What happens when managers betray Reading

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

What happens when managers betray Reading

by rhroyal » 01 Aug 2009 00:30

I haven't been on here for a while and I may have missed certain threads. However, I'm just making the observation that both McGhee and Pardew betrayed this club to move onto "bigger" things. In both cases, their move away would have been reasonably understandable had they not both been filled with lies, deceit and, in Pardew's base, a pure breach of the laws.

Well, how's it going for them now? After Pardew's brief success at West Ham, he's now been appointed at a bankrupted side a division below us, who will also start on -10 points. As for Mark McGhee, who has NEVER been able to get over the fact that Reading FC have moved further forward than he has (read some of his interviews, most notably one after we thrashed Brighton 5-1), he has taken a job with little or no prospects of winning any domestic trophies. To add to that, he had just lost his first game 5-1, destroying all hope of European football, a potential silver lining.

When you add to that the playing careers of the likes of Sonko, Shorey, Kitson, Little, even Sidwell, the message is clear. NO PLAYER OR MANAGER IS BIGGER THAN THEIR CLUB. Whatever the size. A lot of respect seems to have been taken out of football, and these cases are very satisfying in the light of this. Here's to a poor Real Madrid career for Ronaldo, and equally to Kevin Doyle flourishing at Wolves due to the constant humility and hard work he gave this club.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: What happens when managers betray Reading

by readingbedding » 01 Aug 2009 00:32

Good observation.
I mean McGhee only 'betrayed' us about 14 odd years ago.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Aug 2009 00:34

yes,

but he (Doyle) moved on to a (at least currently) bigger club

A Premiership one

Pards and McGoo had the same enticements

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 01 Aug 2009 00:37

Like I said, Pardew's and McGhee's moves would have been understandable had they not asserted their loyalty to the media before taking all their words back/breaching their contract and resigning as opposed to waiting for a legitimate approach approved by the club. In both cases respect between the guilty partied and the club and fans were utterly undermined, and as a consequence you can't compate either scenario with Doyle's move to Wolves.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Aug 2009 00:50

Doyler signed a thirty year contract with us to show his loyalty (in fact he didn't ..but you know what i mean)..he is now a Wolves player despite what he said at that time, when the skies were blue .

McGoo has faded into history....despite him giving a kick up the arris that Reading needed.....that in fact helped kick-start the success that we enjoy now (bearing in mind...these were Elm Park days)

Pards?....well yes...it hurt the 6000 that turned up for "PANTS DAY" but look what he inherited, and look what he ended up doing with it.

Betrayal??

Just how many fans (the folk that matter) were they betraying?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Aug 2009 00:58

for me Mcghee was the biggest waste - he squandered his opportunity by basically moving from reading too soon - I believe he would have got us up in 95 - and then p*ssed off from leicester to wolves (perennial losers for "a club that size") just for the money. After that he's treated as dirty by football - and also never spent any time at a club to put roots down and really learn and develop his trade. An absolute waste of a potentially really good manager.

Pardew on the other hand - mediocre manager who had a lot of money in Div2 to spend to get promotion. Shown up since as not very clever.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Aug 2009 01:01

It might have been a little ambiguous but I'm sure the o/p was actually in support of Doyle.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 Aug 2009 01:15

and here is hoping Sidwell (like Doyle) gets the breaks this season.

He moved on...he laid out his stall prior to the move...but he never bottled a challenge until the day he went.

Hunty is a debatable case

Doyle hadn't hit the onion bag for a long time prior to his transfer

For me..........having read some of the denegrations of (the very successful) Steve Coppell by folk who should know better

It is no bloody wonder that our previous managers have sought that greener land called betrayal

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 Aug 2009 02:04

readingbedding Good observation.

And we will still be giving him grief 14 years from now! Just shows the grass is not always greener on the other side. I believe had Mcghee stayed we would have up automaticly that season and he would have been one of the most sort after managers. Bruce Rioch got the Arsenal job after Bolton beat us in the play off final. Whose to say he wouldn't have got it had he stayed? No Reading fan would have begrudged him that job?

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 01 Aug 2009 07:28

"Betray" - sweet baby cheeses. What next? Stoning him if he ever appears in Reading? Get over it. It's a job.

smiler62

by smiler62 » 01 Aug 2009 10:14

Come on..the punishment should fit the crime...

Stoning is far too mild :lol:

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 01 Aug 2009 10:26

Exactly the same bitterness is being shown to Rodgers by Watford fans. Funny that!

Cookie

by Cookie » 01 Aug 2009 19:03

rhroyal I haven't been on here for a while and I may have missed certain threads. However, I'm just making the observation that both McGhee and Pardew betrayed this club to move onto "bigger" things. In both cases, their move away would have been reasonably understandable had they not both been filled with lies, deceit and, in Pardew's base, a pure breach of the laws.

Well, how's it going for them now? After Pardew's brief success at West Ham, he's now been appointed at a bankrupted side a division below us, who will also start on -10 points. As for Mark McGhee, who has NEVER been able to get over the fact that Reading FC have moved further forward than he has (read some of his interviews, most notably one after we thrashed Brighton 5-1), he has taken a job with little or no prospects of winning any domestic trophies. To add to that, he had just lost his first game 5-1, destroying all hope of European football, a potential silver lining.

When you add to that the playing careers of the likes of Sonko, Shorey, Kitson, Little, even Sidwell, the message is clear. NO PLAYER OR MANAGER IS BIGGER THAN THEIR CLUB. Whatever the size. A lot of respect seems to have been taken out of football, and these cases are very satisfying in the light of this. Here's to a poor Real Madrid career for Ronaldo, and equally to Kevin Doyle flourishing at Wolves due to the constant humility and hard work he gave this club.

You're right you should never forget. :lol:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Aug 2009 09:44

Jackson Corner
readingbedding Good observation.

And we will still be giving him grief 14 years from now! Just shows the grass is not always greener on the other side. I believe had Mcghee stayed we would have up automaticly that season and he would have been one of the most sort after managers. Bruce Rioch got the Arsenal job after Bolton beat us in the play off final. Whose to say he wouldn't have got it had he stayed? No Reading fan would have begrudged him that job?

You will, I can't be arsed.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 03 Aug 2009 08:48

Agent Balti "Betray" - sweet baby cheeses. What next? Stoning him if he ever appears in Reading? Get over it. It's a job.

This .

BetROFLay, tbh tbf

15 posts   •   Page 1 of 1