What the Papers Say: Season 09/10 Previews

153 posts
I was there at Elm Park

Re: What the Papers Say: Season 09/10 Previews

by I was there at Elm Park » 03 Aug 2009 18:40

yappy Ok, did my research.

Leeds relegated from Prem 2003/4 season.
1st season in Championship finished 5th, followed by relegation the next season.

Leicester relegated from Prem also in 2003/4 season.
1st season finished 16th, then 19th, followed by relegation the next season.

Southampton relegated from Prem in 2004/5 season.
1st season finished 12th, then 6th, then 20th, followed by relegation the subsequent season.

Norwich also relegated from Prem in 2004/5 season.
1st season finished 9th, then 16th, then 17th, followed by relegation the subsequent season.

Charlton relegated from Prem 2006/2007 season.
1st season finished 11th, followed by relegation the next season.

Yes nobody is immune, but struggling in the first season is quite rare (even though I am surprised only Leeds managed a top six finish in their first season down!)

Didn't Leeds finish 14th in 2004/2005?

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 03 Aug 2009 18:48

I was there at Elm Park

1st season in Championship finished 5th, followed by relegation the next season.

1st season finished 12th, then 6th, then 20th, followed by relegation the subsequent season.

1st season finished 9th, then 16th, then 17th, followed by relegation the subsequent season.

Yes nobody is immune, but struggling in the first season is quite rare (even though I am surprised only Leeds managed a top six finish in their first season down!)

Noticeable that not one made an immediate return to the top flight (and we are now included in that stat). A second season at least in the Championship awaits the Barcodes.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 03 Aug 2009 19:04

brendywendy myopic......ness

Myopia.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Aug 2009 19:21

Ian Royal Royalee, you spout so much toss abou Coppell it's unbelievable. You simply are incapable of rational and dispassionate thought once you have made your mind up about something. Which is a crying shame, because when you talk about things that you haven't just arbitrarily decided your massive bias is correct about, you talk some pretty good sense.

Your earlier piece Royalee where you refer to other clubs
Sheffield United champions for a start - they've lost 4 of their best players and brought in expensive shit. Obviously it's to be expected that some will predict we'll finish midtable because they don't know about our youngsters and just how good a players we have which Coppell simply refused to use due to his sort-sightedness. Forest have signed a couple of players but nothing to set the world alight yet they have them 5th with us 10th? That amused me, we will see about that on Saturday.

Leicester have a couple of half decent individuals but to say they'll finish so high on the back of Matty Fryatt who has so far been a failure at Championship level is a bit of a nonsense, although I think they'll be about 10th. Middlesbrough won't finish in the top 2 as long as Southgate's at the club and they're relying on Leroy Lita - you'dve thought they learn their lesson in the past with egos like Mido instead of taking tossers like him on but apparently not. They've got a couple of young players but won't create anything now Downing's gone and the spine of their team's very weak.

As much as I'd fall about laughing if Newcastle nearly got relegated, after a bad start I think they'll pick up - their players aren't that bad overall. Doncaster won't finish above us and to suggest they will is pretty funny in itself and Cardiff always bottle it and won't make 4th.

Is really very sensible.

We all know that you have the hump with Coppell. We accept that. Please, give it a rest and continue to enlighten us all with stuff like the above.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 03 Aug 2009 19:27

Ark Royal Noticeable that not one made an immediate return to the top flight (and we are now included in that stat). A second season at least in the Championship awaits the Barcodes.

Although some clubs have done that. Birmingham last year, sure West Brom and possibly Sunderland have both done it too.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Aug 2009 19:28

Wizard
Ark Royal Noticeable that not one made an immediate return to the top flight (and we are now included in that stat). A second season at best in the Championship awaits the Barcodes.

Although some clubs have done that. Birmingham last year, sure West Brom and possibly Sunderland have both done it too.

I think that you will find that it is more the exception than the rule.

yappy

by yappy » 03 Aug 2009 19:36

I was there at Elm Park

Sorry you are right, must've missed that somehow. Finished 5th the season after that, and relegation the season after that. That means none of them managed a top six finish in their first season in the Championship, and they've all ended up in League One. Considering we finished top six in our first season down, does that mean were immune?? :wink:

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 03 Aug 2009 19:42

yappy Considering we finished top six in our first season down, does that mean were immune??

No. It means we finished in the top six in our first season down.

Since relegation from the Prem, Coventry have not managed a top 6 finish once.

The Silk

by The Silk » 03 Aug 2009 19:46

Coppell is the greatest achiever i have seen since following the club which is shorter than some but longer than most on here.

He has maintained successful spells better than any other manager i have seen and seemed able to prevent the team/squad from becoming uncomplacent and retaining focus to ensure results week in week out.

my only bug bear is that when things were not so good he was unable to find the one result in a run of 6-10 matches that would have made a serious difference to a season as we have seen over the past two seasons. Is that a bad manager? the answer is probably yes!

Whether this was down to tactics, selection or man management is unknown and pure conjecture.

But what Coppell was able to do was to provide me with success and history that i often thought possible but was too afraid that "little Reading" could achieve.

Are we Little Reading now?

I dont think so. What Coppell has done is put RFC in the public eye and onto the map.

This may be more obvious here in North Wales where there are only 4 teams supported, MU, MC, LFC and the toffees but now a Royals shirt is recognised whereas 10 years ago it was not and i thank him for that!

The Silk

by The Silk » 03 Aug 2009 19:47

Sorry for going off topic!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Aug 2009 12:03

rabidbee
brendywendy myopic......ness

Myopia.

fanks

as a sufferer, i should have known that!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 04 Aug 2009 12:07

I think 10th for us is a very fair prediction. Where are the goals going to come from?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Aug 2009 12:09

soopa david nugent you foolol!

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 04 Aug 2009 12:10

FiNeRaIn I think 10th for us is a very fair prediction. Where are the goals going to come from?

I think BR is holding out for a lot of 1-0 wins this season.

We just need to be a bit patient - this signing shows that the intent is being backed up by action, and BR's stated intent was two defenders and a replacement for Doyle.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Aug 2009 12:15

FiNeRaIn I think 10th for us is a very fair prediction. Where are the goals going to come from?

Long, N Hunt, Church, Davies, Matejovsky, Robson-Kanu and Kebe if he improves, plus we'll probably sign a striker.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 04 Aug 2009 12:18

Royalee Good managers aren't out of work or managing League One sides over 20 years into their managerial careers as a general rule. You really are quite dense.

You stupid idiot. Coppell chose to take a break and is out of work as you put it out of choice.
If BR manages to take Reading higher than 8th in the Premiership during his time at the club then he will have done marvellously well. Personally I very much doubt he will but lets wait and see.
For you to constantly ridicule Coppell (who if you recall was voted Manager of the Year for two successive seasons by his peers) when he achieved far far more than any other Manager in our 138 year history just shows you up as a complete fool.
Coppell was by no means perfect but many of us appreciate the golden period between 2005 and 2007 that may never be surpassed during our lifetimes.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Aug 2009 12:20

royalee is a low grade WUM

and i for one have decided to rise above his moronic ramblings from now on

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 04 Aug 2009 12:23

Royalee

Long, N Hunt, Church, Davies, Matejovsky, Robson-Kanu and Kebe if he improves, plus we'll probably sign a striker.

Na to most of them. We need to sign a striker.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 04 Aug 2009 12:26

FiNeRaIn
Royalee

Na to most of them. We need to sign a striker.

Must admit I agree with this, that list is hardly that awe inspiring in terms of goals. Noel Hunt and to an extent Long have done well in this league but ? over Hunt's fitness still,the others have loads to prove yet. There isn't a stand out centre forward on that list, much of a muchness Reading need to find one from somewhere.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Aug 2009 12:27

I wonder if Royalee realises Harper has a far superior scoring record to Matejovsky...

153 posts