

recipie for disaster IMO.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Jul 2009 18:04

I think you'll find Bikey is undefeated as captain

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 28 Jul 2009 11:36

considering all his friendly appearances does it seem you were all wrong on BR's thoughts and plans for him?

or are we still not taking anything from the friendlys at this stage?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Jul 2009 12:15

Over the years there have been "bad boys" who have been changed by the responsibility of becoming Captain

(so, of course, I can't think of ONE, dammit)

Can anyone think of a bad boy who was tried as Captain and it made things worse
either for the player's disciplinary record or for the team as a whole?

Second point (and no offense intended to any player) but how bright is Bikey (I don't have a clue)
and does a football team captain need to be bright?

Third point, what's his English like, is he a talker/shouter?

Fourth point. We lacked passion last year except for Bikey, and we need more of that. At his best he's a roaring lion
with a hear the size of Thatcham and he can drive us on.

IF he was tried as Captain and played his best game 50% more and didn't get silly cards we would have the big boys
banging on our door. I think he could be a top-six-of-the Premiership player at the very least.

He might NOT become that. Some players keep blowing it, but some grow up and he IS still a kid, just 24.

He could have 6-7-8-9-10 years yet as a centre-back and become a legend for us, (or move up to a bigger club.)

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 28 Jul 2009 16:25

juanpablo considering all his friendly appearances does it seem you were all wrong on BR's thoughts and plans for him?

shop window???

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 28 Jul 2009 16:35

Harpers So Solid Crew
juanpablo considering all his friendly appearances does it seem you were all wrong on BR's thoughts and plans for him?

shop window???

For the Chelsea game, perhaps. For the others, I'm not sure scouts would have even known where we were.

382 posts