66%
No
34%

Total votes: 29
PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rogers must go? (POLL)

by PEARCEY » 25 Aug 2009 19:18

That might be true Ian but we have off-loaded a lot of players pre-season and Bikey as well so with a much thinner pay-roll and significant transfer income its not unreasonable for fans to expect some of that to be ploughed back into new signings.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Aug 2009 19:23

PEARCEY That might be true Ian but we have off-loaded a lot of players pre-season and Bikey as well so with a much thinner pay-roll and significant transfer income its not unreasonable for fans to expect some of that to be ploughed back into new signings.

Of course not, my point being that it is happening. Not as well as most would like obviously. I'm certainly not particularly impressed with the whole Tommy Smith saga and general lack of incoming players I think most of us would agree we need.

But as I've said, we've already spent a similar amount to previous season's total spending on one player. And we still have several days of one window and another one in January to go...

You've also got to take into account that the incoming transfer money isn't just sloshing around waiting to be spent. The club doesn't have money sitting around doing nothing. It has loans and debts which eat up all of that money easily.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Aug 2009 19:29

Ian Royal
PEARCEY That might be true Ian but we have off-loaded a lot of players pre-season and Bikey as well so with a much thinner pay-roll and significant transfer income its not unreasonable for fans to expect some of that to be ploughed back into new signings.

Of course not, my point being that it is happening. Not as well as most would like obviously. I'm certainly not particularly impressed with the whole Tommy Smith saga and general lack of incoming players I think most of us would agree we need.

But as I've said, we've already spent a similar amount to previous season's total spending on one player. And we still have several days of one window and another one in January to go...

You've also got to take into account that the incoming transfer money isn't just sloshing around waiting to be spent. The club doesn't have money sitting around doing nothing. It has loans and debts which eat up all of that money easily.

True but in any business you have to invest in quality. If you don't it goes tits up. Fully accept the Academy is one such investment but when you lose so much experience in one fell swoop you are going to struggle to adapt. In football you don't have too much time to complete that adaption.

Rodgers mistake so far has been to almost solely rely on the youngsters making it even harder to adapt. I hope the next few days sees some strengthening as by January we could really be in the mire.
Despite all of that he deserves a realistic period of time to get the club going back in the right direction. To suggest as some have that he be sacked right now is plain wrong and very unfair on him.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Aug 2009 19:37

Not going to argue with that.

We've desperately needed some of Harper, Matejovsky, NHunt, Armstrong & Ingimarsson to be fit and playing IMO.

Bringing through the youngsters is great, but you can't do it with an entire team at once and not have a very real danger of relegation. Davies, Church, Henry, Robson-Kanu, Bertrand, Long, Karacan, Siggurdsson & Pearce all need older heads around them IMO.

Rosenior and Kebe are two of the most experienced players to appear in the league for us so far. They aren't exactly what you'd call mentally strong now, are they? In fact I'd rather suggest completely the reverse.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Aug 2009 22:14

Ok, im a negative fan at times, but this is ridiculous. The manager isn't going anywhere, nor should he. If you want someone to blame...its maedsjki, fvck all spent on the team and that lies with him. Rogers has been here for all of 5 games and calls for his head are frankly embarrassing tbh.

southstand67

by southstand67 » 25 Aug 2009 22:15

I saw his interview when he was managing Watford and Reading played them that night. I thought that he was a bit full of himself, but then I'm always suspicious of people that big themselves up. Have to say it's not the best start is it? Let's hope it is just a matter of the team getting to know new tactics eh? If relegation looks likely at Christmas then surely he'd have to go?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 25 Aug 2009 22:16

The only redeeming feature about this thread is its ability to out the morons.

clauski

by clauski » 25 Aug 2009 22:19

I don't think he's done himself many favours yet but we'll wait and see. I do wonder if he feels let down by the board himself though and he may be wondering just what he's walked into

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 25 Aug 2009 22:20

Platypuss The only redeeming feature about this thread is its ability to out the morons.

Step foward sir...........

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Aug 2009 22:21

Do you really think both SC and BR jsut didn't fancy signing players? Honestly? If you think there is a significant budget there(up to this point) to attract the 3/4 players this side needs, you are very mistaken.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 25 Aug 2009 22:59

Rodgers appears to be all talk and no action. He hasn't earned the right yet to talk like he does. I hear this clap trap about world class models every day at work and it's usually there to hide deficiencies where the reverse is often the case.

Less talk, Rodgered, and more action. This is a results-based industry (see, he's even got me onto the bullshit bingo language).
Last edited by Man Friday on 26 Aug 2009 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 26 Aug 2009 10:33

RFC paid 800k for Rodgers

we could have got Tisdale for less than half that. I'm sure he would have bought Moxey with him too, for a combined fee of less than what we paid for a manager with 20 games experience :|

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Aug 2009 11:44

Or we could have got Darren Ferguson or Roy Keane perhaps, both managing teams below us in the table.

All clubs need balls and patience sometimes. Peterborough's players, who have come up with the team, face the same challenges as our youngsters. It takes time to adapt and learn.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 26 Aug 2009 11:53

Royal Rother Or we could have got Darren Ferguson or Roy Keane perhaps, both managing teams below us in the table.

All clubs need balls and patience sometimes. Peterborough's players, who have come up with the team, face the same challenges as our youngsters. It takes time to adapt and learn.

Would have much preferred Ferguson to Rodgers in all honesty.

But Rodgers is here, he'll be here for a while yet, massive week for him this one.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 26 Aug 2009 11:58

The whole year inn RFC paid 800k for Rodgers

we could have got Tisdale for less than half that. I'm sure he would have bought Moxey with him too, for a combined fee of less than what we paid for a manager with 20 games experience :|

Good shout really, because of geography and Saturday a.m. work I 've been to Exeter a lot over the last two seasons. They play it on the green stuff and there is more than a whiff of Elm Park around their place. Tisdale is good and has proven ability, Moxey on a good day was alright and there is talent and experience at lower league levels.

Maybe our scouting system needs buffing up?

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 26 Aug 2009 12:02

Royal Rother Or we could have got Darren Ferguson or Roy Keane perhaps, both managing teams below us in the table.

They are below us because they haven't played us yet

3 of our next 4, doncaster, peterbrough and barnsley

should be very telling!
Last edited by weybridgewanderer on 26 Aug 2009 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Aug 2009 12:53

Top 10 by the end of September!

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 26 Aug 2009 12:58

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Aug 2009 13:25

I really hate Brendan Rodgers. What an arrogant Cnut. And I don't really want him as our manager. This isn't knee jerk. I think he's a pr*ck.

I hate the fact he said that about Smith. I hate the fact he talks and talks and talks with nothing behind it.

I also hate the fact that Watford fans now hate us.

(I will take all of this back if he starts to do well of course, am just annoyed and used to the relaxed, calm management style of Sir Steve who wouldn't have ballesd up this transfer, would have been honest and quiet until he knew Smith had come to us).

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 26 Aug 2009 19:57

It is widely accepted that Tisdale applied

It is a shame that a manager with no experience gets the nod because he has a laminated book of tactics and a reference from mourinho, whilst Tisdale with his back to back promotions and unbelievable transfer record will have a chance to show his worth in the Exeter-Reading league game next season

Just sad really. But we are stuck now

417 posts