Cigarette Anyone?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Cigarette Anyone?

by RoyalBlue » 05 Aug 2009 16:39

1960 I'm surprised that Tredder hasn't intervened here. These old photos shoot out of the water any ideas that we were the origional hoops and QPR the fake hoops. They started wearing green hoops in 1904 and blue hoops from 1927.

Evidence: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Queens_ ... angers.htm

So let's have no more talk about us being the original hoops please.

How completely bizarre that you should quote the above as supporting evidence whilst completely ignoring the following from the same site!!

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Reading/Reading.htm

I rest my case m'Lord!

Jimmy the Tree

by Jimmy the Tree » 05 Aug 2009 16:52

Arch
Jimmy the Tree
Arch Elm Park, of course. now Seahawk can see what our old ground was really like.

That's not Elm Park, Picture says 1894-95, we didn't move into EP untill 1896. Probably Caversham.

:lol: Are you interested in having a debate about this?

You're right, could be anywhere. Add some corrugated iron, lumps of concrete and a trough overflowing with p1ss, and we're there.

I do like how little EP changed from the 1920's photo's. Happy days

STAR TRAVEL

by STAR TRAVEL » 05 Aug 2009 17:47

If you are interested in looking at some old Reading photos & postcards, both team & individual ones dating back to the early 1900's. STAR is privileged to own such a collection. They belonged to a lifeling supporter Mr R Parsons and were very kindly given to STAR by his family when he passed away. They are known as The Parsons Collection. We have identified and catalogued most of them, the catalogue can be viewed in the STAR HQ. The originals are very securely stored away. We can do prints off them if required.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 05 Aug 2009 18:14

Thaumagurist*
strap
1960 I'm surprised that Tredder hasn't intervened here. These old photos shoot out of the water any ideas that we were the origional hoops and QPR the fake hoops. They started wearing green hoops in 1904 and blue hoops from 1927.

Evidence: http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Queens_ ... angers.htm

So let's have no more talk about us being the original hoops please.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. PLEASE go along to Amazon and order yourself a copy of Alan Sedunary's "Heaven on Earth". Open the book to page 9.

Or even check out the first picture in this book:

http://www.borders.co.uk/book/reading-f ... and/26384/

seahawk - you might be interested in buying this book, I'd recommend it. Lots of old pictures right up to 1997.

Thanks Spacey I will get on that asap.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Aug 2009 13:22

I've actually got a number of these cigarette cards, including that pictured. I also have some similar pictures on 'silks' (I think that's one at the bottom of Seahawk's post) that were issued by the cigarette companies. All courtesy of good old ebay!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 06 Aug 2009 13:30

The Cube

by The Cube » 09 Aug 2009 15:55

bobbybottler
Loving this one - any thoughts as to where it might have been taken?

I think you will find that it was taken at the Walkabout!!!!

To explain, the 1891/92 pre-season photo was taken in the garden at the back of Queens Hotel, Friar Street before the first home game. As the hotel was used as the club rooms until the decision to turn professional in June 1895 I'd say there's a very good chance that the above photo was also taken there. Some earlier team photos that were definitely taken at Queens Hotel have a hedge in the background, presumably with the photographer facing north or east, but this one could be the view to the south, and so showing the back of the hotel. (Incidentally, the photo really must be from 1894/95 as a couple of the players named seem to have been with us only for that season.)

As others have mentioned home games at the time were played at Caversham Cricket Ground so that is the next most likely place. However, the background really doesn't look right for that location.

To put this into a modern context, the Queens Hotel was knocked down (I think at some point in the 1920s) and replaced by a Post Office. That building is still there but is now Yates' Wine Lodge. Part of the garden at the back is now the Walkabout. The pitch at Caversham Cricket Ground is now the part of Christchurch Meadows opposite Elizabeth House.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 10 Aug 2009 10:13

That's fascinating and really interesting, Cube. Thanks for that one.