The perspective thread.

230 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: The perspective thread.

by winchester_royal » 16 Aug 2009 00:19

PEARCEY Totally agree RB. I'm struggling to understand how such inexperienced players are ahead in the pecking order of much more experienced players.

Maybe because BR believes in picking players based on quality rather than experience.

It's important to find a mix, but refusing to play youngsters because other players have more experience is silly.

Archies Volley II

by Archies Volley II » 16 Aug 2009 00:23

RoyalBird Harps, Matejovsky and Hunt should be starting regularly with Davies and Church/Robson-Kanu being given the odd start.

Exactly, and I am sure they will be when fit!

We needed a fresh start after last season - we all wanted some of the younger players to be given a chance and thought that BR would do this. Most people seem happy to have got rid of the experienced S. Hunt and we were ever going to be able to keep hold of Doyle so changes to the "normal" starting 11 were obvuously going to happen. However, due to injuries in pre-season or left over from last season BR has almost been forced to start all the kids. Don't forget Mills was injured for Doncaster and has hardly played any pre-season footy either.

I know Harper and Matejovsky started in the cup but that was against a very weak team and many people who were there said they both looked short of match sharpness.

Just because Sky claimed we were starting with such a young team purely out of choice doesn't mean they are correct!

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 Aug 2009 00:26

Gunnarsson?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 16 Aug 2009 00:27

winchester_royal
PEARCEY Totally agree RB. I'm struggling to understand how such inexperienced players are ahead in the pecking order of much more experienced players.

Maybe because BR believes in picking players based on quality rather than experience.

It's important to find a mix, but refusing to play youngsters because other players have more experience is silly.

Of course. Are you suggesting our experienced players are not of the requisite quality?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Aug 2009 00:29

PEARCEY
winchester_royal

Of course. Are you suggesting our experienced players are not of the requisite quality?

Not at all. I was just picking up on the 'I'm struggling to understand how such inexperienced players are ahead in the pecking order of much more experienced players.' quote.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Aug 2009 00:30

PEARCEY
winchester_royal

well at the rate they are being sold there wont be any left

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Aug 2009 00:32

Platypuss Gunnarsson?

exactly - you want a DM to sit in front of the defence who won't go further than the half way line and doesn't give the ball away?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 Aug 2009 00:33

leon
Platypuss Gunnarsson?

exactly - you want a DM to sit in front of the defence who won't go further than the half way line and doesn't give the ball away?

Especially when they're a six-footer who knows how to tackle and head a football.

Archies Volley II

by Archies Volley II » 16 Aug 2009 00:33

Platypuss Gunnarsson?

Yes - I would have been tempted but most of last season he seemed to be far more effective off the bench and seemed to be out of puff by 60 mins when he started.

But, 60 mins of him replaced by some youthfull legs may well have been a better option.

Not saying mistakes were not made - just pointing out that when we have been told that players (other than Gunnar) are not starting as they are deemed not to be fit enough it is stupid for people to say the management are leaving them out for other reasons.

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 16 Aug 2009 00:51

winchester_royal

Not all of the time. Just because you perform well in training doesn't necessarily mean it'll translate onto the pitch against Newcastle and Middlesborough etc. He may have a lot of nerves when it comes to debuting for his club he 'graduated' from or starting against a big away club (particularly if it's their second start for Reading, as it was with Scott Davies), and therefore it would be fairly wise to give the experience player the start instead and then bring on the youngster as a sub. Rooney or Gerrard weren't thrown into starting team for Everton or Liverpool respectively, they were both being given substitute appearances before they became regulars in the first team. The same approach can be applied with our academy players surely?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Aug 2009 01:47

PEARCEY I'm struggling to understand how such inexperienced players are ahead in the pecking order of much more experienced players.

It might have something to do with the dire performances of the more experienced players and their manager over the last 2 seasons.

Without that, not only would most of todays players not have been playing in our first team, most of the experienced players left out would still be playing in the top flight.

It was obvious from the moment BR announced his team to face Forest that he was picking youngsters by choice and leaving the seasoned pros on the bench but the usual "know alls" on here refused to accept it.

It also seemed to be lost on them when I called Tuesday's side the "reserves"

BR clearly has a strategy and he won't be changing tack after 2 league games just because we lost away to Newcastle.

I'm sure they said on SKY that we've played 6 league games at St James' and lost them all....................hows that for perspective :|

I admit to being surprised that none of Tuesday's new faces were deemed worthy of a spot today and most surprised that Bignall didn't even travel. I completely agree that Kebe and Church were our biggest problems because they offered little support for Long.

I've heard great things about our young welshman but have yet to see a good performance from him.

Could James Harper be the cement that binds this young team together? Maybe but I don't remember quite the same amount of whinging when a defence packed with HNA? favourites let in 7 at Portsmouth. You all just decided to blame Gunnarsson instead :P

Believe me, given the choice of watching todays young team being outplayed or, the last one Coppell took up there fairing no better despite having shed loads more experience, I'd swap this evenings armchair for the air fare 2 years ago every time.

It took 2 years for Coppell to leave from the time he stopped being effective in his job and even then he left on his own terms so I'm happy to give Rodgers more than 2 games to sort the mess he left behind.

I like Cisse but Mills looked a class act so I hope he gets the nod very soon whilst Church needs resting for someone who can be more of a threat in the final third and an experienced head up front looks a real necessity but apart from that....................get a grip!!!

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 16 Aug 2009 02:42

Woodcote Royal
PEARCEY I'm struggling to understand how such inexperienced players are ahead in the pecking order of much more experienced players.

It might have something to do with the dire performances of the more experienced players and their manager over the last 2 seasons.

Without that, not only would most of todays players not have been playing in our first team, most of the experienced players left out would still be playing in the top flight.

It was obvious from the moment BR announced his team to face Forest that he was picking youngsters by choice and leaving the seasoned pros on the bench but the usual "know alls" on here refused to accept it.

BR clearly has a strategy and he won't be changing tack after 2 league games just because we lost away to Newcastle.

I'm sure they said on SKY that we've played 6 league games at St James' and lost them all....................hows that for perspective :|

I admit to being surprised that none of Tuesday's new faces were deemed worthy of a spot today and most surprised that Bignall didn't even travel. I completely agree that Kebe and Church were our biggest problems because they offered little support for Long.

I've heard great things about our young welshman but have yet to see a good performance from him.

Could James Harper be the cement that binds this young team together? Maybe but I don't remember quite the same amount of whinging when a defence packed with HNA? favourites let in 7 at Portsmouth. You all just decided to blame Gunnarsson instead :P

Believe me, given the choice of watching todays young team being outplayed or the last one Coppell took up there fairing no better despite having shed loads more experience, I'd swap this evenings armchair for the air fare 2 years ago every time.

It took 2 years for Coppell to leave from the time he stopped being effective in his job and even then he left on his own terms so I'm happy to give Rodgers more than 2 games to sort the mess he left behind.

I like Cisse but Mills looked a class act so I hope he gets the nod very soon whilst Church needs resting for someone who can be more of a threat in the final third and an experienced head up front looks a real necessity but apart from that....................get a grip!!!

So because we have Rogers instead of Coppell, does that mean a totally different team is needed to get his strategy across? Sorry, but I don't think that should be the case. The experienced players like Harper should be able to adapt to his style, it doesn't warrant being dropped to the bench because they were a key part of the old regime and therefore were possibly part of some dire performances. As I said before, and I most will agree, if we are to get the best out of these youngsters, it would be better to have the experienced people starting and then being replaced by the youth, with the odd occassion of it being the other way around. Admittedly with the addition of hindsight to back me up further, the Newcastle game was one where experience should rule over youth I'm afraid.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 16 Aug 2009 02:59

I think in this particular instance, Rodgers relative naivety as a manager has been laid plain for all to see - against that midfield put out by Newcastle today, few managers would have failed to include their Czech international midfielder, or the club's most experienced midfielder.

His commitment to the younger players is admirable, but in this case misguided, and he needs to strike a balance.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 16 Aug 2009 03:09

I am on the anti-Rodgers side in this case.

Far too high a reliance on youngsters. We need Harps, Hunt and Marek in.

The youngsters will come good and I applaud the passing style but, like everything in life, it needs time.

-1 to you Mr. Rodgers. Let's hope you have a way to correct your mistakes.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Aug 2009 03:28

RoyalBird
Woodcote Royal

Believe me, given the choice of watching todays young team being outplayed or the last one Coppell took up there fairing no better despite having shed loads more experience, I'd swap this evenings armchair for the air fare 2 years ago every time.

So because we have Rogers instead of Coppell, does that mean a totally different team is needed to get his strategy across? Sorry, but I don't think that should be the case. The experienced players like Harper should be able to adapt to his style, it doesn't warrant being dropped to the bench because they were a key part of the old regime and therefore were possibly part of some dire performances. As I said before, and I most will agree, if we are to get the best out of these youngsters, it would be better to have the experienced people starting and then being replaced by the youth, with the odd occassion of it being the other way around. Admittedly with the addition of hindsight to back me up further, the Newcastle game was one where experience should rule over youth I'm afraid.

It's because we had 2 years of abject failure under Coppell that we've got a new manager.

Coppell always lost at Newcastle and he couldn't even win any of his last 8 homes with the failed favorites that prevented so many of the current side breaking into the team yet, after one defeat his pathetic fan club want a return to the cr@p we've had to endure for the last 2 seasons.................................I wish he'd hurry up and get another job so that those who are getting withdrawal symptoms can fcuk off and join him.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Aug 2009 03:47

cmonurz I think in this particular instance, Rodgers relative naivety as a manager has been laid plain for all to see -

Really?

I'd say Coppell's naivety was exposed over the last 2 seasons in trying wherever possible to hang onto his 106 team and the result is the side Brendan Rogers fielded today.

Thanks to Coppell, I believe the decision has been taken to start from scratch and if this young side gets to the Prem by the end of next season we might, under the right management, be able to establish ourselves this time.

We need to make sure that we steer well clear of relegation this term but one defeat away to Newcastle will not set any alarm bells ringing while we give this impressive bunch of youngsters their chance to make the grade........................I believe most of them will and I'm thoroughly looking forward to it.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 16 Aug 2009 05:55

Southampton played kids last season. What happened to them? 2 league games and we have not tested a goalkeeper apart from our own. Today looked like a prem tean against a Champioship team, sadly we are in the same division.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 16 Aug 2009 06:06

Jackson Corner Southampton played kids last season. What happened to them? 2 league games and we have not tested a goalkeeper apart from our own. Today looked like a prem tean against a Champioship team, sadly we are in the same division.

The same Soton that we failed to beat tho.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 16 Aug 2009 06:51

brendywendy like arsenal ,
but without the quality :cry:

And that is nail and head. My Gooner mate - from the bits he was watching between the Goodison romp - said exactly the same. But he also said that the Arse don't have a goalscorer.... and neither do RFC.

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 16 Aug 2009 08:14

Dick Habbin's hairdo
brendywendy like arsenal ,
but without the quality :cry:

And that is nail and head. My Gooner mate - from the bits he was watching between the Goodison romp - said exactly the same. But he also said that the Arse don't have a goalscorer.... and neither do RFC.

Thats what we need
We need a fairly experienced striker who can bang in the goals but this isnt tommy smith, smith would play better on the wing of a front 3.

230 posts