NO LONGER A RUMOUR - Bikey signs for Burnley

382 posts
Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Bikey to Marseille ... Burnley

by Stooper » 17 Aug 2009 14:14

LOL @ SSN showing the shirt incident as the footage for his signing.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Aug 2009 14:16

rg6royal
Focher ah well another one to add the 'leave Reading and i totally f**k up my career' list.

Shame really Bikey was probably the most suited to Rodgers style of all our defenders, and if you watched Pearce on Sat you've got to worry about how many goals will go in this season.

I'm not worried about Pearce at all tbh. He's been excellent, but didn't have a great game on Saturday. Big deal, he's human. On the other hand I'll like to see Armstrong back in the side as he is solid defensively compared to Bertrand who is more attack minded.

'greed

maybe stick bertrand in front of him in place of kebe

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 17 Aug 2009 14:18

brendywendy
rg6royal
Focher ah well another one to add the 'leave Reading and i totally f**k up my career' list.

Shame really Bikey was probably the most suited to Rodgers style of all our defenders, and if you watched Pearce on Sat you've got to worry about how many goals will go in this season.

I'm not worried about Pearce at all tbh. He's been excellent, but didn't have a great game on Saturday. Big deal, he's human. On the other hand I'll like to see Armstrong back in the side as he is solid defensively compared to Bertrand who is more attack minded.

'greed

Could be worth a shout. As at the momment, it's about experimenting. And it's clear for all to see Bertrand is more attack minded. Although he has made some really solid tackles in the last 2 games. Armstrong must be rather gutted tbh. Player of the season last season and he isn't in the team!

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 17 Aug 2009 14:22

rg6royal

Im worried about Pearce. Im not saying he's crap, but he is way overated based soley on the fact he is an Academy product. He is not a patch on Bikey, who is still developing as a player. Getting rid of dead wood i dont have a problem with, but this transfer i do. I fail to see how this deal can benefit Reading.

Agreed about Armstrong.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 17 Aug 2009 14:23

Great news, glad he's gone. Good defender yes, but stroppy trouble maker as well. Burnley is a terrible choice of club though.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Aug 2009 14:23

brendywendy clearing dead wood>>>>>>>>>chopping down the whole tree

Hardly dead wood surely?
He might be erratic but we all know that there is ability which hopefully a new manager might have harnessed.
The chopping and changing of players is now reaching Redknapp proportions............one slight difference is that we don't bring the same number in.
There are selling clubs and there are selling clubs but what is happening at our club is starting to look silly unless of course we see 3 or 4 new exciting players joining within the next two weeks.
Are Harper and Marek still with us?

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Aug 2009 14:40

sky say Rodgers desperately wants to keep hold of him but he wants to go to get in the world cup squad.

The world cup next year compounded with us not going up is not doing us too many favours.

cue the 'no shit sherlock' replies

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Aug 2009 14:41

I read Brendy's comment as Bikey etc being the whole tree.

To those who said we don't have to sell...Bikey wanted to leave. He wasn't keen on being here for Championship football last season and you can bet he was even keener to get back to top flight football for this one, which is a World Cup season afterall.

It's not worth keeping players that don't want to be here.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 17 Aug 2009 14:46

Hoop Blah I read Brendy's comment as Bikey etc being the whole tree.

To those who said we don't have to sell...Bikey wanted to leave. He wasn't keen on being here for Championship football last season and you can bet he was even keener to get back to top flight football for this one, which is a World Cup season afterall.

Take your point, but you cant just sell every player who says he wants to leave.

As for Bikey, if he thinks spending a season at Burnley is going to improve his world cup chances then he's a fckng retard.

braindead

by braindead » 17 Aug 2009 14:58

Burnley fan here

Don't think we are a 'Terrible club' as has been quoted on here - OK we will undoubtably struggle this year, but so will several clubs.

Defensively we struggled last season because we lacked a powerful Centrehalf with pace and Bikey certainly fits that bill, and will no doubt be paired with our other new centre half David Edgar from Newcastle.

Personally I thought Bikey was excellent against us in the three games I saw him last season (bar his moment of madness in the play-offs).

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Aug 2009 15:07

Tony Le Mesmer

Take your point, but you cant just sell every player who says he wants to leave.

As for Bikey, if he thinks spending a season at Burnley is going to improve his world cup chances then he's a fckng retard.

Playing in the Premiership for anyone will help him keep his place in their World Cup squad. Why wouldn't it?

As for selling players who don't want to be here, Coppell was able to keep them on for another year with new contracts and the fact it was one more year together to put right the wrong of relegation. The club took a bit of a gamble on giving out those contracts and maybe not selling as many of the want away players and look what happened.

Rodgers wants to keep the better players, but we've all seen what a de-motivated player plays like, and if they don't want to be here now is a great time to get rid of them. We're at the start of a new era and Rodgers needs everyone pulling together to get the era off to a decent start.

braindead

by braindead » 17 Aug 2009 15:10

Tony Le Mesmer

I am guessing that Bikey having a good game against, for example Wayne Rooney or Fernando Torres in the Premier League , would help his World Cup ambitions more than a good game against Jon Parkin or Shola Ameobi in the Championship

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 17 Aug 2009 15:29

Or, more likely, Torres and Rooney will make him look sh1t?

If he wants to improve his chances of playing in big Internationals, not shoving over Medics and imploding in big matches would be a good start.

Ive not got anything against Burnley, but i dont really see this as a good move for Reading or Bikey.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 17 Aug 2009 15:41

Will be disappointed if Bikey goes - he has great potential. I hope we get a 40% sell on clause in case he becomes a star. Wonder if we will buy another CD to replace him or go with what we have and rely on loans if necessary.

I am usually an RTG but I am concerned about the relative lack of experience we have left. Survival is beginning to look like the target for this season.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Aug 2009 15:41

Victor Meldrew
brendywendy clearing dead wood>>>>>>>>>chopping down the whole tree

Hardly dead wood surely?
He might be erratic but we all know that there is ability which hopefully a new manager might have harnessed.
The chopping and changing of players is now reaching Redknapp proportions............one slight difference is that we don't bring the same number in.
There are selling clubs and there are selling clubs but what is happening at our club is starting to look silly unless of course we see 3 or 4 new exciting players joining within the next two weeks.
Are Harper and Marek still with us?

sorry, you misunderstood/ i misexplained

i am now in the "weve cut down the whole tree camp"

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Aug 2009 15:42

brendywendy
rg6royal

'greed

Armstrong is the very epitomy of average. BR's system demands a fast, attacking full back. Armstrong is anything but.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Aug 2009 15:44

braindead Burnley fan here

Don't think we are a 'Terrible club' as has been quoted on here - OK we will undoubtably struggle this year, but so will several clubs.

Defensively we struggled last season because we lacked a powerful Centrehalf with pace and Bikey certainly fits that bill, and will no doubt be paired with our other new centre half David Edgar from Newcastle.

Personally I thought Bikey was excellent against us in the three games I saw him last season (bar his moment of madness in the play-offs).

potential to be a top 4 player IMO- bar those red mists he gets
truly awesome, laid back-pacy-tank of a player, and i feel you have got away with a real real bargain
and this is a huge backwards step for our club IMO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Aug 2009 15:58

brendywendy

truly awesome, laid back-pacy-tank of a player, and i feel you have got away with a real real bargain

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's not the red mist moments that stop him from being a better player than he is currently, it's his all too frequent habit of switching off and seemingly forget what he's in the team to do.

Concentration, reliability and positioning are such crucial parts of being a good centre back but Bikey has plenty of moments where he lacks all three which is why Coppell didn't really trust him throughout his time with him. At the same time Bikey can be a fantastic defender in one-on-one situations where his strength and pace make him a match for anyone one physically. It's players with clever movement and a the ability to make the most of the space he allows them who will punish his lapses, and unfortunately the Premiership is pretty full of those players.

A player with so much potential, but I'll be amazed if he fulfils it because of what's between his two ears.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 17 Aug 2009 16:00

It's absolutely crazy to only have 3 recognised center backs in the squad, so I'm sure Rodgers will now to look replace Bikey. This is a massive loss to us as he's the only defender with geninue quality and pace, I agree with an earlier post that this season could be a relegation battle.

I'm going to stick a fiver on us to go down later.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Aug 2009 16:02

brendywendy

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Potential if he wasn't such a hothead. I'm as aware of Bikey's footballing ability as much as the next Reading fan, but he is not worth the risk when we already have Pearce, Mills, Cisse and Ingimarsson and can use the funds and no doubt he was on a decent wage which we can free up to bring in a striker. If he was that much of a loss to us then with all due respect to the fan on here, he would be signing for a bigger and better club than Burnley.

382 posts