Genuine Poll - Minimum season expectations

What you be happy to accept as the minimum level of success this season.....

Champions
3%
Promotion
4%
Play off spot
8%
Top Half finish
20%
Mid table finish
35%
Bottom half finish
24%
Relegation
6%

Total votes: 144
weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Genuine Poll - Minimum season expectations

by weybridgewanderer » 24 Aug 2009 12:36

i wasn;t referring to your post in particular

people honestly expect us to still make the play offs??

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 24 Aug 2009 12:38

not many!

but more than the one who still thinks well go up automatically

Corky341

by Corky341 » 24 Aug 2009 12:53

B.R. (it seems to me) has had very strict orders to bring on the Academy guys. I'm not too bothered about that, as long as it works. That might take 2 or 3 seasons. I'm prepared to wait. Mr Rodgers has his own style and needs to work on establishing a balanced team. Again, that'll take a while. Sir John is first and foremost a businessman. I trust him to run the budget for the club that will continue to trade in to the future. I would really hate to do a 'Bradford', 'Leeds' or a 'Swindon'. Mid table would do me. (and let's be honest, the older fans have seen a lot worse at Elm Park).

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 24 Aug 2009 12:59

Given the start we've had, I'm now happy to accept a mid-table or top-half finish. But, given this start, that's not where I think we'll finish.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Aug 2009 13:03

Avoid relegation and build/improve the team during the season so that we're in good shape to push for the top half the season after.

I expect the players to give 100% at all times and the manager to try something different when plan A isn't working.

I also expect us to sign a proven goalscorer before the transfer window closes.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 24 Aug 2009 13:26

I did think that mid-table would be my lowest expectation of this season and that we'd still be pushing for promotion. I've had to readjust that view in the last few weeks and now my lowest expectation is that we'll be bottom half of the table. I would be very unhappy if we were struggling against relegation though.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 24 Aug 2009 14:32

With the Stalinist purge that is going on and the Tommy Smith debacle, this all stinks of 87/88 and 97/98 again. Who the oxf*rd would want to come and play for us? I genuinely believe that we are going down this year. One place off the relegation spots would be a result.

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 24 Aug 2009 19:07

Mid table after a season of consolidation. Expect a bit of activity in the January transfer window, but mainly loans.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 24 Aug 2009 19:09

papereyes I see that Royalee got his vote in ...

:lol:

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 24 Aug 2009 19:10

Sarah Star I did think that mid-table would be my lowest expectation of this season and that we'd still be pushing for promotion. I've had to readjust that view in the last few weeks and now my lowest expectation is that we'll be bottom half of the table. I would be very unhappy if we were struggling against relegation though.

Thats how I see it....somwhere around 17th and 18th :|

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 24 Aug 2009 19:21

Ark Royal With the Stalinist purge that is going on and the Tommy Smith debacle, this all stinks of 87/88 and 97/98 again. Who the oxf*rd would want to come and play for us? I genuinely believe that we are going down this year. One place off the relegation spots would be a result.

Very reminiscent of 87/88 when the spine was sold and not adequately replaced. This time, the inadequate replacements starting arriving 2 years ago.

Truth be told, all this success has been too much to handle. We need to struggle and to be miserable. We need discord and discontent. We need the return of the gallows humour that has been forever associated with this club - apart from the last 6 years or so. Being successful is not the Reading way.

"Celebrate bad times come on!"

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 24 Aug 2009 19:42

PEARCEY
Sarah Star I did think that mid-table would be my lowest expectation of this season and that we'd still be pushing for promotion. I've had to readjust that view in the last few weeks and now my lowest expectation is that we'll be bottom half of the table. I would be very unhappy if we were struggling against relegation though.

Thats how I see it....somwhere around 17th and 18th :|

Though now we appear to have signed Tommy Smith, I've readjusted that back up a few places to mid-table again.

When I've seen him play I might readjust again.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 24 Aug 2009 20:40

Terminal Boardom
Ark Royal With the Stalinist purge that is going on and the Tommy Smith debacle, this all stinks of 87/88 and 97/98 again. Who the oxf*rd would want to come and play for us? I genuinely believe that we are going down this year. One place off the relegation spots would be a result.

Very reminiscent of 87/88 when the spine was sold and not adequately replaced. This time, the inadequate replacements starting arriving 2 years ago.

Truth be told, all this success has been too much to handle. We need to struggle and to be miserable. We need discord and discontent. We need the return of the gallows humour that has been forever associated with this club - apart from the last 6 years or so. Being successful is not the Reading way.

"Celebrate bad times come on!"

Not too miserable. A midweek trip to Macclesfield to see Chester beat Reading in the pissing rain was almost too terrible to bear.

And you were a sad enough pcunt to do it as well...

jonnyroyal1871

by jonnyroyal1871 » 24 Aug 2009 21:06

I remember that night, I stayed in the worlds cheapest B&B, £8!! Even then - its was in a woman's attic just round the corner. As I said in another thread, I kinda enjoyed those days..I wouldn't (and couldn't) do it again now, but maybe the next generation ought to be brought up the same way - maybe they may not have much choice, thinking about it...

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 24 Aug 2009 21:13

I started off in the home end for a laugh. It was so dead it was unbelievable. I was so bored after 20 minutes that I begged to be let into the sanctuary that was the away end. Bad move. It was even worse! Now, that was probably the most pointless trip I did. It was up there with a really tedious 0-0 away to Exeter on a Tuesday night.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 24 Aug 2009 21:15

The hotel owned/run by a 'biscuit' in Buxton, what a place to visit or stay at when in the darker regions of the 'upnorth' for footy matches against the likes of Stoke, Notts County and Forest et al. The meeting place I believe of Northern royals where 'Parky' attended a dinner in the dim and distant as the guest of honour..........happy days! :)

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 24 Aug 2009 21:28

Anywhere around 12-16 is about where I imagine we'll be...I know if I predicted every result then we'd be much higher (if that makes sense) but this is where I feel we were always bound to end up.

How anyone can realistically justify us to be Champions/Promoted/Play-Offs is really beyond me. There is no yardstick for the magnitude of changes of this kind that we've had at the club for anyone (apart from the serious RTG's who blindly think we're sliced bread every season) so how we can be up so high is woefully unrealistic.

old woman

by old woman » 24 Aug 2009 21:29

Frankly anywhere above Newcastle would be bliss for me- Up here in the frozen North the local radio commentator is getting right on my nerves - has Newcastle promoted already!!!! According to him Alan Smith being ticked off and not shown a red card was "common sense"
I would accept relegation if we took them with us!!!1

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 24 Aug 2009 22:15

weybridgewanderer i wasn;t referring to your post in particular

people honestly expect us to still make the play offs??

4 f*cking games.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 24 Aug 2009 23:12

Schards#2 From where we are right now, i'd accept staying up.

To have to make that statement two years after we finished eighth in the premiership is a testimony to the triumph of the brick by brick approach adopted by this club.

Have to go along with that really :cry:

EDIT: Currently 5 people have voted for relegation as their 'minimal acceptable level of success' for the season :| .
Last edited by floyd__streete on 24 Aug 2009 23:16, edited 2 times in total.